Dumb and dead

Help Support CattleToday:

Awww what the he[[. Everyone else has jumped in on this, I may as well throw in my :2cents: . I must be a lousy manager as well; my nurse cow died one night while I was sleeping. She got herself cast in the upper field. The fool laid down with her legs uphill and her back downhill. That was the second....and last time she ever did that. The 1st time she did it right close to the house and we got to her before we got to our morning coffee (that time she had done it in an area that 'dipped'). We got to her just in time on that one. 2 years later she did it again and died. I hated that I lost her, and I hated that she died the way she did, but I cannot be with my animals 24 hours a day, I need to sleep at some point.

And as others have said, I'm glad hook posted this, I'm sure someone out there has learned something.

As for the comments about ratshot....I'd be surprised if ratshot could penetrate all the way through the tough hide of a cow. Buckshot maybe, but I doubt ratshot, but I could be wrong.

Hook, I'm glad you fenced off the bog, you have now succeeded in preventing anymore from getting stuck. Sorry to hear you lost the one that you did lose.

Katherine

E in PA":2atjibp0 said:
Hook, focus. I really want to see a picture of a smokey calf.

I'm not hook...but....if I were able to post pics here, I would post a pic of a smokey calf, I have had quite a few of them.....but not out of tigerstripes.

Katherine

Ok..... It has a smoky look to it. Solid colored, brown..ish with a whiskey grey look to it in the sunlight. Being a purchased bred she was either bred to black hide or char. But, being a fresh calf from a tiger, its hard to get a picture of either with my camera phone on the 200 acers on the off chance she does come up with her calf. Just for clarification purposes.
I did stop by another property today while I was in the area and found a new long legged heifer calf out of a good looking beef master type momma. Thing Looks like a deer. But, despite my lack of attention or interference, both her and momma are doing good, both up and running. Intried to read them a story but neither wanted any part of it and I can't figure out why. Maybe Alan has the sweet voice needed to read to them. I sure wish he would come out to this wonderful state of florida to show me how it's done

dun":12m1uzma said:
greybeard":12m1uzma said:
I caught a 7lb channel cat out of my pond Sunday evening Hook. I'd have more of 'em and bigger ones if I could ever find someone willing to fish down the bass population. Them big mouths eat everything that moves.
You're sure right about the big mouths. But the big mouths that have cleaned out all th bass, crappie and bluegills are channel cats
I would agree, except there aren't many channel cat in there anymore, but it's full of crappie, bass, and bluegill. (we don't have any small mouth in there that I know of)

greybeard":21jo3xdc said:
dun":21jo3xdc said:
greybeard":21jo3xdc said:
I caught a 7lb channel cat out of my pond Sunday evening Hook. I'd have more of 'em and bigger ones if I could ever find someone willing to fish down the bass population. Them big mouths eat everything that moves.
You're sure right about the big mouths. But the big mouths that have cleaned out all th bass, crappie and bluegills are channel cats
I would agree, except there aren't many channel cat in there anymore, but it's full of crappie, bass, and bluegill. (we don't have any small mouth in there that I know of)
One pond we fished out all of the cats but one with a trotline. There is still that one left in there. TRied the soap bait which is what caught all of the others, chicken liver, stink bait and the darn thing won;t get caught. I'm trying to get it out so I can stock the pond with bluegill and bass

dun":1xn5ku36 said:
One pond we fished out all of the cats but one with a trotline. There is still that one left in there. TRied the soap bait which is what caught all of the others, chicken liver, stink bait and the darn thing won;t get caught. I'm trying to get it out so I can stock the pond with bluegill and bass

Probably a yellow cat (flat head or apaloosa). They only bite on bait that wiggles. Perch and crawfish are ideal. Chanel cat will bite anything that stinks.

backhoeboogie":24s9qum4 said:
dun":24s9qum4 said:

Probably a yellow cat (flat head or apaloosa). They only bite on bait that wiggles. Perch and crawfish are ideal. Chanel cat will bite anything that stinks.
I stocked them all originally and they were all channels from the same fish farm

One pond we fished out all of the cats but one with a trotline. There is still that one left in there. TRied the soap bait which is what caught all of the others, chicken liver, stink bait and the darn thing won;t get caught. I'm trying to get it out so I can stock the pond with bluegill and bass[/quote]

Flag down an otter they will take care of the fish in your pond whether that is the plan or not :nod:

mwj":3plmz0tj said:

Flag down an otter they will take care of the fish in your pond whether that is the plan or not :nod:[/quote]
I hadthought of using dynamite but there is a 3 foot long grass carp in there I'ls just as soon not kill

dun":3h6jpqdw said:
There is still that one left in there. TRied the soap bait which is what caught all of the others, chicken liver, stink bait and the darn thing won;t get caught. I'm trying to get it out so I can stock the pond with bluegill and bass
Are you sure it's still in there, maybe it took a walk :p

dun":3s0kvrf9 said:
backhoeboogie":3s0kvrf9 said:
dun":3s0kvrf9 said:

I stocked them all originally and they were all channels from the same fish farm

You are a trusting fellow LOL More so than I would be. Dun I have caught yellows out of catfish farms in Hallsville, Texas. Owner swore that fish didn't come out of his ponds. So I said, "then I get to keep it for free versus paying for it?"

Hook, They are hijacking your thread to talk about fish ponds. Lets get back to discussing dumb and dead cows. And important things like hourly checks to make sure they stay healthy.

Dave":3qeqkcxg said:
Hook, They are hijacking your thread to talk about fish ponds. Lets get back to discussing dumb and dead cows. And important things like hourly checks to make sure they stay healthy.

My "dumb" cows happen to be smarter than a few folks on this forum. I have no intention of using a case in point so you can all relax. :lol:

Around here if you get a decent sized puddle of water that stands for more than a couple of weeks the birds will stock it with all different kinds of fish. Sac a lait to bream to bass to all kinds of catfish.

Sorry, i've not had a dumb or dead lately that I want to get raked over coals for. :)

alisonb":31twrb6z said:
dun":31twrb6z said:
There is still that one left in there. TRied the soap bait which is what caught all of the others, chicken liver, stink bait and the darn thing won;t get caught. I'm trying to get it out so I can stock the pond with bluegill and bass
Are you sure it's still in there, maybe it took a walk :p
Saw it swimming aroudn a while back when I fed the bass and bluegills that never came up, but the catfish did.

Latest posts