Dry Beans - Please add your own favorite to the catagory.

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
This came out of a newspaper several years ago. Either the Eagle out of Bryan or The Houston Chronicle. Don't remember which. A little different than just a pot of beans but you have a little more work too.

Why would anyone want to screw up a good pot of pinter beans by adding all that junk. A little salt and pepper, hamhocks and onion is all that's needed

Charro beans are a very popular dish in Mexican restaurants around South Texas. :nod:
Put the beans in a blender, add some hog fat (lard) and blend until they look like peanut butter. Then they call them re-fried beans. Add some beer and they call them Baracho Beans.( Drunk Beans )
Smear them on a fresh home made flour or corn tortilla and go to town.
Keep the windows open in the truck :lol: :lol:

btw... IT IS UN-AMERICAN NOT TO PUT BEANS IN CHILI.

dun":pwk468o5 said:
Why would anyone want to screw up a good pot of pinter beans by adding all that junk. A little salt and pepper, hamhocks and onion is all that's needed

Exactly. Hamhocks or smoked turkey necks do it good!

Vette, those charro beans sound really, really good. Thanks for the tip. Might cook up a mess of those next week when the boys are home from college.

My favorite recipe for dried beans is a 1 lb bag of large white lima beans and a ham hock. Put the beans and ham hock in water and simmer till done. I don't ever bother to look for rocks like the package directions tell you to do. Watch that the water doesn't get all soaked up. I like it kind of soupy. Serve with sliced onion and cornbread.

ga. prime":13rocleh said:
Vette, those charro beans sound really, really good. Thanks for the tip. Might cook up a mess of those next week when the boys are home from college.

My favorite recipe for dried beans is a 1 lb bag of large white lima beans and a ham hock. Put the beans and ham hock in water and simmer till done. I don't ever bother to look for rocks like the package directions tell you to do. Watch that the water doesn't get all soaked up. I like it kind of soupy. Serve with sliced onion and cornbread.

He ga. prime, smaller batches cook faster so time intervals need to be adjusted. 4 pound of beans makes a huge pot of beans. :eek:

Latest posts