• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

electric fencer and weather

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry

Reaction score
kenny thomas said:
sstterry said:
dvcochran said:
I agree the ground is essential to a successful electric fence. So let's talk grounding. How is everyone else doing it? I seem to do just as good or better with three 4' pieces of clean rebar spaced 6' apart over a copper rod 8' in the ground. It is pretty hard to drive a smallish rod that far in the ground around here.
Do I understand that you dig a trench 8' deep?
I have 3 8' galvanized rods buried in the drip of the barn. Not 8' deep but buried and 6' apart.

That is exactly the same setup I have only one would only go 4' before rock If it gets dry, 3 buckets of water help.

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Any little bit of rain from the barn roof always goes to the correct place. A few years ago during a drought I also let a water hose run for a couple hours in the same area. Found out I had a short in an underground crossing area instead of a ground problem

Ned Jr.

Reaction score
I have several solar 12v Parmak chargers around and they work great. Quick and easy to set up. I do a lazy man set up often by just tying into the fence for my ground. All the steel posts make a good ground.

I used Gallagher for years and they are ok but in my opinion over priced and overrated. The slightest short will knock them out. Not very well protected either.

I have 1 Patriot and it’s been a good one.

IMO the Taylor Fence Cyclops charger is the Cadillac of them all. It’s amazing how well it can handle a short and they are very well protected. Also American made!

BigBear56

Reaction score
dvcochran said:
I agree the ground is essential to a successful electric fence. So let's talk grounding. How is everyone else doing it? I seem to do just as good or better with three 4' pieces of clean rebar spaced 6' apart over a copper rod 8' in the ground. It is pretty hard to drive a smallish rod that far in the ground around here.

(2) 8’ copper 6’ apart.

4hfarms

Reaction score
I run step in posts and poly braid for daily pastures. My solar charger, posts and wire move with them all over the property. I have 8 copper ground rods ( $12 @ Lowes ) placed all over the farm. I only need one 8ft rod per pasture. I dump a bucket of water (if if hadnt rained) prior to set up. The longest amount of time I use any one spot is a matter of a few days up to a week. Seems to work out well so far...

Lee VanRoss

Reaction score
Ditto Cyclops! Set it up with good grounding and fiber posts. Back into it and hit High C........

sandcreekfarm

Reaction score
thinking about purchasing a electric fencer, looking at a super enegizeer 5 or rangemaster i dont need the rangemaster but the local coop only has that ccharger. will there be a problem if i buy the 100 mile when i dont need it. also will it shorten the life if i put it in a wooden home made box or metal box to keep it out of the weather. im looking for a real good charger. trhat is hot
i am using Cyclops 32-joule , it's very strong!