Electric vehicles

Help Support CattleToday:

I wouldn't be sitting at a charger station for 8 hours and charging at home would be quite a bit cheaper as well unless your cost of electricity is out of this world.

Son in law was down last weekend. Retired military, now a commercial pilot. Said the Chicago airport had transitioned to all electric transport busses but recently, all he saw was back to the gas and asked why. Well, because there were a lot of maintenance problems with the electric and nobody knows how to fix them. So they're actually leasing gas busses in the meantime.

Is that shipping container full of electricity that runs into the vehicle through the hose?

I'll just have $10 dollars worth please just to get me home.

Ken

I do like the idea of an electric vehicle but they are going to have to get the charging rate improved or have massive numbers of bowsers to fill you up at the service centres although in reality most will be topped up at home after the daily commute and the main place for these charging stations will be on the major highways where you are travelling a bit of distance.

Ken

I really hope electric vehicles are the way of the future. I'm just not convinced we are there yet. They are fast quiet and can be efficient depending on where the electricity comes from. I just think we need way better batteries and much more electricity. The grid can hardly handle a heat or cold front much less more electric cars right now. I think we need more nuclear power. I know it sounds scary to some but it seems in may be the cleanest way to produce huge amounts of power going forward.
What do y'all think about the nuclear power plants?

I wonder how much a little Honda generator would increase the range. I had been considering an electric car but thankfully spring and summer work came soon enough that the thought got pushed to the side. Would like to see them prove themselves to be superior first. I do believe they are cheaper to run than gas/ diesel but battery capacity is my biggest problem with them.

I really hope electric vehicles are the way of the future. I'm just not convinced we are there yet. They are fast quiet and can be efficient depending on where the electricity comes from. I just think we need way better batteries and much more electricity. The grid can hardly handle a heat or cold front much less more electric cars right now. I think we need more nuclear power. I know it sounds scary to some but it seems in may be the cleanest way to produce huge amounts of power going forward.

Fortunately most cars will be charged in the off times (likely overnight), not during peak use. So that helps but the power grid still isn't there. Especially when you consider things like apartment complexes, every one of those chargers needs a 50 amp 240v circuit. That's a lot of power when there's a couple hundred cars in a lot.

I don't think there is any clear winner when it comes to renewable energy. Nuclear is great, if you can keep humans from cutting corners and neglecting protocol like they so often do. Solar is promising but doesn't really pay for itself unless you live in an area where energy is very expensive. Wind turbines can't be installed in urban areas.

I wonder how much a little Honda generator would increase the range. I had been considering an electric car but thankfully spring and summer work came soon enough that the thought got pushed to the side. Would like to see them prove themselves to be superior first. I do believe they are cheaper to run than gas/ diesel but battery capacity is my biggest problem with them.

You would need a big generator. It takes a lot more than 3.5hp or whatever that little Honda puts out to move a car. Can't get more power out than what you put in.

Some of these cars won't even charge fully on a typical 15 amp 110v circuit. The batteries are massive, the electric F150 can power your whole house for more than a week if you're only running the essentials.

If you're in an accident what happens to the battery and all that stored power. I'd like an electric car but will wait until in becomes mainstream i think. Our trucks will always be diesel i think, although huge investment is going into hydrogen technology at the moment. This is all good news because making electricity and hydrogen doesn't create any greenhouse gases like cars on fossil fuels do......

I would like to see a nuclear power plant in Australia but doubt that it will happen. We have just had a change of government with the promise of going full steam on renewables. Many homes here now have a substantial solar panel bank that can easily run the household during the day including air conditioners and surplus going to the grid. There will likely be generous subsidies for batteries to run the house at night. I think the "Green" people are a dillusionery though with there expectations of batteries, they will come home from work and turn on the AC and expect the batteries to run it all night. Not to mention overcast weather. It is obvious to me that some form of power generation that can be quickly fired up to supply the short falls when required and that is the problem firing up at short notice. No matter how much storage there is, there are times when some form of generation is required. I have been living off the grid for 15 years now so I have a fair idea on these things.

Ken

Really saving the environment. Big diesel engines running the charging stations. I have never seen so much junk being made in my life.

Last night put a used crankcase (new been discontinued and very lucky to find used) and other parts in a almost new Stihl MS661c chainsaw that had been ran over. Stihl still sells these saws and the crankcase and other parts have are already discontinued. Put $1300 in a saw that you can't get parts for. Also the quality build is a POS compared to the older ones. We have became a throw away society and these electric vehicles when the batteries are gone, which want last long, they will be to throw away as a new battery will be 60-70% what the vehicle cost.

I will rebuild/fix my current vehicles as long as I can get parts and are able.

Last edited:
"Fortunately most cars will be charged in the off times (likely overnight), not during peak use."
In your dreams unless the heavy hand of government forces it.

Really saving the environment. Big diesel engines running the charging stations. I have never seen so much junk being made in my life.

Last night put a used crankcase (new been discontinued and very lucky to find used) and other parts in a almost new Stihl MS661c chainsaw that had been ran over. Stihl still sells these saws and the crankcase and other parts have are already discontinued. Put $1300 in a saw that you can't get parts for. Also the quality build is a POS compared to the older ones. We have became a throw away society and these electric vehicles when the batteries are gone, which want last long, they will be to throw away as a new battery will be 60-70% what the vehicle cost.

We've (me and my son) have four work trucks. We've replaced the chainsaws air compressors, sprayers, drills, impact, bandsaws, grinders and weed eater s all with battery power.
When it comes to a vehicle your cost percent on battery is a little exaggerated.
And you should credit things the electric doesn't consume or need. Coolant,oil gas, their associated tanks pumps, and lines. No multispeed transmission. The list goes on. Yes they have improvement to make but make no mistake they will make these improvements. Oh and those batteries already have 8 year warranty. I'm not trying to save the world or stir the pot. Just looking at things honestly.

It takes BTU's to move x from point A to B no matter if it's electric or gas.
If your electricity isn't nuclear or hydro your burning hydrocarbons to produce it.
Efficiency goes down the tube when compared to conventional vehicles.
They are not electric vehicles but battery operated they store electricity not produce it.
Now go to diesel electric like a locomotive and you have a very efficient and powerful vehicle.

VW plans and thoughts on EV battery recycling.

It takes BTU's to move x from point A to B no matter if it's electric or gas.
If your electricity isn't nuclear or hydro your burning hydrocarbons to produce it.
Efficiency goes down the tube when compared to conventional vehicles.
They are not electric vehicles but battery operated they store electricity not produce it.
Now go to diesel electric like a locomotive and you have a very efficient and powerful vehicle.
Sure, until the government makes you put Tier 4 emissions on it - then you have another expensive turd

Latest posts