Dumb as Dirt

Help Support CattleToday:

fitz":3aa0h9by said:
Thanks Mr. Preston.
I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert on cattle. I'm not trying to be smart. Until I got the clarification I thought a heiferette was a little baby "Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader". Now I realize I'm broke out with them. So it's all good!

fitz.
=
"fitz',
Thats what the board is for to share information. Believe me I have found out a few things in the past few months that was new to me. Some good ...some not so good...depends on where it is coming from and it oftens requires discernment for adoption. All in all the time here is worth it...or I would find better things to do with the few minutes life gives me for ......well....contiuning education.

fitz":8dsanh8k said:
Thanks Mr. Preston.
I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert on cattle. I'm not trying to be smart. Until I got the clarification I thought a heiferette was a little baby "Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader". Now I realize I'm broke out with them. So it's all good!

fitz.

"29) Heiferettes -- Heifers placed on feed following the loss of a calf or open heifers placed on feed following the breeding season. Typically these animals are a little older than those normally going into the feedyard."

I can't see how "it's all good" if your heifers lost their calves or didn't breed. Sounds like if your broke out with them you've lost a fair amount of money. If that is the definition.

Wewild,
I couldn't figure out what you were talking about until I went back and read my own post. I left out the word not. Should have read:
"Now I realize I'm not broke out with them."
The way I had it typed it did sound like I may be in rough row of stumps. Dumb.
fitz.

I have never claimed to be an expert but I have been aware of this term for well over 20 years. In the early 80's I worked at a local stockyards and used the opportunity to buy dairyXbeef open heifers that went through as singles and sold cheap. I would then breed them to either keep as cows or sell after calving. Occasionaly I would have one lose a calf and it would come back to the sale as a heiferette and bring a good premium over the price of an older weigh cow.

We do not have to know everything to raise cattle succesfully. You need to find something that works for you and do it well.

Fitz, I am thinking that the world you were in believing that heiferette is a baby dallas cowboy cheerleader is the world I would rather be in. For some reason, it is a whole lot more fun thinking of that cheerleader than a heifer that lost her calf---sometimes education sure takes the fun out of the imagination---lol

Beings the confusion of what the definition of a heiferette is has come up again, here is my definition:

A heiferette is a mature female that still retains her heifer shape.
She may be a heifer that has aborted a calf and/or one that has had one calf
and will not breed back.
She could also be a young, normally 2 to 3 yr. old that would not settle when
bred. as a yrlg. or a 2 yr old.
They normally will be fed and will make excellent beef that is full of flavor.
With English breeds the meat will be highly marbled, and very tender and juicy.

I think that the Cheerleader description is pretty good...of course I wouldn't reffer to Susie that way, them o'l cheerleaders can get really fussy.
Dave Mc

Latest posts