Head sausage

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
Some call it hog head cheese, we always called it head sausage, I learned how to make it from my grandparents. After me and my brothers are gone the tradition will probably end.
I have ate it all my life, it has the head meat,heart, liver, kidneys, tongue and just regular meat, some put rice in it but we never have.

Attachments

• IMG_3223.jpeg
    IMG_3223.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 10
Some call it hog head cheese, we always called it head sausage, I learned how to make it from my grandparents. After me and my brothers are gone the tradition will probably end.
I have ate it all my life, it has the head meat,heart, liver, kidneys, tongue and just regular meat, some put rice in it but we never have.
They call it head cheese or souse meat down here. Is yours made with beef? Here it is made from the hog parts.

It's made out of pork.
It was a breakfast dish only for my grandparents, put it in the oven, heat it up, make corn bread, butter corn bread and pour molasses over everything, so good.
We eat if cold with hot sauce and crackers and also for breakfast, my favorite is breakfast.
I ate it four meals in a row, it was so good.
I skipped this morning, I had breakfast sausage I made with eggs.
I don't want to burn out on it lol.

Souse has a lot of fat, jello like with small chunks of meat, we boil the meat grind it like sausage, add enough of the liquid to the right consistency, it's more like boudin than what we call souse.
I like souse too.
When my friends know I'm making it they have to have some.

Love it! My Irish grandmother (1890-1979) used to make it here in North Dakota.

Latest posts