Dry sausage

Help Support CattleToday:

Love it. We are taking on homemade sausage next year. Let us know how it turns out.
I grew up making our own, my grandparents always dried sausage in a smoke house, and made fresh sausage and bacon.
We put a cold smoke on it, and hope for cool dry weather, this should be ready in about a week.

I got my first batch hung this year.
I looked at that picture early this morning on my phone and all seen was a bunch of horseshoes.

Yes, let us know your process and results. My wife bought a sausage kit a year ago, but only been using it for jerky.

To 50 lbs of meat
1-lb salt
1/4-lb black pepper
Garlic to taste
Red pepper to taste
We use mustard seeds also but I have diverticulitis and can't have seeds
Dad's was salt, black pepper and ground mustard. For some reason Mom didn't like it with red pepper. They did use quite a bit of black pepper.

To 50 lbs of meat
1-lb salt
1/4-lb black pepper
Garlic to taste
Red pepper to taste
We use mustard seeds also but I have diverticulitis and can't have seeds
How long do they last without refrigeration? That's what they are for, right? To be something you can keep without otherwise preserving it?

When we get them out we wrap them and put them in the freezer, take out when we want to eat them.
I let them set out for days without any problems.
Ohhhh... I thought they were a dry sausage to be kept without refrigeration. Thanks. Hope they are as good as they look.

Latest posts