Durham Red

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
DurhamRedCow.jpg

This is a new program that the American Shorthorn Association and the Red Angus Breeders are making up to compete with the Angus. Tell me what you think. To read more about it go to http://www.shorthorn.org/asa/tabID_3789/tailored.aspx

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":33do5gg7 said:
Nice looking cow you have there! Looks like my murray Greys only red ;-) :cboy: :)

I doubt that is his cow. She is the "poster child" for the Durham's. You can see that pic on the ASA website.

I've voiced my opinion on this topic before and couldn't get any discussion flowing. I'll refrain from commenting this round.

Certs:

Perhaps they should approach an industrial outfit and patent it - then call it the Redroan Black Angus / or better - how about calling it the Shorthorn Red Roan Angus?

Nice looking animal.

Bez'

What I think, Milk Shorthorn Guy, is that I would love to have a field full of cows like that. But, they would cost a fortune, so I have to grow my own.

Just to clarify I do not own one, but I am thinking about getting a Red Angus heifer and growing my own. Also how do think this will compete with the Angus? This is a Shorthorn X Red Angus cow.

Milk Shorthorn Guy":3f5nc7q7 said:
Just to clarify I do not own one, but I am thinking about getting a Red Angus heifer and growing my own. Also how do think this will compete with the Angus? This is a Shorthorn X Red Angus cow.
Gonna be a looong time before anything competes with them black cows. Tooooo much advertising! ;-)

now we know that there are quite a few postlegged, poodle mogrels that came out of the same flush there to get that animal. I'm totally with Cert on this topic!!!

A nice looking cow and a sound intelligent new idea; though I wonder how many Registered cow owners are going to turn their herd over into breeding composites and if they all looked like that they will have no problem selling them. It is the ones that aren't poster childs which always scare me with any breed or cross.

We had seriously considred using a Shorthorn (beef not milking) on our Red Angus and F1 Red Angus Polled Hereford cows. The Shorthorn gene pool is more like a cesspool then a gene pool what wit hthe Maine influence. That pretty much put an end to those ideas.

dun

I forget how it works.

The "Appendix" Shorthorns have the outside influence, or they don't. Just can't remember. Anyway, they point is that there are some good dual-purpose or beef shorthorns around yet.

The Shorthorns were by far the most fertile British breed and the best British performers at MARC in the early cycles there. Red Poll did real well later. Not much better than a blue cow, made from crossing Shorthorn and Angus, unless of course if the was a red cow made from crossing a Shorthorn and Red Angus.

I got your point Springer. I like the Murray Reds. :D

mtnman

Milk Shorthorn Guy":vg2tlm2n said:

As with any composite, if you use quality animals as the base, you will probably get a quality animal. With all the appendex Shorthorns out there, I'd question how many quality Shorthorns are available for this program.

Take some time to go to your local sale barn and see how red calves sell compared to similar black calves. That will give you some idea of how they'll compete with Angus.

Latest posts