Eleanor (Profitability from Jersey cows)

Help Support CattleToday:

I used to figure that 3 calves came out even with all expenses paid (plus value of the cow) and the 4th was the profit.... that is with dairy (holstein) or dairy x (black ang/hol cross) type calves... bringing less than straight beef calves but cost less to start usually.... that was also including all grain for the cow and what the calves would eat.....
When I was switching them off and raising 6 or more, I could really make some money on them but it took alot of extra time and effort to have the calves in the barn and bringing the cow in to them... and it got to where I just didn't see the big return for all my time and effort. With 3 to start then putting on an extra to finish up the later part of her lactation, she could go out with the calf once they were bonded and much less time and work.
No I didn't "figure" in the cost of the pasture since I would keep the cow anyway, as if she was a beef cow... and I would steal enough milk from her for the house on top of it.....
But when I was running 4 cows at a time in the barn... with 3 calves each and sometimes 4 on 2 of them, then the second batch of calves were nearly pure profit after feed costs while they were nursing them..... and you could switch the calves around to take advantage of the cow with more milk and things like that. It was wild when they would come in the barn and get the calves all sorted out for a week or 2, but they would quickly find their "preferred" momma.....and the cows liked their grain so it worked pretty good.

Pulling the big calf off her this weekend. There has really only been one she's partial to and Bessies killing it with 4 calves this year! I'll be pulling the biggest heifer off Bessie too.
This is why....
Ain't that a kick in the nutz!!
Apparently funky cervix or not she took to his last a.i.
It would have to be a dang bull calf too. Sheet!
20230518_192359.jpg

See that underbite?
20230518_193653.jpg
I got her sprayed for flies. She looks like absolute crap ya'll. This was totally unexpected.
20230518_194212.jpg
As you may know, I have an extra bottle calf on hand. I've been pouring the feed trying to get some condition on her in anticipation of Big Sexy coming this month.
Well.... here we are I guess.

Yep...
That's why she was sold. Guy said the cervix was "different" and she needed to be put with a bull.

I noticed a couple weeks ago that she APPEARED to be really bagging up again and she was only letting one calf kinda hang around her. It was her favorite calf of the bunch but she would just kick him off too. I just figured she was tired of being a nurse cow and wanted a break and was drying herself off.

She knew better than I

I do keep Powdered colostrum on hand for just such an emergency!

Yep...
That's why she was sold. Guy said the cervix was "different" and she needed to be put with a bull.

I noticed a couple weeks ago that she APPEARED to be really bagging up again and she was only letting one calf kinda hang around her. It was her favorite calf of the bunch but she would just kick him off too. I just figured she was tired of being a nurse cow and wanted a break and was drying herself off.

She knew better than I

I do keep Powdered colostrum on hand for just such an emergency!
You might want to check with the dairy you got her from. That calf might be worth something to small operators if he was from a wanted/respected AI bull...the small dairy operators are having a more difficult time getting replacement bulls that aren't really expensive and it might be worth it for you not to cut him. Just an idea with some info and it's probably worth as much as I charged you for it.

You might want to check with the dairy you got her from. That calf might be worth something to small operators if he was from a wanted/respected AI bull...the small dairy operators are having a more difficult time getting replacement bulls that aren't really expensive and it might be worth it for you not to cut him. Just an idea with some info and it's probably worth as much as I charged you for it.
Appreciate the thoughts!
I did send the fella an update with her. He's a cool dude really. He was not interested.
He a.i's but only keeps heifers.

I'm not sure what the story was on how she got bred originally. Kind of odd.

I'm really glad to have a fresh cow. The bottle calf was fun for a while but it's worn off. 😆

Appreciate the thoughts!
I did send the fella an update with her. He's a cool dude really. He was not interested.
He a.i's but only keeps heifers.

I'm not sure what the story was on how she got bred originally. Kind of odd.

I'm really glad to have a fresh cow. The bottle calf was fun for a while but it's worn off. 😆

I wasn't thinking for the place you got him from as a bull, just maybe any smaller operators in the area...

I'm sure the bottle feeding gets old after a while...but you got to do what you got to do

You must have big hands. Daphne (retired) had thumb and forefinger finger back teats. I made a brassier out of an old sweatshirt and bathrobe belts to cover the fronts so the calf could stretch the hinds.
View attachment 30345

7 calves later they're still tiny.
View attachment 30344
Is that considered a deformity? Something that could passed on? I'd never breed a beef cow that had those teats.

Is that considered a deformity? Something that could passed on? I'd never breed a beef cow that had those teats.
That's considered a feature on a modern dairy cow. Her front teats are larger than most dairymen would prefer.

I had a pic somewhere of me milking but I can't find it!

Here we are. She was making a LOT LOT LOT! Dripping milk. New baby couldn't possibly take that much. But i had a spare baby just looking for a mama!
Look at that udder!!
20230519_184230.jpg
Git in there baby girl!! No more bottle for you!
20230519_184423.jpg
All gassed up and ready to go!
20230519_190730.jpg
Those 2 didn't even make a dent in what Eleanor was carrying for milk. I let her man child in. He's been bawling his head off standing outside the pen most of the day.
20230519_190943.jpg

I'm gonna get him weaned soon. That'll be her 5th calf. ALLLLL profit and the cows done been paid for. Eleanor being bred was certainly a blessing! Shes fresh and can get back to being a mama. I feel a bit bad about it. No break whatsoever between lactations. That WILL NOT happen next time!!

Congrats Murry. I wish I could buy that bull calf. Looks to me like his mama has enough teat for half a handful. You could take some milk for the house but they hold up their cream for the calf you know. Most cream comes from the last squeezins.

That's considered a feature on a modern dairy cow. Her front teats are larger than most dairymen would prefer.

Her front teats where the ones that calves prefered and the ones I milked. Although under that 'brassier' picture her fronts were bigger than the hinds and she was a first calf heifer. She came from a dairy. and was sired by a cleanup bull.

Around here there are six commercial dairys all the Jerseys and Holstiens too have those little tiny milking machine teats. I'm done with these 2 and 3 finger teats so I bought a milking machine for my latest dairy farm heifer.

Another cute warm n fuzzy pic!
Had to shove him back under the panels. THATS why my panels are upside down in the small pen! 😆
This guy is something else. When he lays down, he don't get up for nothing! Very lazy calf. 😆
20230521_111933.jpg
How bout that @J Hoy
Calf was born here. No pesticides, herbicides aside from some occasional 2-4d in spots only.

This calf was a.i sired at the dairy I got her from. But if you've been watching, you knew that. I have no idea what chemicals that place uses...

I was going to make a seperate post, but Eleanor and her 3 children went to my south acre. I went ahead and let the other jersey steer in with her. Why not?
There's more profit (that's what this thread was started for) to be made with a beef calf, but I won't have feed the fart any more. She's got plenty of milk anyway. Even with 2 calves she drips.

Opal will be along shortly. I've got her penned. If I decide I wanna milk one, she's gonna be my girl I think.

And here they are. Don't dog me too hard guys. I know she's thin. She's getting extra feed and ive got good grass now. You've probly noticed I have not posted any full body pics of her. I know she's full jersey, but she should be better. This will NOT happen again next year. Her Oops baby is doing great tho.

The blaze faced heifer just got zapped and came a running! 🤣 every time!
That's why I put up that 7 strand fence with hot. They stay off of it real quick!
Even the 5 strand with hot works pretty good. The 7 strand is on the north side to keep em from going for other mama cows.
20230521_124433.jpg20230521_124453.jpg
Edited to add.... doing the hokey pokey!
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
20230521_120757.jpg20230521_120755.jpg20230521_120800.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts