No till drill

Help Support CattleToday:

rnh2

Reaction score
1) what do you think is the best no till drill for a 50 horse tractor 2) why 3) what is the going rate for custom drilling. Tia

1) what do you think is the best no till drill for a 50 horse tractor 2) why 3) what is the going rate for custom drilling. Tia
50 HP is pretty low so you definitely want to stay in the small end. I'm guessing something like a 6' Great Plains or 6' Tye on its on wheels so it carries its on weight would be best. They're surprisingly heavy to pull and if you go with a 3pt with a 50 horse tractor you're gonna need a good bit of weight on the front.

I run a 10' John Deere 1590. My 85HP JD6310 will pull it, but it pushes it around on hills and definitely feels undersized. I usually hook it to the 6150 just so I don't have to worry about mud or hills.

we ran a Great Plains 3pt for years and it was great. Almost no problems, but it was super heavy. I've run a pull GP and a TYE and they're basically the same in that size range.
The John Deere are a big step up because the hydraulics help push the colters in the ground as opposed to using its own weight. But they're also a huge jump in price and weight.

as to going rate, depends on size and location. On my 10' I get $80/hr plus seed (more if I have to haul it any distance), I know guys with larger NTs that get $150-200/hr. But that's in North Georgia. You could probably drive 50 miles and find a totally different price. Also a lot of government natural resource groups have rentals available, but price varies. I've seen them by the acre, hour, and by the day.

True full function no-till will be pretty well max you out at @ 6'. especially if you have hills etc. All of the advice above is pretty good. Great Plains is a good drill and they make a 6' pull type. A 3pt will be a bit heavy for most 50hp tractors in my experience.

I have a 6' 3pt. that I do a good bit of custom work with. Depending on the ground I usually get $40 an acre and up depending on size of job and terrain. Need to be making between $85-100 an hour to make it worth doing. That's pretty close to his rates listed above.

Latest posts