Ear tagging calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Sean M

Reaction score
Had a chat with my father a couple of weeks ago and he was wondering when other people ear tag their calves, in the first 24 hours or do people have another method? Just curiousity.

I try to catch them asleep or laying down within the first 2 days. I put in an ear tag and tattoo their ear. Its much easier to catch them and hold them still.

He does tattoos when he when he vaccinates and rings them later on. I assume most people do the same with the eartags because it's hard to work out which is which when they're not with their mothers. Although he does leave some of them if the mother is a bit mad :).

Last year was the first time I have tagged my calves. We did it when we cut them the first week of April.

I can just tell. Some have markings others don't. Also I only have about 40 head of brood cows so its not hard. When every calf is on the ground I can tell you who belongs to who.

Mine are also tagged right at birth. Band the bulls too. Sometimes they get missed and I catch up with them later. Had 6 in the chute. They all look alike. Tagged them then watched which cow those nursed. Everything else had been marked.

I tag then at about 2-3 wks of age. I am by myself and don't want to risk having a hassle with a protective mother. Last year I got lifted pretty well by one old girl, I would love to get their birth weights but I don't think it is worth the risk. When I have a group of about 10 I yard the cows and can usually draft out the calves and run them through the calf race. They are black Angus so no distinguishing features, when I let the calves out I can usually mother them up straight away, it is always nice to have tags on them, it straight away gives them a bit of identity.

I tag and band them as soon as they hit the ground. This also gives me an opportunity to weight them on a small platform scale I carry with me in the Mule. I should qualify my remarks by saying this is how I handle the Herefords. The Brahman calves usually get their tags later when I can get them separated from their mothers.

I tag and band in the first three days. If one of the mothers is a little protective, I will try and catch that calf sleeping next to a hay ring an drag him into the ring and work him over.

If tag, band, etc. at birth. I make one big catch when I'm through calving to get the ones I miss.

How do you keep track which mother they belong to?[/quote]

I tag when the calf is born to... they get a number that indicates the year and the number of calf they were...then i write the cow tag number below their number. makes it handy when your walking through them

When a cow has a calf I put her # in my iphone under the notes with a month, year, and if its a bull or heifer.

After the calves accumilate and its worth wild we will pen the cattle, seperate the cows from their calves, work them, and then turn them back with their mommas.

You cant mess with our calves with out pipe between you and their momma. :D

Thanks everyone, I never thought of tagging them seeing which mother they went to afterwards. And Circlew you must have a great memory.

Sean M I just write down the date they are born and I see them everyday and when you have the calves for 5 to 7 months I just remember who goes with who.

I tag within 12 hours of birth and give calf guard vaccine within a few hours of birth or at tagging and weighing on the scale. I usually wait till 12 hours old to weigh them so I can march mom and her calf to the barn. Cows trust me so there are no issues there except sometimes right after birth.. like the pain has them a little looloo. After that , they are pretty good. (Angus)
I tag the right ear, birthdate, calf number (in order of birth), dam's number, and H/B for whichever sex they are ...on front of tag. Back of tag has calf number, birthdate, dam just in case front of tag has managed to fade too much to see info. All registerable calves get white tags and xbreeds get yellow tags.
Blessings
Valerie

Sean M":2p1qu1w4 said:
circlew":2p1qu1w4 said:
Last year was the first time I have tagged my calves. We did it when we cut them the first week of April.

How do you keep track which mother they belong to?

I just tagged the calves when the cow was at a distance and then later I would watch which calf nursed with which cow and make a record pairing them up.

I put yellow tags in the right ear of bulls and orange tag in the left ear of heifers. with a B or H behind the number. As a said before I tag and band in the first three days.

Tagged within 24 hours of hitting the ground...

TSV-2 intranasal
Bo-SE
Iodine the navel
Tag (right ear = bull, left ear = heifer)
Weighed in a sling
Marked on the charts

Tag has 2 numbers -- the top number is the dam, bottom number is the calf = Year + calf #... 1212 = 12th calve in 2012.

Latest posts