Ekka photos (Euro breeds)

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
Here are a few shots of some of the Euro breed cattle at this year's Brisbane Ekka. Enjoy!!

Bazadaise

Picture092.jpg

Picture091.jpg

Charolais

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

Gelbvieh

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

Simmental

IMG_1086.jpg

Picture127.jpg

Romagnola

Picture044.jpg

Andrew

I love these bazadase. They are on my list of preferable french breeds, (along with blondes, limousine, tarentaise, gascon, salers, et.c.

ANAZAZI":18htnidd said:
I love these bazadase. They are on my list of preferable french breeds, (along with blondes, limousine, tarentaise, gascon, salers, et.c.

You going to leave any french breeds OFF that top list? Besides Chars and Maines?

Although traditional Maines are stunning animals.

No surprise here I really like those Gelbvieh. Wish that black bull was a bit longer though.

Great pics TF thanks for sharing. LOVE the GV's ...

Very impressed with the Bazadaise though, wow, now that is muscle..

I really like the red char, except maybe he could have a bit more length. Would love to hear other opinions of him please

townfarmer":do650tar said:
aussie_cowgirl":do650tar said:
Bazadaise are a French breed. New to Australia really. Belgian Blues are also here.

http://www.thecattlesite.com/breeds/bee ... e/overview

It's been a long time since I've seen or heard of a Belgium Blue. There were quite a few around in the mid 90's.

Andrew

There's a guy over here that uses them. Although even with a 1/4 BB 3/4 angus they reach supermarket spec weight without the fat cover required. If I remember rightly he was getting carcass weights of 360+kgs but not meeting the 7mm fat cover. And my uni uses a few content steers for our carcass shows. Which once again normally have to be fed quite long to get the cover and also hardly ever win after penalties because of carcass weight.

I had thought that the Bazadaise exhibited double-muscling like a Belgian Blue, but it appears they are their own French breed. I had never heard of them before this.

Thanks for the link!

Michael

aussie_cowgirl":b7z6tgys said:
ANAZAZI":b7z6tgys said:

You going to leave any french breeds OFF that top list? Besides Chars and Maines?

Left those chars off the list on purpose. too much bone and calving difficulties, not nearly enough muscle for a terminal breed.

ANAZAZI":10ky8b1g said:
aussie_cowgirl":10ky8b1g said:
ANAZAZI":10ky8b1g said:

Left those chars off the list on purpose. too much bone and calving difficulties, not nearly enough muscle for a terminal breed.

I dunno, if you select the wrong one, of course. As long as you keep an eye on birthweights and don't use them on small cattle you can get some cracker calves. One of the best and most consistent crosses I've seen are murray grey chars. Those 2 pictured in this thread are pretty average, to me they have got the negative traits from both the euro and aussie types. Aussies tend breed them soft but sacrifice muscle, but the french as you probably well know are large boned, poor structured in the legs and have those calving problems. But if you're smart and get a good mix of types, the crossy calves drop and grow like mushrooms.

Being from Europe though I can understand why you have an opinion on them like you do. A lot of the full french are trouble, like you say.

Hey I would still like someone to appraise that red char bull - there's been no takers! Don't know the bull or whose he is, but would enjoy hearing opinions. How about it Aussie?
It's nearly bull buying time again for us, we need a few this year, and want to get my eye in!

IMG_1029.jpg

Ok I'll bite. I like him pretty well for a charolais. Starting at the front and workin back, he has a lovely long neck and plenty of masculinity and sires outlook. Front legs are well angulated and the shoulder is well laid in and smooth. No excess fat in the brisket. He isnt particularly tight in the chest, and is strong over the topline. Tight sheath and what looks to be good testicles. Very long body. Good hindquarter with plenty of muscle, quite a long rump and I like the way the pelvis is set up in terms of hips, pins, angulation and overall pelvic capacity. Which is important for his daughters. The hind leg angulation isnt perfect but its very acceptable. As someone pointed out he is very heavily boned, a touch less bone would actually be optimal for yield but bone also equals muscle so the more bone generally the more muscle ... he is a soft type of charolais, so not extreme in his muscling, which I like. The red factor I know is getting more and more popular, particularly when the breed is used in areas such as yours, jilleroo. If I had to pick at faults in him, its difficult to say but it looks a bit like he carries most of his muscle in the hindquarter, whereas I'd like to see that muscle also carried along the topline all the way to the chine (just behind the shoulders). Also difficult to say from the side pic but maybe he could be a little more sprung in the rib?

aussie_cowgirl":m2lwhlsg said:
Being from Europe though I can understand why you have an opinion on them like you do. A lot of the full french are trouble, like you say.
Oh, we have all types of them around here. Breeders seem only to be interested in two things, daily gain, and if they are polled or not. If the animal is polled it can look anyway it wants to, and still be considered breeding stock. Plus, a lot of people here use commercial chars as suckler dams, wich I belive is usually very uneconomical compared to smaller frame cows.

ANAZAZI":1vf3po5w said:
aussie_cowgirl":1vf3po5w said:
Oh, we have all types of them around here. Breeders seem only to be interested in two things, daily gain, and if they are polled or not. If the animal is polled it can look anyway it wants to, and still be considered breeding stock. Plus, a lot of people here use commercial chars as suckler dams, wich I belive is usually very uneconomical compared to smaller frame cows.

Definitely uneconomical. :nod: Like the angus of the euro world really, bandwagon breeding.

Latest posts