Dumb and dead

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan":399uhwl8 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":399uhwl8 said:
Just got a call I didn't expect to get today. Somehow whatever the vet gave her yesterday gave her enough get up and go that last night she got up and went. He's off today but as soon as I can find out what he loaded her up with I'll come back and post. My mother in law said that he even told her he thought she was a goner yesterday before he treated her.

I am so relieved.

That's good news, sounds like you and your MIL handled it well. I'm curious what the vet gave her.

She's been at this for over 50 years so she wasn't rattled at all. All she knows is that he gave her "what it is they give them when they are down or having calving problems". I'll find out more when I take to Matt the vet.

TennesseeTuxedo":3o8is254 said:
They said they couldn't get anywhere near the wash with the tractor Caustic or that's probably what they would have done too. I'll be up there next weekend and I'll be interested to see exactly where she was when she slid down in there. Vet wondered if the bull might have been trying to mount her and knocked her down the bank or something like that because he preg checked her and she was open. Don't guess we'll ever know what happened but I'm tickled pink she figured a way out.

I ended up with the neighbor's bull in the pasture a few month's ago.
His bull's got to fighting on the side of the hill one either fell or got knocked down.
He rolled through the fence bent t post over when he rolled over them and was a mad boy when I came up.

TennesseeTuxedo":2io16zez said:
Just got a call I didn't expect to get today. Somehow whatever the vet gave her yesterday gave her enough get up and go that last night she got up and went. He's off today but as soon as I can find out what he loaded her up with I'll come back and post. My mother in law said that he even told her he thought she was a goner yesterday before he treated her.

I am so relieved.
That's cool. I wouldn't be surprised if the vet just gave her some dextrose iv. It really gives them a boost of energy.

And on the insurance front: vet looked the paperwork over and can't sign off without doin a full necropsy. No claim will be filed

hooknline":1ohpagwd said:
And on the insurance front: vet looked the paperwork over and can't sign off without doin a full necropsy. No claim will be filed
That's to bad, but about what i expected.

denvermartinfarms":3r8e3cjm said:
hooknline":3r8e3cjm said:
That's to bad, but about what i expected.
Me too.

I read all the posts on this thread so far. All I can think is there would be very few cattle raisers today if we still had the screw worm flies. In those days you rode and checked a pasture every day to check for animals with the screw worms.Pastures here are thick mesquite brush. Every Day after the last frost until the onset of winter pastures had to be ridden and cattle doctored. No one dehorned ,branded or castrated until after frost killed the screw worm flies. Cattle still got cuts from barbed wire and each others horns,baby calves had to be caught and navels doctored with pinetar and screw worm meds. My father owned 20 using horses,he had 3 hired hands that rode daily.He and I rode daily also. We still found dead cattle. Typical day we loaded 4 horses for the two of us. We rode one each until noon then swapped for fresh ones. We took 4 dogs with us also,two stayed in trailer in the morning the other two were swapped at noon when we changed horses.We seldom ate lunch,Pop said get a drink of water and keep riding,lunch is a modern habit.
Many bigger operators only saw their cattle 3 or 4 times a year. The rest of the year the hired help saw to the cattle. In my opinion cattle ranching in this area is gone,we are now all stock farmers.We plant crops for the cattle to eat ,wheat in winter hay grazer in summer and improved Bermuda grass pastures. we now drive 4 wheelers and pen cows with feed sacks. Things have changed.
Every area is a bit different,to each his own.

Brute 23":3tmy4ovy said:
We still have some of that but trucks, atvs, choppers have all made it easier to cover ground. Don't have to ride for hours looking. Wait for a call from the chopper, drive the truck closer to the problem, unload the horses. ;-)
Wait a minute Brute. All of us don't own choppers. Ok..gotta go..my pilot is waiting. :lol2: :lol2:

Brute 23":ubpp8s8j said:
We still have some of that but trucks, atvs, choppers have all made it easier to cover ground. Don't have to ride for hours looking. Wait for a call from the chopper, drive the truck closer to the problem, unload the horses. ;-)

Brute I remember as a young man working for a fellow that owned a large chunk of the old West Ranch, one time second only to the King. We didn't hay cow's in the winter they had to survive off the salt grass. We penned twice a year with horses and dog's and those cow's would eat you alive. We cut the calves off to go to Sealy along with the cull's.
Wormed with some awful stuff with a huge syringe I can't even remeber the name of. We would wear out two or three horses apiece on those day's. I have rode a many a mile of fence on that place as that was the only way to navigate it.
Truck's don't cross bayou's well. If we found a down cow most of the time we shot it.
I can still hear J.D. the man that owned the operation when checking them one winter saying son that old cow aint going to make spring.
It was an efficient way to ranch as they had very little input's I am not sure if he ever knew how many he owned.
Wasn't the best way to raise beef IMO.

Caustic, I remember those huge syringes for deworming. We called them drench guns. I believe it was a green stuff and if you didn't get it down their throat just right it came right back up all over the person doing the job.

A few years ago I met a guy that worked cattle for others on properties loaded with Huisache, Black Locust and Green Brier. He said sometimes the cattle they were trying to gather would be holding up in this stuff and they didn't wanted to get their horses tangled up in it. So, they would shoot them in the butt with 22 rat shot in order to get them moving.

baleflipper":6q3ffb4w said:
I read all the posts on this thread so far. All I can think is there would be very few cattle raisers today if we still had the screw worm flies. In those days you rode and checked a pasture every day to check for animals with the screw worms.Pastures here are thick mesquite brush. Every Day after the last frost until the onset of winter pastures had to be ridden and cattle doctored. No one dehorned ,branded or castrated until after frost killed the screw worm flies. Cattle still got cuts from barbed wire and each others horns,baby calves had to be caught and navels doctored with pinetar and screw worm meds. My father owned 20 using horses,he had 3 hired hands that rode daily.He and I rode daily also. We still found dead cattle. Typical day we loaded 4 horses for the two of us. We rode one each until noon then swapped for fresh ones. We took 4 dogs with us also,two stayed in trailer in the morning the other two were swapped at noon when we changed horses.We seldom ate lunch,Pop said get a drink of water and keep riding,lunch is a modern habit.
Many bigger operators only saw their cattle 3 or 4 times a year. The rest of the year the hired help saw to the cattle. In my opinion cattle ranching in this area is gone,we are now all stock farmers.We plant crops for the cattle to eat ,wheat in winter hay grazer in summer and improved Bermuda grass pastures. we now drive 4 wheelers and pen cows with feed sacks. Things have changed.
Every area is a bit different,to each his own.

There is a reason that its not done like that anymore its called going broke. Personally I glad for the improvements that have been done over the years and hope more come. It not only makes it easier on the people but also on the cows as well. I don't see anything wrong with that.

James T":1uqh8bk8 said:
Caustic, I remember those huge syringes for deworming. We called them drench guns. I believe it was a green stuff and if you didn't get it down their throat just right it came right back up all over the person doing the job.

Probably phenothiazine. Use to have a big bucket of the stuff.

TexasBred":2rt3df41 said:
Brute 23":2rt3df41 said:
Wait a minute Brute. All of us don't own choppers. Ok..gotta go..my pilot is waiting. :lol2: :lol2:

Darn things sure have got expensive aint they. Even the fuel price is terrible.
Im proud of myself, I have stayed out of this one for 2 days and not called hook a dummy even once. :secret:

James T":1gy4zgsv said:

A few years ago I met a guy that worked cattle for others on properties loaded with Huisache, Black Locust and Green Brier. He said sometimes the cattle they were trying to gather would be holding up in this stuff and they didn't wanted to get their horses tangled up in it. So, they would shoot them in the butt with 22 rat shot in order to get them moving.

That is the right stuff the cow might not get wormed but you did.
You pull up with a trailer every tail would go straight up and off to the thicket's and bayou's they went.
You had to have dog's no way you would have every come close to getting them out of the thicket's on horse.
J.D. owned 900 acres and had a bunch of that Armand Bayou land leased it became a wildlife reserve.
There was nothing there then just wood's, salt grass, game and cattle.
Now it is chicken coop's filled with a mass of humanity. There is a big golf course where one of the working pens used to be.
Exxon Mobil bought the Old West Ranch and spun a company off called Friendswood Development.
NASA is on part of the old West Ranch. The area really started booming in the 80's.

Pulled a huge holstein cow out of a boggy lake once with a tractor. Rope around her horns only. I was the one trying to guide her chin so it didn't double under while going up the bank. the whole time I was sick, thinking that both horns were going to snap off and leave the cow without the top of her head or something. Luckily she came out! @TT: if there is a next time and there is no tractor/backhoe access maybe you could rig up some real heavy duty come-alongs and/or boat pulleys to the trees... just a thought.

kenny thomas":2t7jhy7i said:
TexasBred":2t7jhy7i said:
Brute 23":2t7jhy7i said:

Darn things sure have got expensive aint they. Even the fuel price is terrible.
Im proud of myself, I have stayed out of this one for 2 days and not called hook a dummy even once. :secret:
Pile on Kenny

What can I say that hasn't been said. I check the cows once a week if im not feeding hay and I quit feeding 3 weeks ago. I drive by and make sure they are not out but if they get out they are probably still on my farms anyway.
A cow on my farm grazes most of the winter, breeds back and calves good or they go to market. My input cost is pretty low compared to others in this area.
When I was younger I almost lived with them and maybe I should take better care now but thats how it is.
I have 3 and 4 wt calves that I feed by hand every night and make sure they are not sick. Totally different need from what the cows need.
And hook, your still a dummy. See I said it. hahaha

Regarding the rat shot, I recall some years ago a cowboy saying the only way to get cattle out of the brush was with a shotgun.

Which of course results in lead in the beef, which resulted in Korea banning our beef......

Anyway, we often think the way we're doing things is the only way it can be done, but somehow years later we're doing it differently.

Surely the cowboys of 50 years ago would laugh at the gentler handling methods of today.

Doesn't hurt to look at criticism and see if one can make improvements.

Latest posts