Eatin breakfast at work

Help Support CattleToday:

The same people speed every morning, run through stop signs, cut thru parking lots, cut lines. Day in day out. Its probably the same people you were ranting about. 5 minutes could reduce an awful lot of stress in their lives.

Dave":16yf6gwb said:
I car pooled with a guy for a short time. He was late every day by about 10 or 15 minutes. I said something about it and he replied that it didn't matter. Well it didn't matter to him. It did to me. I had a lot of years working in the woods where the crew bus would stop to pick you up, if you weren't there they just drove on. They didn't wait 2 seconds for you. About the second time that happened you would be looking for a job somewhere else. My Dad ran a plywood mill for years. I often heard him say, "if I got by without you at 7:00, I don't need at 7:10." He didn't except excuses. Heck, to him a flat tire wasn't a good reason for being late.

Dave I had nearly the same exact experience. We are still friends but needless to say I am no longer a car pooler, I actually enjoy my time alone in my truck. Helps me get my day planned and catch up on the sports talk.

callmefence":29u2sxjp said:
To tell the truth we don't really eat lunch either.
It's not mandatory, but I've never had a employee who didn't like it.
If you want to sit down and set up a spread, your welcome to it. I'm going to take lunch hour out of your check though.
Or you can stuff down a sandwich standing up and get right back to it, no lunch hour.
My guys love it. They clock in at 7:00 get their 8 hours and get off in time to crawl in a deer stand.

In some states that may come back to bite you. The employees can SAY all they want at the time, that it doesn't bother them, etc, but in some states there are very specific laws about how often they must be allowed to take breaks per so many hours worked. The break can be unpaid, but absolutely no work related duties can be required, including just answering the phone. All it takes is one disgruntled employee to report it and the employer may be on the hook for some hefty penalties, no mater that the employees agreed to it verbally at the time and seemed to like it.

Bigfoot, I hear what you are saying, and agree that it shows quite a lack of class, but in my experience you have to pick your battles with employees and children. If that is the worst thing that you can complain about with today's caliber of entitled employee, consider yourself lucky, especially if there is no affect on productivity as you say. There is actually even a small number of employees who appreciate that little leniency if you let small stuff like that go, and they consider it a perk and one of the nice things about working for you. Most won't appreciate it at all, true, and will expect even more, but some will recognize that it isn't tolerated in many work places at all, and consider themselves lucky.

As long as no effect on productivity don't care on my employees for morale reasons but I know personally that getting up early, eating breakfast at home, and then getting to work right away when I get to the office is the best route. I get way more work done before the office actually opens then when it does. But as I see it I get my new work when the office door opens so both are important!

Luca is right. About 20 years ago I was working at a place where we working 8:00am to 4:00pm. We took a 30 minute lunch break, but didn't clock out for it, so we were working 7-1/2 hours and getting paid for 8. Everybody was happy. Then someone they had fired (that needed firing) turned them in. After that we had to drive back to the shop from wherever we were at lunch time to punch out, punch back in 30 minutes later, and then work until 4:30 instead of getting off at 4:00. So thanks to the whistleblower we had to work 30 minutes longer for the same pay.

Luca Brasi":rnbe5asp said:
callmefence":rnbe5asp said:
To tell the truth we don't really eat lunch either.
It's not mandatory, but I've never had a employee who didn't like it.
If you want to sit down and set up a spread, your welcome to it. I'm going to take lunch hour out of your check though.
Or you can stuff down a sandwich standing up and get right back to it, no lunch hour.
My guys love it. They clock in at 7:00 get their 8 hours and get off in time to crawl in a deer stand.

In some states that may come back to bite you. The employees can SAY all they want at the time, that it doesn't bother them, etc, but in some states there are very specific laws about how often they must be allowed to take breaks per so many hours worked. The break can be unpaid, but absolutely no work related duties can be required, including just answering the phone. All it takes is one disgruntled employee to report it and the employer may be on the hook for some hefty penalties, no mater that the employees agreed to it verbally at the time and seemed to like it.

Bigfoot, I hear what you are saying, and agree that it shows quite a lack of class, but in my experience you have to pick your battles with employees and children. If that is the worst thing that you can complain about with today's caliber of entitled employee, consider yourself lucky, especially if there is no affect on productivity as you say. There is actually even a small number of employees who appreciate that little leniency if you let small stuff like that go, and they consider it a perk and one of the nice things about working for you. Most won't appreciate it at all, true, and will expect even more, but some will recognize that it isn't tolerated in many work places at all, and consider themselves lucky.

Yeah thanks for the warning
The day uncle Sam shows up to tell me my hours. Is the day I shut this bytch down.

No lunch break laws in oilfield states. None of them I've worked in anyway. Texas they only have to give you a bathroom break. Oilfield has always been eat while you work. I have threatened plenty that wanted to set a picnic. Or bring soup for lunch. Some days it don't matter but some days you better have a something you can eat while you're moving. This is the ones that really gets under my skin:

Craig Miller":2w9tdr1m said:
No lunch break laws in oilfield states. None of them I've worked in anyway. Texas they only have to give you a bathroom break. Oilfield has always been eat while you work. I have threatened plenty that wanted to set a picnic. Or bring soup for lunch. Some days it don't matter but some days you better have a something you can eat while you're moving. This is the ones that really gets under my skin:

A half hour in the bathroom a day equals three weeks vacation over a year. Wasted time adds up. This slow maintenance pace kills me. I miss the faster pace of construction and the time flew by.

Dave":3v0jrbfc said:
I car pooled with a guy for a short time. He was late every day by about 10 or 15 minutes. I said something about it and he replied that it didn't matter. Well it didn't matter to him. It did to me. I had a lot of years working in the woods where the crew bus would stop to pick you up, if you weren't there they just drove on. They didn't wait 2 seconds for you. About the second time that happened you would be looking for a job somewhere else. My Dad ran a plywood mill for years. I often heard him say, "if I got by without you at 7:00, I don't need at 7:10." He didn't except excuses. Heck, to him a flat tire wasn't a good reason for being late.

Good laugh. My Dad was like that.

Margonme":2qn7lb8k said:
Dave":2qn7lb8k said:

That's how I am. I'm not saying I've never been late but I always give myself enough time for a flat or a wreck blocking the road.

midTN_Brangusman":k73z3rxq said:
Dave":k73z3rxq said:

Dave I had nearly the same exact experience. We are still friends but needless to say I am no longer a car pooler, I actually enjoy my time alone in my truck. Helps me get my day planned and catch up on the sports talk.

I am still friends with my guy too. We worked together for another 10 year or so until he retired. Actually worse than being late to work was riding with him on his turn to drive. I have driven across the country with drunk rodeo cowboys and been less scared than riding to work with him. He had one speed that was about 50 mph. It didn't matter if you were on the freeway with everyone else doing 70 or driving through a school zone.

Craig Miller":21qanjdx said:
Margonme":21qanjdx said:
Dave":21qanjdx said:

That's how I am. I'm not saying I've never been late but I always give myself enough time for a flat or a wreck blocking the road.

That is what Dad said leave early enough that you had a flat you could fix it and still get to work on time. But he ran a mill that ran 24 hours a day. At the shift change he expected you to be standing there with your gloves on ready to take over for the guy ahead of you. Shift change was supposed to happen without missing a beat.

Craig Miller":1l2bjltt said:

They forgot the last sentence
"Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime
That's why I poop on company time
Now I'm in the unemployment line"

Carpenter2n":32vjfghw said:
what about internet use on the employers time?

Texting! Whenever I see that face buried in a phone with those fingers a goin I want to slap the effing thing out of their hand and stomp on it, my employee, your employee, no one's employee. And what about customers who answer their phone or text while talking to you? Not much that you can do if you want to keep the customer, but I've excused myself from the room until they finish their conversation, without giving them time to respond, and I usually find something that takes me several minutes to do after they've finished. Some get that message, some don't, and pick up the very next call. Some get pizzed at ME! The reactions are funny, some don't even care or notice, some apologize, yet don't put down the phone, others are so absorbed that they go, huh, wha..?, and then go right back to the phone.

I'm with bigfoot on this one. I've always been for being on time and doing your job while there; however, if things like this are going on, it's only because the boss doesn't give a hoot or the job doesn't demand immediate attention.

I'm a teacher, and I don't know how it is at every other school in the nation, but there is no way we could show up 10 minutes late on a regular basis and have 30 kids standing in the hall unsupervised waiting for us to open our classroom door; that would create all kinds of issues and wouldn't go over too well with the principal. If we aren't on time for our early duty, that doesn't go over well either, and if we were standing around on early duty with a sausage and biscuit in our hand, that would be considered unprofessional.

People who do things like that at my school don't last long.

Latest posts