Duff Cattle Company/Power Plus

Help Support CattleToday:

GRTiger85

Reaction score
Has anyone bought a bull from them or used one? I was wanting to get some opionions on their bulls/operation if possible. Thinking about going to their bull sale in march to look for a clean up bull/herdsire to use as an outcross on my cows with precision and new design in them. They look like some thick efficient cattle.

It's just Ohlde cattle feed hard,they have brought alot of money in years past.

EAT BEEF":30uv8x1e said:
It's just Ohlde cattle feed hard,they have brought alot of money in years past.
That's all I've heard too. Looked into using some of their bulls, but when I saw all the OCC I decided against it. Not because they're OCC cattle, I've just used several OCC bulls lately and need new blood.

I should add the few times I have talked with Duff I liked him,and a shot of Ohlde genetics maybe just what you need in those kind of cattle,if your going to keep the heifers.

Ya I plan on retaining my heifers and all bulls that make the grade will be sold. was thinking that one of their bulls would be a good outcross, put a little more efficiency into some of them. Just have to keep my milk epds where I want them as I noticed some of the OCC stuff gets lower, and Id like to keep that at a optimal level for my operation.

Not sure if you had seen the video below. Have eaten meat out of their branded beef program many times and it was some of the best steaks that I have ever had. I know they work with their customers to source cattle out of their genetics to put into the branded beef program. Might be something you ask them about.

[youtube]99zUW8Kz0wY[/youtube]

I haven't been to Duff's sale but i am going to sample some of their genetics this year, Duff Encore 702, and Duff Basic Instinct 6501. Also may sample a bull or two from Conley's. There is definetly alot of Ohdle blood in both herds, but that is also what attracted me to them. I really like what Ohdle's are doing, but want a tick more performance and I think the Conley and Duff operations are adding just a little more of that.

GRTiger85":3089tvxy said:
was thinking that one of their bulls would be a good outcross, put a little more efficiency into some of them.
why would you want to outcross breeding bulls?

I don't know how Duff's feed their cattle, but I do know how Ohldes do. The bulls are developed on a mixed ration of brome hay, triticale silage and 1.5 lb of milo per head when it is cold. It is a almost total forage diet. They do very well on it. I would hate to say what performance you would see if they were on a bull test type ration.

Very funny Aero :)

KMacGinley":23a9fd1v said:
How about a nice Shoshone bull?

Yep or a Cole Creek Angus bull...The have a good share of Shoshone blood in their herd...

I loved Gregs latest ad in the Montana Angus Journal advertising their upcoming March 22 sale...At the bottom of the ad he has:

This herd is FREE of and has NO 9J9- Precision, NO Fame-Focus, NO 315-036-New Design and NO Bando155- Bando 598 lines.

I can't wait to get his next catalog and read more of his philosophy of raising cattle that work for you...

creativecattle":2uk737f9 said:
Not sure if you had seen the video below. Have eaten meat out of their branded beef program many times and it was some of the best steaks that I have ever had. I know they work with their customers to source cattle out of their genetics to put into the branded beef program. Might be something you ask them about.

[youtube]99zUW8Kz0wY[/youtube]
dam, those are fantastic cattle

I do not know of anyone who has bought their bulls, My son has been up there several times, He says that the catlle are extremley good but small for our taste. He seemed to think that they feed their bulls a bit more than Oldhe. But those boogers are very well conditioned. They are well made and very pleasing on the eyes from what he says. I cant tell you anything about the milk EPD's but I can say that my son noted that some of the udders (size, teat placement and attachment) were especially tremendous as thick and broody as those cows are. His only negative comment was that they are to small for us. I think were are talking an average of 5 frames or lower. For many that is a good thing. Good luck in your serach.

NOW! THOSE are the kind of momma cows I am talkin' about! Breeders can discuss and argue and harangue and blather about EPD's and DNA Technology, and Functional Traits, and 'pick apart' ideas and facts and truth - BUT -
THOSE ARE THE KIND OF MOMMA COWS THAT WILL MAKE YOU MONEY! No argument, no discussion, no "Yes, But's - - -"

Case closed!

DOC HARRIS

Pretty cows, pretty fat too. Gotta love range pictures with clipped cows that have never missed a meal. Might be good cows too, but what would they do in the real world?