Duff Cattle Company/Power Plus

Help Support CattleToday:

BA":3lg760j4 said:
Pretty cows, pretty fat too. Gotta love range pictures with clipped cows that have never missed a meal. Might be good cows too, but what would they do in the real world?

Having used the breeding that is behind most of these cows ourselves I will say that they do ten times better in the real world than most bloodlines that are out there. We used Ohlde heavily years ago and switched away for "fresher" genetics. It was by far the worse management decision we ever made. Through the use of popular and even proven bloodlines we have 5-6 years of heifers that udders aren't up to par and aren't near as efficient as the Ohlde lines we used in the past and now again in the present.

I'm not knocking Ohlde lines, I've seen them and liked them. I'm talking about pampered cows in the pictures on here. I realize they go back to Ohlde lines, but I'm talking about the ones in the video and the ones in the catalog from Duff. They look like they could have a stroke they're so fat. That's all I'm saying.

They might not be as pampered as you think. If you look at our bulls on the website and the young 1/2 Ohlde heifers they are in very good shape on forages only. One guy that bought a bull from me last summer remarked that it would be hard to imagine what those cattle could do if they were fed hard. He is right.

I really didn't mean to start anything and I know OCC cattle flesh well, but when DCC pics have the perfect hair and all the grooming, It is very obvious that the cattle are fed very, very well. Most cattle pics that include fitting of cattle are fed very well - thats all I'm saying. Also, when a cow puts that much condition on, sometimes her calf doesn't and sometimes it negatively affects reproduction.

Went to the sale. There was a alot of people there, and was a heck of a set of bulls. They were some Thick and Muscled up dudes.

I had an auctioneer tell me that one of the ringmen that worked the sale said that the bulls averaged over $5000 at Duff.

Circle H Ranch

I don't know how Duff's feed their cattle, but I do know how Ohldes do. The bulls are developed on a mixed ration of brome hay, triticale silage and 1.5 lb of milo per head when it is cold. It is a almost total forage diet. They do very well on it. I would hate to say what performance you would see if they were on a bull test type ration.

I often laugh to myself when I read that bulls are on a high roughage diet, and then read they are fed silage. I have no problem with bulls being fed silage or whatever a person wants to feed them, however don't blow smoke up my butt by telling me it's high roughage. Half of the dry matter tonnage of silage cut at the appropriate time comes from the head; ie: grain.

Busterz":325ijqh0 said:
What does "Power Plus" mean?

Buster, I've read, probably on CT,that it's brangus bred back to angus or vice versa. Either way seems to me it's just adjusting the ratio of angus and brahman in the offspring. In the region where brangus were developed they evidently found the 5/8 and 3/8 ratio the ideal. I suppose in other regions a different content of either breed might be more advantageous.

Cowdirt":2e7ldon5 said:
Busterz":2e7ldon5 said:
What does "Power Plus" mean?

Buster, I've read, probably on CT,that it's brangus bred back to angus or vice versa. Either way seems to me it's just adjusting the ratio of angus and brahman in the offspring. In the region where brangus were developed they evidently found the 5/8 and 3/8 ratio the ideal. I suppose in other regions a different content of either breed might be more advantageous.

They don't have brangus cattle,it's just something to call their cattle.

WichitaLineMan":3mdr9i7u said:
Sounds like you guys are confusing Power Plus with UltraBlacks!

LOL!!!

I think you're right WLM. Now I need to also ask, "what is a Power Plus"? I'm too lazy to search.

"what is a Power Plus"?

It's a name they gave their cattle for marketing.

Willow Springs":3h6e7td8 said:
I don't know how Duff's feed their cattle, but I do know how Ohldes do. The bulls are developed on a mixed ration of brome hay, triticale silage and 1.5 lb of milo per head when it is cold. It is a almost total forage diet. They do very well on it. I would hate to say what performance you would see if they were on a bull test type ration.

I often laugh to myself when I read that bulls are on a high roughage diet, and then read they are fed silage. I have no problem with bulls being fed silage or whatever a person wants to feed them, however don't blow smoke up my butt by telling me it's high roughage. Half of the dry matter tonnage of silage cut at the appropriate time comes from the head; ie: grain.

This maybe true in farm country, but in our area, their isn't very much corn in it. You dig through a pile of silage and you have to hunt for the yellow gold. We have never had any corn silage at our place but a few nighbors do. It is pretty high ruffage in my book. Now when you go east of the river, and you look in the silage and it is nearly 1/2 yellow, I know what you mean.

Latest posts