Photos as threatened.

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
Well here are some of my calves. Most born July/August and due to the drought most were weaned at the end of November. They have done well but the weights are over 50kg down on usual but I guess they will pick it up in time.
The first Q12 is an LD Capitalist son out of a Connealy Earnan daughter. I have only kept 3 bull calves entire this year.

Q1 a SS Niagara daughter out of a SAV Thunderbird daughter, her mother is much the same, a real little workhorse, no coincidence that her mother is M1, her 1st calf was P2 and then Q1 so the whole family is at the top of the calving list.

Q4 a Musgrave Apache son out of a GAR Prophet daughter

Q3 a Musgrave Apache daughter out of a Sydgen Black Pearl daughter.

Q6 Another Musgrave Apache daughter out of a GAR Prophet daughter. I don't mind these Apache calves.

Q15 By a homebred bull, a SAV Renown son out of a Equator A241 daughter (Australian bull, his daughters have been very good.). She is a bit younger than the others being by the cleanup bull. She has a lot of length to her.

Q14 A LD Capitalist son out of a daughter of homebred bull, a Future Direction 4268 son. A bit of white there but no Prophet in the pedigree.

Q22 A Sydgen Enhance daughter out of a SAV Thunderbird daughter. Afair bit younger than the others, probably late November.

P3 I'll throw in a couple of the previous year heifers due to calve in July. This is an EF Commando daughter, she is in calf to Basin Rainmaker.

P10 A Bruns Blaster daughter out of an Equator A241 daughter and in calf to SS Niagara

P1 A Hoover Dam daughter out of a Sydgen Black Pearl daughter. In calf to Baldridge Compass.

One of the other projects I'm working on, clearing some land, about 12 acres. It is part of the 650 acre scrub block next door that I bought 15 mths ago. We have tight restrictions on clearing but this small area was white on the vegetation map so it has come down before they change their mind. I hope to fence it for roos and make it a cultivation paddock. I just started burning the rows on Saturday and next one goes up on Wed if the forecast stays true.

Ken

Hard to tell from photos really, but your post gives me hope for my bottle calves.... 😀

I have some yearlings not quite ready to breed, but my bottle calves were said to be maybe ready at same time as yearlings....

But I have too shovel 10x for every 100 grams....lets see if we break this drought over next 6 months,....we have no where near enough so far,......

I also have no breeding info,,,,,,so may be total rats....lol

wbvs58 said:
Q15 By a homebred bull, a SAV Renown son out of a Equator A241 daughter (Australian bull, his daughters have been very good.). She is a bit younger than the others being by the cleanup bull. She has a lot of length to her.

This one is my fav of the bunch, the homeraised boy makes what I like!

Nice looking cattle.

But how do you fence out roos? Netting? or certain height?

Nesikep said:
wbvs58 said:

This one is my fav of the bunch, the homeraised boy makes what I like!
Initially I thought his calves were the best of the lot Nesi. I find being a couple of months younger they are hard to compare. Q15's mother is a great cow, always weans one of the heaviest, this is her 4th calf, only missed to AI through operator error, was jumping all the cows and filled with air, I could not get her so left her to get on next cycle but never picked up on her but bull got her as soon as he went in.

The grass growth has been unreal here recovering from very bare paddocks before Xmas.

Ken

Philip-TX said:
Nice looking cattle.

Both Philip, woven wire to about 3' and then 3 strands of barb to about 5'6". Some big ones will jump it but in the scrub we mostly have smaller wallabies. Just have to keep an eye on the bottom and block anywhere they are going under. The main thing is to reduce the number in there to a minimum. I find they get very nervous in there if you are shooting at them. The exclusion fencing, 6' with a ground apron would be good but a bit too much for me to handle.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
Philip-TX said:
Nice looking cattle.

Both Philip, woven wire to about 3' and then 3 strands of barb to about 5'6". Some big ones will jump it but in the scrub we mostly have smaller wallabies. Just have to keep an eye on the bottom and block anywhere they are going under. The main thing is to reduce the number in there to a minimum. I find they get very nervous in there if you are shooting at them. The exclusion fencing, 6' with a ground apron would be good but a bit too much for me to handle.

Ken
What damage do the kangaroos cause?

Great cattle Ken, I too like the homebred heifer best.

Grass looks good but thinking our two feet of snow that won't leave would do it wonders!

jscunn said:
Ken,
Really solid cattle as usual. I am kinda partial to the Niagra. glad I used him this fall.
Thanks js, I only had 1 other Niagara but I steered him and he is growing nicely as well. I might give him another go.
I am quite happy with them, I didn't get any that grabbed me initially, I guess the poor start they had but now I can stand and look and admire them and that is what I set out to achieve really to admire some nice cattle in good condition on some good grass. I feel that I am getting a few generations of my selections in their pedigree now.

Ken

Thanks Dave, I think she is one of my favourites as well. They are probably not the uniform lot that you like but I do breed them to give a bit of variation in phenotype but then breed back to try and produce that middle ground. To me it is a bit of a game and I love it.
Don't worry Dave our frosts won't be too far away. While we don't have anywhere near your conditions our frosts can be pretty harsh and persistent and will burn the grass off but at least with good depth of feed they should find something to eat underneath.

Ken

My fav are the Niagara heifer and the 2nd musgrave Apache daughter. Nice animals. Always is helpful seeing a variety and to compare different bulls. 👍🏽

Josher said:
My fav are the Niagara heifer and the 2nd musgrave Apache daughter. Nice animals. Always is helpful seeing a variety and to compare different bulls. 👍🏽
Thanks Josher, I use genetics predominantly from the US and much is from recommendations from people on CT here when I can get them in Australia so I guess they are relevant to many on CT.

Ken

Latest posts