Electric Fence or Barbed wire for very small herd ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We are just starting out, and i mean 1 cow at a time, we now have 2 cows both pregnant with 1 calf. Hubby and I want to move our tiny herd to my mothers 6 ft tall CRP grass pasture, 14 acres. Weve had 1 cow on it before it was electrified and she got out went 1 mile down road to a 300 plus head herd couldn't blame her.
Hubby says weve got to use barbed wire all the way around or its going to happen again. I see success with cattle on winter wheat with only 2 strands of hot fence and this time cattle have one another, not alone. YOur suggestions.

Caustic Burno":37ilgkuj said:
dun":37ilgkuj said:
For peripheral fence barb for interiot fence electric

+1
Don't forget about the liabilities that go with your cattle because you shortcut on fencing.

... and don't shy away from hot wire. That cow may have just not wanted to be alone. With a little group she may not try to wonder. :)

Legally speaking, electric fences are usually not considered a fence at all, they are only a psychological barrier.. you need a physical barrier. Barbed wire, high tensile wire,.. Look up the requirements for your area, some places require 4 strands, around here it's 5, with stay-sticks every 5 feet minimum, posts at 20 feet maximum. Build whatever is considered a "legal fence" in your area to save yourself headaches in the future, and that includes other animals breaking in!

Once you have a perimeter fence, fencing the insides with electric is just fine.

Caustic Burno":39bwjbsy said:
dun":39bwjbsy said:

+1
Don't forget about the liabilities that go with your cattle because you shortcut on fencing.

A good single electric will hold cows where a not so good barb wire fence will fail.

A double wire poly fence with treed in posts will if in very good shape and maintained with a good quality charger work very well. Needs to be checked often, like daily.

Personally I like high tensile plain wire for exterior fences, barbs are bad for destroying clothes, and trees smash the wires when they land on them, high tensile will spring back.

Nesikep":qi0a3glt said:
Legally speaking, electric fences are usually not considered a fence at all, they are only a psychological barrier.. you need a physical barrier. Barbed wire, high tensile wire,.. Look up the requirements for your area, some places require 4 strands, around here it's 5, with stay-sticks every 5 feet minimum, posts at 20 feet maximum. Build whatever is considered a "legal fence" in your area to save yourself headaches in the future, and that includes other animals breaking in!

Once you have a perimeter fence, fencing the insides with electric is just fine.

I have HAD some cows that anything short of
a 6ft guardrail pen was a psychological barrier. :oops: If moving them there is going to be a yearly option I would go ahead and build a five strand barbwire fence. You will come out in the long run in saved fence trouble and peace of mind.

Caustic Burno":1nrwc58o said:
dun":1nrwc58o said:

+1

Call your extenion service to see what a legal fence is in your area.In Va, it takes eight strands o barb or a legal fence.might as well use woven wire. If allowed, 5 strands of barb should do nicely.You could also add a hot wire on the inside for training. Put in good corners and braces.They are the lir of a fence.I also like to use strainers like they build into hi tensile fence.Also, do not staple tight to the posts so the wire can flex with temperature changes.

greybeard":33bzzdnl said:
"legal fence"???
What the heck does that mean?
Some states have a definition of what is actaully a fence. A neighbor found out that 3 foot high rotten wood wasn;t, his insurance woudln;t pay for the damage to a car for his a cow that got out.

Hillbillybeefman, Yeah, I've HAD some of those too

What JW IN VA said... and yes, the definition of what a "legal" fence varies by location.. 8 strands of barbed is nuts.. I have a couple 6 strand fences and those are bad enough.

Just for what it's worth, I use six wire (barbed) on the state highway, and 5 wire fence on the county roads around my place. I use electric fencing everywhere I need temporary fencing and one field boundary between my neighbor (no cattle) and one of my hay fields (no cattle). All other fencing is either 4 wire or 5 wire barbed. Oh yea, it's all Goucho (I know that's gonna get some d discussion :lol:).

greybeard said:
"legal fence"???
What the heck does that mean?[/quotehttp://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/docs/AG/htm/AG.143.htm

Very gray area in texas , but maintaining at least the minimum can protect you from liability in cas of the worst .

fenceman":2htgool8 said:
greybeard":2htgool8 said:
"legal fence"???
What the heck does that mean?[/quotehttp://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/docs/AG/htm/AG.143.htm

Very gray area in texas , but maintaining at least the minimum can protect you from liability in cas of the worst .

There is a definition of the minimum in the Texas Ag Code.
There is also the gray area of properly maintained in the code as well.

This isn't a fence--it is a joke:
Sec. 143.028. FENCES. (a) A person is not required to fence against animals that are not permitted to run at large. Except as otherwise provided by this section, a fence is sufficient for purposes of this chapter if it is sufficient to keep out ordinary livestock permitted to run at large.
(b) In order to be sufficient, a fence must be at least four feet high and comply with the following requirements:
(1) a barbed wire fence must consist of three wires on posts no more than 30 feet apart, with one or more stays between every two posts;
(2) a picket fence must consist of pickets that are not more than six inches apart;
(3) a board fence must consist of three boards not less than five inches wide and one inch thick; and
(4) a rail fence must consist of four rails.

Every 'fence law" I've ever read about in Texas pertains to keeping free range animals OUT of cultivated land--specifically--hogs. (exception being along STATE or FEDERAL highways--not applicable to FM or other rural roads--of which= about 80,000 miles of roads in this state)
The below section is also talking about keeping animals OUT of cultivated land.
SUFFICIENT FENCE REQUIRED. Except as provided by this chapter for an area in which a local option stock law has been adopted, each gardener or farmer shall make a sufficient fence around cleared land in cultivation that is at least five feet high and will prevent hogs from passing through.

This is the part regarding state and federal highways:

Sec. 143.077. FENCES. A fence is sufficient for purposes of this chapter if it is sufficient to keep out the classes of animals not affected by this subchapter.

Acts 1981, 67th Leg., p. 1349, ch. 388, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1981.

Sec. 143.082. PENALTY. (a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly permits a head of cattle or a domestic turkey to run at large in a county or area that has adopted this subchapter.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

Acts 1981, 67th Leg., p. 1350, ch. 388, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1981. Amended by Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 51, Sec. 3, eff. Sept. 1, 1987.

SUBCHAPTER E. ANIMALS RUNNING AT LARGE ON HIGHWAYS

Sec. 143.101. DEFINITION. In this subchapter, "highway" means a U.S. highway or a state highway in this state, but does not include a numbered farm-to-market road. The term includes the portion of Recreation Road Number 255 that is located in Newton County between State Highway Number 87 and the boundary line with Jasper County.

That, is it--there is no description of a minimum fence to keep animals IN, in the state of Texas.

I did say really gray area. I just saw the sports report on morning news, and there ain't no way I'm going argue with anyone from down around Houston today. :mrgreen:

greybeard":3aqk9luy said:
This isn't a fence--it is a joke:
Sec. 143.028. FENCES. (a) A person is not required to fence against animals that are not permitted to run at large. Except as otherwise provided by this section, a fence is sufficient for purposes of this chapter if it is sufficient to keep out ordinary livestock permitted to run at large.
(b) In order to be sufficient, a fence must be at least four feet high and comply with the following requirements:
(1) a barbed wire fence must consist of three wires on posts no more than 30 feet apart, with one or more stays between every two posts;
(2) a picket fence must consist of pickets that are not more than six inches apart;
(3) a board fence must consist of three boards not less than five inches wide and one inch thick; and
(4) a rail fence must consist of four rails.

This is the section a good Houston Lawyer will use in a closed range county as the minimum standard and the joke won't be so funny.
There is also the part about willful neglect that will come and bite you as well.

Latest posts