ear warts???

Help Support CattleToday:

4Hgirl

Reaction score
my 4H steer has some kind of fleshy bumps in one ear. they are white and gray spotted. my dad and i washed them with lysol and put iodine ointment on them. anybody have any idea what these are and how to cure them???

Ear warts. Take him to the vet and have them cut out. For whatever reason, ear warts are not like regular warts - they will not go away on their own.

I had one heifer with them as big as my fist... I just grabbed a handful and they came off easily. Bled all over the place. :roll: They gradually went away after that, though I think she still had a few small ones when I sold her 6 months later.

Is that the ear he has his ID tags in? sometimes using a common tagger can transmit the virus from one animal to another - the bangs tag/tattoo was how my heifer acquired them.

That's interesting, milkmaid. We've had one or two animals with ear warts, but they have always been in the ear opposite of bangs tags/tatoos. Never tried the peeling them off routine, though, the vet simply removed them with no further problems/reoccurances. Thanks for the tip. :)

When I worked at Riverbend Ranch in Idaho last summer they had problems with ear warts from tattooing the ID number. Previously they had sterilized with rubbing alcohol but I suggested they try Clorox to sterilize with since the warts come from a virus and the bleach will kill viruses. I haven't heard if they are having any such problems yet this year.

There is a vaccine you can get at the local feed store. My old milk cow had the warts on her ears and face. It took two doses, but they went away.

thanks you guys. they are in the opposite ear of the present ear tag. he used to have a ear tag in the ear that it is in now. so, a vet will take care of it? or could my dad just cut them off with his knife and use disinfectants?

we had a show steer with ear warts that last year. we cut it off ourselves and put iodine on it. then gave him the wart vaccine. he turned out fine, no other problems.

Latest posts