Dry sausage

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
Made 100 lbs of sausage today to dry.
50/50 nalgi,pork loin.
We give it a good smoking and put a fan blowing on it, should be ready to eat in about 8-10 days, depending on weather, cool and dry is the best.
My grandparents made it, I grew up eating it, they would use deer and pork, a friend had nalgi so we used it.
We used it before and it's lean and drys good.

Attachments

• 3E565355-BCD9-4013-8277-E625F0FDDFF6.jpeg
    3E565355-BCD9-4013-8277-E625F0FDDFF6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
Nalgi=Nilgai
What the heck are antelope from India doing in Texas?
You guys allow anything and everything to cross your border. :) lol

Next thing ya know some wise guy from Texas A&M will figure out how to cross them with feral hogs to improve tex452's sausage making efficiency.

Last edited:
What the heck are antelope from India doing in Texas?
You guys allow anything and everything to cross your border. :) lol

Next thing ya know some wise guy from Texas A&M will figure out how to cross them with feral hogs to improve tex452's sausage making efficiency.
King Ranch brought them to their Norias Division ranch in the '20s and '30s.

I ate many pounds of it when I was growing up. Most of it was all pork.

We didn't hang it like you do. The sausage wasn't draped over the rod like yours. The string was longer, and that's what was in contact with the rod.

My father would also smoke fresh sausage for a couple of days before bringing it in and putting it in the freezer to cook later.

I ate many pounds of it when I was growing up. Most of it was all pork.

We didn't hang it like you do. The sausage wasn't draped over the rod like yours. The string was longer, and that's what was in contact with the rod.

My father would also smoke fresh sausage for a couple of days before bringing it in and putting it in the freezer to cook later.

We smoke it for fresh too.
Everybody's going to do things a little different.
I learned years ago there's different ways to skin a cat.

When I was a kid and helped my grandparents on their farm we would come in from the fields and have a snack about 3:00, most of the time it would be dry sausage with kolaches or butter/jelly bread.
Good stuff.

Do you have any pictures of your smoking setup?
We made another 51 links.
Our smoke house is big enough where we can set the smoker just fall enough from the sausage so it doesn't get hot, it is a dirt floor.

Attachments

• 6B73D037-D1AB-455D-B58D-EA3EC4F9CBD8.jpeg
    6B73D037-D1AB-455D-B58D-EA3EC4F9CBD8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • C8F62100-825B-4F16-8C79-50C48B18707C.jpeg
    C8F62100-825B-4F16-8C79-50C48B18707C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
I seen on the last Alaskans, the guy said he makes a killer lynx /beaver sausage.
When I can get fixed right to go do one of those mountain lion hunts, I'd really like to try something like that. Beaver ain't bad. Somebody told me mountain lion fixed up asian style (go on and make the joke, it's right there) is good.

When I can get fixed right to go do one of those mountain lion hunts, I'd really like to try something like that. Beaver ain't bad. Somebody told me mountain lion fixed up asian style (go on and make the joke, it's right there) is good.
Lots of people eat wild cats especially up north, is what I'm told.
The bobcats I have skinned have beautiful meat, but we never ate one.

Latest posts