Dwarf?

Help Support CattleToday:

We used a boom pole on back of tractor. Let him stay hook to it for while
than start pulling him around. He will fight it a little but will figure out it is easier to walk with it .

We put a halter on the calf. Let it drag it around a few days, while we hand feed (walk into pen with calf & put their feed down) letting them get used to you being close to them. Then, we put their feed down & quietly take the lead & tie it off. Some will just stand there and eat - then realize they are tied & will pull & fight it. I never leave them alone when first tied. We let them fight it until they realize if they step forward, the pressure will release. Then we untie them. Do that a few days, then tie them at one side of pen, put food down on other side & walk them TO their food. (should be a SMALL pen). You never want to get in a large area that they can get away. In a small pen, even if they get the rope out of your hand - they don't REALIZE they got away. IF, they actually get away in a large area, then they generally always test you & try to get away. I am 5' 2" and 125# and have been using this method for many years. I cannot "force" a calf to lead.

After contacting the local university, they suggest that I get the animal tested for a dwarf gene. Stated that both the sire and the dam would have to have the gene for a dwarf to be born. Also stated that a manganese deficiency during gestation can cause a calf to resemble a dwarf, so again, get it tested to make sure. Didn't seem to concerned due to the fact that it is my first dwarf in 50+ years of running cattle. I planned on replacing this bull next year anyway, so I think I will just test the sire to see if he has the D2 gene in question.

The bull only bred one daughter. We probably have 30 of his calves in our herd producing for us now. The cow is bred back to your Rainmaker bull. Hopefully Ranger Rick didn't hurt anything when he's was in her looking around. He couldn't believe I could feel the calfs head so I let him give it a feel. I honestly didn't think he'd give it a try, but that made his day.

There are several different types of dwarfs. The two most commonly mentioned are the snorters and the long heads. There are also proportionate dwarfs, which is what your calf appears to be. There is a test for the "Long head" dwarf, but I do not believe a test has yet been developed for the snorter or proportionate dwarfs (often referred to as "itty bittys"). The test you are planning will most likely come back negative, since this does not resemble the long headed dwarfs, but that does not mean the cow and bull aren't dwarf carriers for a different type of dwarfism.

I would not worry too much about it. It is not life threatening to either the cow or the calf and we will probably never eliminate all forms of dwarfism. I would just stay away from excessive inbreeding with those animals.

We halter break every cow we have. We get them to like cattle cubes. Then we get a halter on them and tie to a post. They stand there awhile. A 2 month old calf 15 minutes. An 8 month old an hour. Then we brush them. Hand feed a couple if cubes. Drag them around a few minutes giving them cubes after they walk a few steps. Then release them. We do this every day. In no time at all they lead great. We take extra calves to show clinics for kids that haven't got to lead calves to learn to show. We always have the best leading calves.

gizmom said:
Ive never had a dwarf calf were all the other calves out of the same sire?

Gizmom

I have a few calves hitting the ground now out of this bull that look normal (65-75 lbs.), but the dwarf looked normal at birth as well. I guess I will find out in a few months.

Katpau said:
There are several different types of dwarfs. The two most commonly mentioned are the snorters and the long heads. There are also proportionate dwarfs, which is what your calf appears to be. There is a test for the "Long head" dwarf, but I do not believe a test has yet been developed for the snorter or proportionate dwarfs (often referred to as "itty bittys"). The test you are planning will most likely come back negative, since this does not resemble the long headed dwarfs, but that does not mean the cow and bull aren't dwarf carriers for a different type of dwarfism.

I would not worry too much about it. It is not life threatening to either the cow or the calf and we will probably never eliminate all forms of dwarfism. I would just stay away from excessive inbreeding with those animals.

The University of Arkansas professor didn't really classify the type of dwarf, just stated that it appeared to be a dwarf and the only way to tell was to get it tested. Sent me the link to the testing facilities as well.

Here is his related email and links:

It is always challenging to determine a disease issue just from looking at pictures, but I will give it my best educated guess. From the pictures that you sent, it appears that it probably is dwarfism in the calf. Usually dwarfism in cattle is associated with genetics (typically from both the cow and the bull). In some breeds, this issue is associated with a specific gene mutation (like in Angus), but in other breeds it can be related to multiple genes (like in Herefords). Here is a news article with some information regarding the dwarfism problem in Angus cattle that might help you learn more about the issue:
http://secure-web.cisco.com/1hHS3hZ__Xj1BGQYgokJaXLtTCg41jBW3URlCyW3kRN4FCKRAWF62bI8qSrlhHp5iRXIADKrYCiMpfwgslIdTzUxU7xyq8pxhS5_q5Ro_adU9NHp5X6x_xUMQxHg8eZFyKt-1IIR4fIP8t3K40i7v_rw3vvM6LfhsNvzFDSJF_vbqbJAfvqW4MgRnpdqZkcYU-eCf63_I0tJNHGrfgIB1hy3DDgWTjON5yXrAZYyUp5Z7CTFbxuZwT3_Y7-KYVJeTrnoVmFrtfQOvtneoh0bJAj-fRPQ0xj66ugu3aUKk7o89ZWuZnyA5lUPxAGxZbS45/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.angus.org%2Fpub%2Fd2%2Fd2factsheet.pdf

Sometimes dwarfism in cattle can also be associated with mineral deficiencies during pregnancy. Manganese is a trace mineral that has been associated with dwarfism and abnormal congenital development in calves when it has been deficient in the cow's diet during gestation.

The calf could be tested for a genetic mutation to determine if the dwarfism is related to genetics. This website lists a couple of laboratories that you can send a blood sample to run the genetic test:
https://secure-web.cisco.com/1W_BfPr-BYD3yN-EmqNk17tPM9dYEATYPwjqblcSnP5TNIGulsdrit8MGtr2jutOIqOoDJ5ErzScllbWn9jx3X7Lczotx34PHC_H2CSzgKF9wqEZp7RQ4dh5Lv14WwF-CVJBUtk91aCGv4INYNi2GMMfsFx4GZZJS1G7nr9A0CaVVCbBL_7Ye6Zap27FYZo8BBA8RSckhh2wRYEtqti7r5VM2gbCvZ2TxVZeiZoHpgbxcfX0CY4YuGUmgUifhqJwm5IiM6DI4a28XtVE5e93XP1d25yXrgSDdDVa8vBY6Kdxtt_OemUBG9BU4iPB3QfQ3/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.angus.org%2Fpub%2FD2%2FD2Labs.aspx

Another email from the first professor I contacted. Had a pretty interesting presentation attached.

Thanks for the email. The causes of the dwarf calf can be complicated, change of maternal diet and health condition of the cow during gestation, genetic mutation or defect of the dwarf itself, or from the sire or the cow.
If it is a genetic defect, at least one of the mutation is detectable. See the link: https://secure-web.cisco.com/1iy4rDrrhV_daSEiP2pLxlcY1jpTIQU5W_HFVgJr3k-Ru1q3UBFXLlal6nmGL49xOsUUsqYH7uW4h9FXquY8sr88N56c9Os8E4bjxzx0PEm644cH32Vu_owyCzw4Ij-T7pJ7xTj85UYz7NA2cLwTII7fgyXoISb9HaNa_Opu1CEG5pJnhtQ7UyQWkLRW3Xa8S0XaXQrshDecL_h3lY3sh8CKS3aLqxRj4YjjvihYtL5CXc3rqUttw37Eu9Z8m2X7hqQLguDSHLVS88tKFQnICqntsSyne3UZZPU8rF8o5_lA/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.asi.k-state.edu%2Fresearch-and-extension%2Fbeef%2Fagent-resources%2Fdocs%2Fgendefects.pdf
Please pay attention to the last slide of 2nd page:
• Not all dwarfs are "genetic dwarfs"
• Dwarf calves can occur when pregnant cows are infected by viruses at key points in embryonic/fetal development
• Veterinary diagnostic labs can classify dwarf calves as genetic/environmental by necropsy

Katpau said:

You were correct, test came back negative for a dwarf gene.

Made an attempt at halter breaking the little guy, but just put a halter on and tied to a post to see if he would ever calm done if I left him alone. He fought hard at first, but did mange to just stand by the post after I left, so I may make a real attempt in a couple of weeks.

Update on my dwarf bull that I still have and still don't know what exactly I am going to do with him. This is the latest picture I have standing by an 18 month old heifer. He is just over a year old and doesn't appear to be getting any taller. He is an interesting conversation piece when people drive by and see him in the pasture with my 20 heifers. Funny watching him chase one of the heifers in heat and cant reach her to do anything about it, unless he catches them laying down I guess.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/app.php/gallery/image/359/medium

Is he friendly? You could probably list him on craigslist and get big bucks from somebody looking for an interesting pasture ornament.

T-Wacker said:
Update on my dwarf bull that I still have and still don't know what exactly I am going to do with him. This is the latest picture I have standing by an 18 month old heifer. He is just over a year old and doesn't appear to be getting any taller. He is an interesting conversation piece when people drive by and see him in the pasture with my 20 heifers. Funny watching him chase one of the heifers in heat and cant reach her to do anything about it, unless he catches them laying down I guess.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/app.php/gallery/image/359/medium
Bull??? He is still a bull? I would bet he'll find a way to breed your heifers and I don't think you really want that....Do you?

I just halter broke 2 , 14 month old heifers. Wrestle a halter onto him. It can be a horse halter but the cow halter with the chain under the chin works best. Tie him in the shade to a solid post. Leave him an hour. Go hand feed him cattle cubes. Pet and brush him. Lead him a little giving him cubes like dog treats every few steps. Repeat every day. He will lead good in a week. Make sure you use plenty of cubes as cows are food motivated. This way is a lot easier than killing your back dragging them. My daughter got those 800 pound heifers leading great in a week doing this.

Latest posts