Dwarf Calf (2 Questions)

Help Support CattleToday:

czechtex

Reaction score
I have a Brangus calf born 10 days ago that appears to be a dwarf or minature. The mom is 10+ but has always had outstanding calves in the past. The bull was a crossbred project that only had a handful of calves before I moved on to a better #2 bull. The parents are full size and in no way related, so I am wondering how this happened???

I have a friend that has a registered Dexter minature bull and he has expressed interest in buying the calf to later breed with his bull. Would the two of them produce a dwarf or minature 100% of the time???

czechtex":3b8aw9h2 said:
I have a friend that has a registered Dexter minature bull and he has expressed interest in buying the calf to later breed with his bull. Would the two of them produce a dwarf or minature 100% of the time???

I think you got your answer....neighbors bull :lol: :lol:

1848":3dyb6ltd said:
czechtex":3dyb6ltd said:

I think you got your answer....neighbors bull :lol: :lol:

This is not a possibility, no minature cattle for miles, the friend lives 25 miles away.

Many parents ask the same thing about their children born with abnormalities. Its just in the cards. Just because a bull has wonderful EPD's and the cow the same odds may be better but their are no guarantees of having a perfect calf.

Report it to the Association and shoot the calf.

THere are enough weird things going on these days let alone letting someone prosper from a genetics defect

Dwarfism can be caused by genetics, but not always. It can also be caused by a severe mineral deficiency, usually this will produce not only a dwarf but a weak one. A deficiency in I, Cu, Mn or Se can be causes of small weak calves. You could have a severe mineral deficiency in your herd. If the cow is over 10 and this is the only case you have it is possible that her body can no longer absorb what she needs. Or the cow and feed could be fine and this is just one of those once in a lifetime things.
In some cases a calf that is born dwarfed will grow to normal size, especially if they don't have the dwarf sloping forehead.
Do not sell it as a bull. Steer him and make him into hamburger. It is not normal for a dwarf to be born to two full time parents and this isn't something to continue.

English breed's are known to carry a dwarfism gene usually called snorter's, your cow is 3/8's Angus.
She had to breed to a bull carrying the gene as well.

I've never seen a dwarf calf in my life, how big do they usually grow out to be as mature animals? Do they have other abnormalities as well? I've only seen a few photos of new borns.

4 or 5 years ago I had a heifer born at 28lbs, about like a small dog. I ended up giving it to some freinds who kept it for 3 yrs and ate her. She finished out at about 800lbs as a 3 yr old. I also shipped the cow for giving me two more lousy calves.

Alan

We had a dwarf calve a few years back. Everything was normal except for its size. I carried it to the barn under one arm bout 25-30 lbs. When we worked the calves I thought I could man handle it after it excaped the head chut but instead I ended up stradling it and going for a heck of a ride that I don't care to do again.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1pqnmofg said:
I have not seen a dwarf, but isn't there a definate "look" to a dwarf? Is this calf perfectly normal looking and proportioned right? How much does it weigh?
the dwarf look is sorta like a human with a bulging forehead. ive seen two real dwarfs one was a snorter not a pretty sight and really should have been put down

I've seen exactly 2 dwarfs, or maybe they were midgits, in my life. One was from a cross cow sired by a Charolais and the other was also a Charolais looking calf. They were both perfectly normal looking yearling bulls but they only weighed in the neighborhood of 300 lbs.

dun

I thought dwarfism was only a problem in certain hereford genetics and was most frequent in the pony era? Was it common in other breeds as well?

i had a heifer that i bought and she was bred to her father, she had a bull calf that was short stocky and had slightly crooked legs a dwarf. the heifer was a big half holstien heifer, the bull was a maine(full blooded). i bred her to my bull and she had a heifer that was normal looking only she was petite, when i sold them the heifer just looked much younger than she was. it is genetic and the carriers need to be identified and disposed of.

KNERSIE":2gjnw2od said:
I thought dwarfism was only a problem in certain hereford genetics and was most frequent in the pony era? Was it common in other breeds as well?

Angus, Herf's and Dexters are all in this gene pool. I can't recall if Durham are or not I would have to pull some books and do some research.

Miniatures are perfectly proportioned and look like any other animal of the breed except for their size.

There are several kinds of dwarfism. Some like 'bulldog' can be lethal when bred to another like animal. This is possibly what someone referred to as snorters.

One of the more common dwarfisms is chondrodysplasia, common to traditional Dexter cattle, and results in very short legs. There is now a gene test to identify this condition for breeders who want to eliminate it.

Some might be surprised to learn that there is a market for miniatures and a couple of websites devoted to miniature devotees. It is not uncommon for some miniatures to bring as much or more than 'normal' calves. Registered Lowlines (miniature Angus) and miniature Herefords will commonly bring 2500-5000 dollars. Even a 'grade' or mixed breed could probably bring 300-500 if it were advertised one one of the mini boards.

Don't worry about 'polluting' the breed. Miniature breeders have no interest in breeding to larger animals. I, personally, have a couple of miniatures and even when my bull tried to breed a normal cow it was futile as they were all 14-20 inches taller than him. All he could do was look UP and dream.

Latest posts