Ekka photos (Euro breeds)

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for the appraisal, Keren.....of course I know when I like a bull, but can't put "why" into words like you can!
We have a few little bulls to come off their mothers soon and will try and post them for appraisal. Thanks again.

Ok, just heard from an exhibitor who was there that the red char bull sold for $24,000 at the show. Obviously other people liked him also!

ANAZAZI":mj31xo7l said:
aussie_cowgirl":mj31xo7l said:
Being from Europe though I can understand why you have an opinion on them like you do. A lot of the full french are trouble, like you say.
Oh, we have all types of them around here. Breeders seem only to be interested in two things, daily gain, and if they are polled or not. If the animal is polled it can look anyway it wants to, and still be considered breeding stock. Plus, a lot of people here use commercial chars as suckler dams, wich I belive is usually very uneconomical compared to smaller frame cows.
I suppose breeders are most interested in making a profit, so why do you think they would do an uneconomical thing like use commercial chars as suckler dams?

ga.prime":1yt47e5k said:
ANAZAZI":1yt47e5k said:
aussie_cowgirl":1yt47e5k said:
Being from Europe though I can understand why you have an opinion on them like you do. A lot of the full french are trouble, like you say.
Oh, we have all types of them around here. Breeders seem only to be interested in two things, daily gain, and if they are polled or not. If the animal is polled it can look anyway it wants to, and still be considered breeding stock. Plus, a lot of people here use commercial chars as suckler dams, wich I belive is usually very uneconomical compared to smaller frame cows.
I suppose breeders are most interested in making a profit, so why do you think they would do an uneconomical thing like use commercial chars as suckler dams?

Because the "experts" at the slaugtherhouse, and other "experts", such as advisors of various kinds says so. herefords and angus produce too much fat in our system, but they are more efficient per cow. simmenthals milk more than chars, but they are still too big! as for terminals; more and more people use limousin bulls, but very many terminal bulls are still charolais (God knows why?).

Latest posts