Dumb as Dirt

Help Support CattleToday:

Actually, I don't think it's a "Yankee" term, as I had never heard it until I moved to Texas!

I was told heiferette is a female that's never calved, and is over 2 years old.

I've lived in the midwest my whole life-grew up on a dairy farm and have been doing a cow/calf operation for the past 11 years, and I've never heard the term heiferette up here.

Bez":2hrv7k18 said:
Jumpins' !!!

And would someone tell me - is there really such a thing as a show barn? What in the heck are they - fancy barns with carpets and air conditioning? I have never seen one - but I am open to learning.

Bez

If I find one of these showbarns I will PM you and we can go together and look in awe.

Well, maybe txshowmom could help you out. Showly a showmom could show you a showbarn, huh?

Don't get me involved in your little squabble :lol: Yes I could show you plenty of showbarns but most of them are not very showy either. Any barn that people show cattle in is considered a showbarn.

Campground Cattle said:
As of this morning after long debate with myself, I have come to the conclusion I am to dumb to own cows. I was reading the post about adjusted weaning weights.

I am another one in Campground's Camp. I am a true Yankee and have
never herd the term heiferette .We use our hands to test our hay, feels good, smells good, cattle eat it and look good...must be good :D I am still trying to absorb adjusted weaning weight and maybe someday I will, but for now the scales will have to do. Been raising hereford cross for roughly 11 1/2 years, have only lost 2 calves, no eye cancer, made a little money, meat for the freezer, and I think we will always have first calf heifers.
;-)

A heiferette is a mature female that still retains her heifer shape.
She may be a heifer that has aborted a calf and/or one that has had one calf
and will not breed back.
She could also be a young, normally 2 to 3 yr. old that would not settle when
bred. as a yrlg. or a 2 yr old.
They normally will be fed and will make excellent beef that is full of flavor.
With English breeds the meat will be highly marbled, and very tender and juicy.

Oldtimer and Jakes answer is a good partial description.
The term is used often in the feeding areas through the Midwest and plains
states.and anyone familiar with feeding cattle in those areas know what is
being talked about when heiferettes are mentioned.

Guess I'm dumb as dirt too. Today's the first time I've ever heard of a heiferette. Must not be a term we use here in Tennessee unless I'm hanging around the wrong folks.

My family came to Texas in the late 1800's. In the 60's and 70's we raised Charolais, but now we raise Angus. We have fed cattle at feedlots in the Texas panhandle for at least 35 years, so the term "heiferette" is nothing new to me. We use it as a term associated with heifers for feeding as versus heifers kept for breeding purposes. We don't sell our 205 day adjusted weaning weights either. But we do use them as a tool to judge our cattle against their herdmates. We do, however, place greater emphasis on 365 day adjusted yearling weights, which are more closely related to the stocker and finishing phases, where the money is made in the cattle business, assuming the cow-calf phase is break-even at best, due to the high capital costs.

Campground Cattle":v8y0i1eo said:
donnaIL":v8y0i1eo said:
i heard a heiferette was a 3yo, a mature animal, that had not calved. doesnt mean anything is wrong with her, maybe she was not bred.

you are truely blessed campground...and i feel that way too, because so few problems and such good luck. i know we are no where your size or experience, but we are positive.

as far as the cancer eye, i posted a question and lots of view but no responses... i deleted it ... but i still would ask "when looking at the pupil of the eye, if you saw a boxed shape with no pigment..does that mean anything?" this is a baldie...but both my white faces have these pigment changes.

I have never had a case in my Herefords, had one years ago in an F-1 had a leasion like tumor near the eye, and the eye appeared to have a cataract(sp) look.

Campground I have never seen cancer eye up here in Herefords either or any other breed.....other than Charolais cattle

Nice to see this old post come up again.

Camp - when you find that show barn give me a shout - if I have a few bucks to spare I will come down and we can go visit it. We'll grab frenchie and cattleannie and have a few cool ones in the shade.

We are running at almost zero degrees F this morning and it is a bit breezy - still cool here but the snow is slowly disappearing.

Took the sled for a quick spin this morning at daylight to look at the girls in the back - we turned all the heifers into the same field as the cows - easier and cheaper to feed and water one group. Snow was amost to my knees when I jumped off to "create some yellow snow". :lol: :lol:

Spring is on its' way and we will be into mud and rain in another month or so.

Bez

Bez":242cz3uo said:
Nice to see this old post come up again.

Camp - when you find that show barn give me a shout - if I have a few bucks to spare I will come down and we can go visit it. We'll grab frenchie and cattleannie and have a few cool ones in the shade.

We are running at almost zero degrees F this morning and it is a bit breezy - still cool here but the snow is slowly disappearing.

Took the sled for a quick spin this morning at daylight to look at the girls in the back - we turned all the heifers into the same field as the cows - easier and cheaper to feed and water one group. Snow was amost to my knees when I jumped off to "create some yellow snow". :lol: :lol:

Spring is on its' way and we will be into mud and rain in another month or so.

Bez

Well I am still loooking for that show barn full of heiferettes all is not lost haven't given up yet. Iwas told a guy over in New York has been there before I'm going to see if I can look him up.

Bez ya'll are a lot tougher than me lows here 60 highs upper 70's, going to price fertilizer today, with fuel prices won't be buying as many tons this year.

Never heard the term heiferette, sounds like some sort of Smurf cow to me. :shock: ;-) :lol:

Our language is pretty basic: heifer, first calf heifer, second calver, cow. That about wraps it up. Of course this is Alberta, Albertans don't use a lot of French sounding words. ;-)

As far as hay goes; if it looks good, smells good, and feels good it is probably good. Kind of like if it looks like a cow, smells like a cow, feels like a cow it is probably a cow.

Weaning weights, we like the ones that are born small and grow big, another thing that is pretty simple.

I have heard the term heiferette on the markets here for a couple years now. HAD NO CLUE WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT! Thanks for the insight. Now - what is a second calf heifer? I was raised with a female bovine is a heifer until she has her first calf. After that, she is a cow.

We don't use scientific, technical junk either. Grab a handful of that hay and you'll know if you're ready to bale. If 8 out of 10 ears of corn float in the water trough, you're ready to pick corn. A lot of what worked in the old days, still works now.

I founf some more of them heiferettes Nebraska wasn't considered Yankees were they :lol:

VALENTINE LIVESTOCK AUCTION MARKET
Your source for feeder cattle & replacement stock from ranches in the Sandhills of Nebraska.

1-800-682-4874 • 126 N.Government
Valentine, NE 69201

Kansas auction

8424 East Highway 24 Manhattan, KS 66502
(785) 776-4815 (800) 834-1029
Fax (785) 776-081

Quick Links for Recent Sale Results
Steer Calves | Heifer Calves | Stocker Feeder Steers
Stocker Feeder Heifers | Bulls | Cows & Heiferettes | Pairs
Holstein Steers | Bred Cows

COWS & HEIFERETTES -750-1,475 LBS.
Liz Buller Council Grove 1 blk hfrt 755 @ 97.00
Adams Ranch Maple Hill 1 wf hfrt 825 @ 83.00
Pathway Outfitting Topeka 1 blk hfrt 875 @ 78.50
Brian Marten Onaga 1 blk cow 1270 @ 66.75
Seth Farms Council Grove 1 cross cow 1285 @ 63.25
Paul Taylor Olsburg 1 blk cow 1110 @ 63.25
Sunrock Ranch Junction City 1 bwf cow 1310 @ 63.00
Charles Michaels Manhattan 1 blk cow 1245 @ 63.00
Jim Currie Manhattan 1 blk cow 1015 @63.00

Market Reports Available for 2003

November 20 - Special Spring Calf Sale

November 13 - Special Spring Calf Sale

November 10 - Special Bred Female & Regular Sale

November 6 - Special Spring Calf Sale

November 3 - Regular Sale

A big snow on the ground consequently a light run of cows. Market was active to strong.

Feeding & Rebreed Cows: $51 to $62 Heiferettes: $54 to $86

High Yeilding Cows: $48 to $57 Bulls: $51 to $64

Seems most internet cattlemen don't know what heiferettes are....that's interesting. ;-) It is a basic class of feeder cattle,
that has been explained very well. The male counterpart is called a "cutting bull". You can call anyone in any part of the country that feeds or ships cattle, and he'll know exactly what your talking about. Basic stuff here.

I started hearing the term heiferette about 6 or 7 years ago. Used to, I could buy thin, open heifers that had raised one calf for 30-40 cents per pound and breed them and sell them for a huge profit as springers. They would only bring slaughter price and because they were thin, the slaughter price was cheap. Then, the feedlots started feeding them out and instead of them bringing 30 cents, they were bringing 50 cents and then as the fed beef market went up, they also went up to 80 or 90 and even up to 1.10 per pound at one time. The Heiferette market deserves alot of credit for our good cattle market right now, because those heifers were going to the feedlot instead of back to the farm. For about 5 or 6 years the bred heifers were worth less than the open heifers. The last couple of years the bred heifers have caught up, but a good 850 lb thin heifer that has raised a calf will still bring 80-90 cents per pound, which isnt too bad. It is my understanding that a heiferette is anything that mouths out 3 years and down but has had a calf. There was a short term scare with bse and they slowed down buying them to feed, but they are doing it as strongly now as before

Latest posts