Dwarf?

Help Support CattleToday:

T-Wacker

Reaction score
So, I had a calf born back in June to a heifer that appeared to be normal. After about 3 or 4 months I started noticing that something wasn't quite right, but I got busy and didn't really try to get him up, as he appeared healthy. Then, when I got my herd up for fall vaccinations/weanings/etc. I was shocked to discover that he was 7 months old and barely 28 inches tall, but built like a perfect miniature of his sire. His sire is a super baldy that will hit about 1900-2000 lbs in the summer. My question is this, is this a true genetic dwarf or is there something else in play here? I look at photos was dwarf calves and they all appear deformed and this guy is built like a Mack truck. I talked to a vet and he said it was probably genetic but an anomaly. I have the sire quarantined anyway, but anyone here experience anything like this? I have tried to post pics but the icons appear to be disabled on my computer.

We've had a dwarf or two over the years. They are obviously dwarfs. Body and head will be normal sized, really short legs. We butchered one once along with a couple of "normal" steers. His hanging weight was just as heavy as the others.

NonTypicalCPA said:
lets see his pic!

I would like to attach a pic, but I have tried to no avail. If someone has the capability, I would gladly email them a couple of pictures so they can post, or someone give me the magic wand to post them myself.

Silver said:
We've had a dwarf or two over the years. They are obviously dwarfs. Body and head will be normal sized, really short legs. We butchered one once along with a couple of "normal" steers. His hanging weight was just as heavy as the others.

So, is this what you have experienced in the past? Was it a genetic issue with the sire or some sort of odd deficiency with hormones/minerals/etc.?

T-Wacker said:
Silver said:

So, is this what you have experienced in the past? Was it a genetic issue with the sire or some sort of odd deficiency with hormones/minerals/etc.?

Looks like it could be, kinda hard to say in the picture if his legs are totally out of proportion with his body. He does look miniature though lol. The ones I have been around have legs as thick and heavy as a normal animal, just ridiculously short. A Basset hound is a really good example of dwarfism.
I understand dwarfism to be a genetic issue of the right combination of genes. Having said that, it seems like some breeds are more likely than others to have it happen.

Edit: the more I look at it the more he appears to me to be a dwarf.

Silver said:
T-Wacker said:
Silver said:

Looks like it could be, kinda hard to say in the picture if his legs are totally out of proportion with his body. He does look miniature though lol. The ones I have been around have legs as thick and heavy as a normal animal, just ridiculously short. A Basset hound is a really good example of dwarfism.
I understand dwarfism to be a genetic issue of the right combination of genes. Having said that, it seems like some breeds are more likely than others to have it happen.

He is hard to get a good picture of because I keep showing him a lot of attention and he is starting to get suspicious. Really noticeable when you see him in person. Several people stated that if he was halter broke they would buy it, but I have never halter broke a calf and I assume at 8 months it would be too late anyway.

T-Wacker said:
Silver said:
T-Wacker said:

He is hard to get a good picture of because I keep showing him a lot of attention and he is starting to get suspicious. Really noticeable when you see him in person. Several people stated that if he was halter broke they would buy it, but I have never halter broke a calf and I assume at 8 months it would be too late anyway.

Oh, I don't thing that little devil would be too hard to halter break.

One other strange trait I observed, his skin was paper thin. Luckily we have had a very mild winter here so far, so he has been able to survive. When I went to give him his vaccination in the neck area, I was shocked at how thin the hide was. Usually anything with a little brahma in them, it is like trying to penetrate about a ½" of skin. His couldn't have been anything near normal.

Silver said:
T-Wacker said:
Silver said:

So, how does one go about halter breaking and 8 month old calf? Just put a halter on and tie him to a post for a certain amount of time each day?

T-Wacker said:
Silver said:
T-Wacker said:

So, how does one go about halter breaking and 8 month old calf? Just put a halter on and tie him to a post for a certain amount of time each day?

No bigger than he is just get the halter on and drag him around until he gets the hang of it.

Put a halter on him and drag him to something sturdy and tie him up. Let him fight awhile.

Hereford was the biggest carrier for a long time. But, generally, they are big headed. Here is a description:
Dwarfism: Symptoms of dwarfism vary by breed but usually include short stature and deformities in the limbs, head and spine. Other conditions, including cleft palate and abdominal hernia, are also common in dwarf cattle.

Dwarf is not usually just being short/small.

Latest posts