ELECTRIC FENCER

Help Support CattleToday:

CHESTER

Reaction score
WHAT BRAND ELECTRIC FENCERS DO YOU ALL USE? I HAD A GOOD OLD ONE THAT GOT STRUCK BY LIGHTNING. I BOUGHT A NEW ONE (ZAREBA) FROM TSC. IF I SHORT IT TO A POST I CAN SEE A NICE BLUE SPARK, BUT THE CALVES SEEM TO WALK RIGHT THRU IT LIKE ITS NOT EVEN THERE. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THERE IS SOMETHING BETTER OUT THERE.

CHESTER":3qt6uq1n said:
WHAT BRAND ELECTRIC FENCERS DO YOU ALL USE? I HAD A GOOD OLD ONE THAT GOT STRUCK BY LIGHTNING. I BOUGHT A NEW ONE (ZAREBA) FROM TSC. IF I SHORT IT TO A POST I CAN SEE A NICE BLUE SPARK, BUT THE CALVES SEEM TO WALK RIGHT THRU IT LIKE ITS NOT EVEN THERE. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THERE IS SOMETHING BETTER OUT THERE.
Do a Search, there have been some lenghthy discussions on Electric fences. Check your ground.

You probably have a good charger. Is your grounding system as good? Most now encourage three ground rods. I only have one, but it works. It is 6 or 8 feet in the ground. I have not has a lighteniing problem since I installed the TSC lightening arrester.

I don't care for the Zareba brand either....we have one that we use only as a backup til we can get a PARMAK Super 3 shipped to us, I think we are on our 3rd one in about 11 years, usually lighting. Two reasons, one, like you said, the Zareba just doesn't seem to do much and two, the PARMAK has a gauge on it so you can tell if there is a draw on the fence or completely not working.

I've been using a couple portable Gallagher solar chargers that slide onto the top of a t-post. The oldest one is going on 5 years and I've had no trouble with it. I bought a Parmak solar for my father a few years ago when I found one on sale but it hasn't proven to be as reliable as the Gallagher. A single strand of fence will put the fear of God in our cows.

MITCHWI

I ORDERED A PARMAK FROM KENCOVE AND RECIVED IT LAST NIGHT. GOT IT HOOKED UP AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

chester -

would you please not type everything in all capital letters? it is like yelling all of the time. if you are retired army - artillary, i can understand. thanks. :)

sorry dusty, my computer does not have speakers so i can not tell how loud i am typing, also i did not know i had to take a typing class to post here. i will look for a different forum.

Oh, no, Chester, I didn't mean to offend you. If you are comfortable with the way you type, you won't hear anyting else from me. It was merely a suggestion. This is not something I care to argue about - it is not worth losing a knowledgable resource or a potential friend over. :cboy:

But, if you are that easily offended, you might want to grow some thicker skin. ;-)

CHESTER":17noq76c said:
sorry dusty, my computer does not have speakers so i can not tell how loud i am typing, also i did not know i had to take a typing class to post here. i will look for a different forum.

Chester stay on the forum. Type anyway you're comfortable . I enjoy this forum and have much to learn about posting (and cattle) ;-) . This is my second post so I need other newbies on here to take some of the heat off me.

CD

Latest posts