Electric vehicles

Help Support CattleToday:

I really hope electric vehicles are the way of the future. I'm just not convinced we are there yet. They are fast quiet and can be efficient depending on where the electricity comes from. I just think we need way better batteries and much more electricity. The grid can hardly handle a heat or cold front much less more electric cars right now. I think we need more nuclear power. I know it sounds scary to some but it seems in may be the cleanest way to produce huge amounts of power going forward.
What do y'all think about the nuclear power plants?
Would you want one next to your farm and/or house ?

Saw a article the other day and a electric truck (I think a Ford 150) pulling a camper only got 85 miles. They are not there yet

Probably right there , you would live for years with the smell but with the nuclear ☢️ plant you would be dead 💀 immediately with an accident.
Nobody ever die in or near a refinery accident? How common are refinery accidents vs. nuclear?
I wonder if there has ever been a mainstream energy producing technology. As long as the commies aren't included, or plants built on a fault line and with exposure to tsunami risk…

We've (me and my son) have four work trucks. We've replaced the chainsaws air compressors, sprayers, drills, impact, bandsaws, grinders and weed eater s all with battery power.
When it comes to a vehicle your cost percent on battery is a little exaggerated.
And you should credit things the electric doesn't consume or need. Coolant,oil gas, their associated tanks pumps, and lines. No multispeed transmission. The list goes on. Yes they have improvement to make but make no mistake they will make these improvements. Oh and those batteries already have 8 year warranty. I'm not trying to save the world or stir the pot. Just looking at things honestly.
When you get 4 work trucks that are EV and happy then maybe they have the bugs/ problems worked out. I will probably be dead by then. The small hand tools are great, but for heavy duty jobs they are not there yet. An EV vehicle cost 10k more vs. gas so you can still do maintenance on the gas . I have some great battery hand tools, but none to compete when I need heavy duty.

EV battery costs could spike 22% by 2026 as raw material shortages

When you get 4 work trucks that are EV and happy then maybe they have the bugs/ problems worked out. I will probably be dead by then. The small hand tools are great, but for heavy duty jobs they are not there yet. An EV vehicle cost 10k more vs. gas so you can still do maintenance on the gas . I have some great battery hand tools, but none to compete when I need heavy duty.

EV battery costs could spike 22% by 2026 as raw material shortages

I agree. But I'm going to bring up the point of not long ago those battery powered hand tools weren't very good.

Would you want one next to your farm and/or house ?
Well no. But I think it would be a cleaner neighbor that any kind of fossil fuel power generation. And It can't be any louder than a wind mill farm. Seems like a nuclear plant would fit well in a rural area were less people would be affected. I just can't see how they aren't the way of the future. So I think we need to be spending money on making nuclear better and safer.

Also without looking up the articles my memory says there weren't very many people that died at Chernobyl. Some first responders but hardly any workers or citizens. Not sure about the japan incident. Could be remembering wrong too.
Talking nuclear with a friend the other day and he commented that if they can run a submarine on a little nuclear reactor why not each rural county have its own? Not sure if that would be economical but it's an idea to think about anyway.

The electric cars will eventually get to were they need to be. Right now they are way overpriced and the infrastructure isn't there but it'll get there soon. The govt is upping the reqs on new cars so fast the price is skyrocketing so it won't be too many years the prices will be equal also. If there was an electric 1 ton pickup that could go 500 miles on a charge I might buy one. The cordless tools now days are awesome. Not sure about chainsaws or compressors but everything else is great. We really need someone in government to listen to Musk though, his stuff isn't perfect but by far the best. GM, Ford, and Dodge will bomb for years before they get it right.

The electric cars will eventually get to were they need to be. Right now they are way overpriced and the infrastructure isn't there but it'll get there soon. The govt is upping the reqs on new cars so fast the price is skyrocketing so it won't be too many years the prices will be equal also. If there was an electric 1 ton pickup that could go 500 miles on a charge I might buy one. The cordless tools now days are awesome. Not sure about chainsaws or compressors but everything else is great. We really need someone in government to listen to Musk though, his stuff isn't perfect but by far the best. GM, Ford, and Dodge will bomb for years before they get it right.
Seems like maybe they don't like musk because he is less involved in the political bs. He spends alot of time talking bad about politicians and such on social media. I like what he says. He calls bs when he sees it.

Plans under way for nuclear energy. Countries in Europe are way ahead of the USA on nuclear. To much fossil fuel lobby money evolved to allow the USA to move on and be the leader in energy.

The regs and the financial cost of safety protocols are what's holding the US back in nuclear energy. Well, that and (as is somewhat evidenced by comments in this thread) .... NIMBY.

When you showed me the cordless portable drill press it was like taking a acholic to the liquor store. Cost me another grand lol..So I'm telling you get you a Milwaukee cordless compressor (not the inflator) and thank me later. If you really want to treat yourself get the 18volt backpack sprayer.... 💕

Backpack sprayers are heavy enough without lugging a battery around too.......
Last time I used my 4 gal pump up back sprayer, I had to sit it on the 4th step up, fill it up, then sit myself on the 3rd step and strap it on so I could stand up with it.

(I hate being old)

Backpack sprayers are heavy enough without lugging a battery around too.......
Last time I used my 4 gal pump up back sprayer, I had to sit it on the 4th step up, fill it up, then sit myself on the 3rd step and strap it on so I could stand up with it.

(I hate being old)
Ours are used 99 percent of the time for fire safety while welding. Sits on the back of the truck or welding trailer.

Latest posts