Earliest premi to survive ?

Help Support CattleToday:

goddy

Reaction score
So just interested in what is the earliest premature born calf you have had survive. Wondering because I had an early one born this evening that I'm tube feeding in by the heater and it is a minimum of 4 weeks early if she was mated the day the bull was put in.

Had one several years ago that arrived 5 weeks early; AI service with no bull exposure, so I know the projected due date. Cold, rainy Feb. morning.
Calf spent the first night indoors in the laundry room, but was strong enough the next day to go out into the corral with the dam. Couple of days to make sure he was up & at 'em, and they went back out to pasture.

Lucky_P":2eegqiw0 said:
Had one several years ago that arrived 5 weeks early; AI service with no bull exposure, so I know the projected due date. Cold, rainy Feb. morning.
Calf spent the first night indoors in the laundry room, but was strong enough the next day to go out into the corral with the dam. Couple of days to make sure he was up & at 'em, and they went back out to pasture.
How much did he weigh when he was born?

One at 42 days and one at 35 days. Small frequent feedings are helpful. A lamb nipple may help.

I think the occasional calf makes it at seven months, though I've messed about with those more than once and never succeeded.
Three weeks early should be no problem, four weeks; not sure I've ever had one that lived, maybe. I've certainly milked one or two cows that were born three weeks prem. a few years earlier.

I had a tiny ET calf come 6 weeks early and do fine. She always had bluish colored eyes and I suspect that her vision was poor. That recip got sick when she was 3-4 months pregnant with this calf and lost a lot (300 - 400 lbs) of weight. I didn't think she kept the pregnancy and was still putting weight back on her to sale when she had the calf (correct DNA by the way). The stress must have helped because I did give the calf colostrum to play it safe, but the calf was vigorous and momma want it. The tiny little thing would suck and the recip had plenty of milk and small teats. The recip (who never bred again after this) was smart enough to go stand on a creek bank or a little hill and the calf could barely reach her teats for weeks. I wish I had taken pictures. It was really neat.

toro,
That would have 7 or 8 years ago. Don't remember if we weighed him or not. Based on my recollection, I hazard a guess of maybe 60#; pretty small for a mature cow - but he was by a low BW calving ease AN bull with short gestation - his calves typically came 2 weeks 'early', on a regular basis.

R V":1mzbbugv said:
The recip (who never bred again after this) was smart enough to go stand on a creek bank or a little hill and the calf could barely reach her teats for weeks. I wish I had taken pictures. It was really neat.

This is pretty cool. This is why I love the cow-calf operation. They are incredible creatures and never cease to amaze me!!

Latest posts