Electric Fence or Barbed wire for very small herd ??

Help Support CattleToday:

1wlimo":2zbzz4vn said:
A good single electric will hold cows where a not so good barb wire fence will fail.

And a good barbed wire fence will hold cows where a not so good single electric will fail. Not much of a statement there.

1wlimo":2zbzz4vn said:
greybeard":2zbzz4vn said:
You do know they also make HT barbed wire?

yes, dislike that as well, ally the problems of both barb and high tensile lol.

I see it as all the benefits of both. If land around here was flat and I only had one small rectangle to fence, I can see where running electric wouldn't be a big deal. But it's not, and running electric around my entire perimeter isn't feasible. Barbed is very low maintenance if done properly, and no need to worry about weeds, lightning, etc....

M.Magis":3jwvciyi said:
1wlimo":3jwvciyi said:
A good single electric will hold cows where a not so good barb wire fence will fail.

And a good barbed wire fence will hold cows where a not so good single electric will fail. Not much of a statement there.

1wlimo":3jwvciyi said:
greybeard":3jwvciyi said:
You do know they also make HT barbed wire?

yes, dislike that as well, ally the problems of both barb and high tensile lol.

I see it as all the benefits of both. If land around here was flat and I only had one small rectangle to fence, I can see where running electric wouldn't be a big deal. But it's not, and running electric around my entire perimeter isn't feasible. Barbed is very low maintenance if done properly, and no need to worry about weeds, lightning, etc....

lol I guess it is what you are used to. I have run high tensile two strand hot wire where three barbed would have been very hard work. This was an internal fence and held the cattle, was not damaged by the dear, and moose either. Did need to fix after stupid idiots on quads and snow mobiles, but then they will cut any fence. :bang:

I've gotten to like the high tensile barbwire. It catches limbs good. Dosnt expand and contract with temperatures as much. It's a bytch to splice for sure. The staytuff crimps make it easy if you use them right. I can't imagine using what we call tiewire and plastic post for a perimeter fence. You can drive all day around here and the only places you'll find with electric fence for a perimeter fence are a couple of acres with a single wide shack a few skinny cows and horses a goat a donkey and a half dozen dirty half naked children running around.

fenceman":2w49wxhf said:
I've gotten to like the high tensile barbwire. It catches limbs good. Dosnt expand and contract with temperatures as much. It's a bytch to splice for sure. The staytuff crimps make it easy if you use them right. I can't imagine using what we call tiewire and plastic post for a perimeter fence. You can drive all day around here and the only places you'll find with electric fence for a perimeter fence are a couple of acres with a single wide shack a few skinny cows and horses a goat a donkey and a half dozen dirty half naked children running around.

I usually see that after the barb wire ran down.

This thread brings back memories. :deadhorse:

I'll bet you're steak dinner high tensile w electric will be more common in time around here. I have some old guys around here eyeballing and worried about my fence project. :lol:

SteppedInIt":3mk98wfb said:
fenceman":3mk98wfb said:

I'll bet you're steak dinner high tensile w electric will be more common in time around here. I have some old guys around here eyeballing and worried about my fence project. :lol:
It's a bet
Your the one that thought a 2 foot wide trickle of water might turn the cows right. ;-)

fenceman":a4hzizv1 said:
SteppedInIt":a4hzizv1 said:
fenceman":a4hzizv1 said:

It's a bet
Your the one that thought a 2 foot wide trickle of water might turn the cows right. ;-)

I want in on that bet with fenceman.

Fenceman don't worry you have already won this bet cause there isn't a handful of people in East Texas with any assets,
that are willing to loose everything. The law will refer to sufficient fence in the Ag code every time when a liability is involved.

SteppedInIt":z1nt59m5 said:
fenceman said:

:???:
[/quote]

If I was wrong and got you confused with someone else, and that is possible. My apologies. :tiphat:
We still got a bet though

SteppedInIt":1m3v5yvs said:
fenceman said:

:???:
[/quote][/quote]
I guess you were referring to my 'will cattle cross' thread. If you re-read that, it was these same old timers with standard wood post, barbed wire fence that told me I didn't have to fence along that gully. :cowboy:

High tensile is new to the gentlemen around here. Most of them don't know about it. If they replace or add a fence, they don't research or plan, they just get it done like they have all their life. They aren't interested, but I sure have their attention. As far as the "Ag Code," I doubt high tensile was around when it was written. I agree with greybeard comments about that and I sure the heck don't see anyone building picket fence for cattle. :lol2:

Thought it was you.
The fact that someone old with a barbwire fence told you something means nothing. If anything like the oldtimers around here. They were setting you up for a laugh.

When you get done revolutionizing fence in se Texas . Let me know. I'll buy you that steak.

fenceman":2h21szki said:
Thought it was you.
The fact that someone old with a barbwire fence told you something means nothing. If anything like the oldtimers around here. They were setting you up for a laugh.

When you get done revolutionizing fence in se Texas . Let me know. I'll buy you that steak.

The thing about that is, they don't have that gully fenced. I stop by every time I see one of them out in the pasture, and you can bet I always say something about no fence along that gully. I respect these gentlemen, and my goal is not revolutionizing anything. Just living and learning and making best decision for me and what I have going on. I think they appreciate my willingness to try something new, but I am sure its not what they would do and get their laugh anyway. And that goes beyond just a fence choice.

That's good. I don't believe I've ever gave you anything but my opinion. I hope in your case I'm wrong. I wouldn't want you to build a fence that doesn't work for you, just so I can be right. Your obviously determined to make it work. So best of luck.

WE Still Have a bet. :cboy:

Latest posts