Temp electric fence I need advice just arrived

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you have a fence tester? If so I can tell you how to check the ground.
Take the wire off the insulators or get another post to completely short out the fence. Then check the ground wire and see how many volts is on it.
Keep adding ground rods until the volts are 0. I'm going to bet with 2 6' posts you don't have enough

kenny thomas said:
Do you have a fence tester? If so I can tell you how to check the ground.
Take the wire off the insulators or get another post to completely short out the fence. Then check the ground wire and see how many volts is on it.
Keep adding ground rods until the volts are 0. I'm going to bet with 2 6' posts you don't have enough

Got it will do!

If so or for anyone else that has had a charger hit by lightning.
No matter how your wire comes from the charger go to the top of a post. Coated wire works best but if slick it's ok.
With coated wire go down the side of the post and stop an inch or so above a steel rod you have already driven into the ground a couple feet. Make a sharp 360 degree turn back up the side of the post to the wire. As the lightning hits the fence wire and heads toward the charger it will bounce off and hit the steel post instead of making the sharp turn on to the charger. Just make the sharp turn far enough away from the steel post that it doesn't spark with normal use.

kenny thomas said:
If so or for anyone else that has had a charger hit by lightning.
No matter how your wire comes from the charger go to the top of a post. Coated wire works best but if slick it's ok.
With coated wire go down the side of the post and stop an inch or so above a steel rod you have already driven into the ground a couple feet. Make a sharp 360 degree turn back up the side of the post to the wire. As the lightning hits the fence wire and heads toward the charger it will bounce off and hit the steel post instead of making the sharp turn on to the charger. Just make the sharp turn far enough away from the steel post that it doesn't spark with normal use.

I am having a hard time visualizing what you mean here. But I would like to try it if I undrestood what you mean. I do use lightning arrestors on my fences though and have not lost a charger in the last 3 years.

kenny thomas said:
Chapin81 said:
kenny thomas said:
Since it has blood inside the horn I just wondered. I can see how their horns would catch on the wire. Bet within a few days you won't be able to get them to get close to the fence
I'm hoping for that as well. I'll let you know tomorrow if they stayed there entire night. Lol, I hope the first call I get tomorrow morning is "hey guess what... they stayed in their paddock!!" Or " hey guess what... they destroyed everything!!" Lol

Also I forgot to mention the unit I purchased is an S400 and didn't realized there are two settings one which gives you 7300-7500 volts and another one where it jumps up to 9500-10,000 volts. I told them to leave it on the high setting. Maybe they will think twice before touching it.

The unit is an S400 model from Gallagher. It's an all in one unit.

kenny thomas said:
So you are using a solar powered charger. Looks good.
Did the cows stay in last night

Hi Kenny, the cows stayed the entire night I'm ecstatic!!! Here's the link to the vid they trampled the grass. I'm going to reduce the size of the paddock a bit everyday it's still too big. 110 cows in there right now. They will test the ground rods soon. I'll let you know what they say.
https://youtu.be/u1CtETybBA8

Chapin81 said:
kenny thomas said:
So you are using a solar powered charger. Looks good.
Did the cows stay in last night

Hi Kenny, the cows stayed the entire night I'm ecstatic!!! Here's the link to the vid they trampled the grass. I'm going to reduce the size of the paddock a bit everyday it's still too big. 110 cows in there right now. They will test the ground rods soon. I'll let you know what they say. BTW thanks for all the advice you and everyone else have provided. THANK YOU :cboy:
https://youtu.be/u1CtETybBA8

Looks like the cattle got the hang of it. We have another herd that also has to be trained. The results look promising.

Thank you all for the advice and ideas you have provided.

Kenny I'll let you know in a few days how the ground stakes are working out. I was able to order 6ft galvanized metal stakes which should be there next week. As mentioned before we were using copper, but it was suggested to use galvanized.

https://youtu.be/wRPMU0yLUmI

I am no expert by any means but I would think copper would be just fine. Just make sure the ground wire is clamped and on an area that has been polished clean so there is good contact.

Latest posts