Electric over hydraulic motor

Help Support CattleToday:

nocows

Reaction score
I am not real familiar with wiring one of these pumps, I bought a used bale spike for my truck. It is an older model one made by Tri-L manufacturing in Ozark Mo the label on the motor is all but worn off I can tell it is an KTI hydraulic/motor pump I believe it said DO -4366 as a model number but I have been unable to find that anywhere on the web. The guy I bought it from had it wired directly to the battery of his truck with 4awg wire which seems sufficient considering it's limited use it's not constant. I have some concerns about it needing a circuit breaker or some sort of fuse in the event the hot wire rubs through on the frame or something like that.

I am not sure how much it is drawing as I cannot find any Information about the motor, do I need an inline fuse or a automotive circuit breaker? If so what amp?

YOU DO NEED A FUSE OR BREAKER. it should be installed as close to the battery as possible. A proper wiring install should have the correct size wire for the amperage of the motor and the fuse is actually used to protect the wiring not the device wired into it. I would suggest getting a good meter or take it to an electrical shop to get an accurate amperage draw and do the wiring and install a proper size fuse. It will be cheaper than letting your truck burn up.

They're basically a starter motor, you do need a fuse and sufficient wire to run it.

Latest posts