Drum mower question

Help Support CattleToday:

In certain grass like oats it will work IMO. In dry mature grass it probably will work. In high moisture grass it may wrap. Sometimes you have to try everything to get work done so give it a try.

Sheeeeeeit! I'm shocked you havent fabricated and installed a custom drum from your scrap pile(after seeing how innovative you are with pipe and your shop made packers) 👨‍🔧

Btw Fence, I'm using your protocol for smoking a brisket (as communicated elsewhere) put it on at 0400 this am. Cant wait for the results. Salt and pepper only!

bball said:
Btw Fence, I'm using your protocol for smoking a brisket (as communicated elsewhere) put it on at 0400 this am. Cant wait for the results. Salt and pepper only!

Did you use a untrimmed packer style??
About 190 to 200. Pull that sucker this afternoon and wrap in foil and back in till morning

callmefence said:
bball said:

Did you use a untrimmed packer style??
About 190 to 200. Pull that sucker this afternoon and wrap in foil and back in till morning
I dont wanna highjack your drum mower thread, but it was a brisket from a fat we took in back in Oct. I would say its lightly trimmed. Still has quite a bit of fat cover. Been steady at 192 since 0400. Foil is ready to un roll!

Well, the results are simply delightful!
My wife (who only has 3 teeth) paused from her plate just long enough to remark , "you don't need no teef to eat this beef!"
There is rumor in Memphis of a social movement that desires to change the name of the beloved Elvis classic, "Love me Tender" to "Callmefence's Brisket" .I may or may not be involved 8)

Seriously, thanks for the input Fence and know this is the ONLY way I will smoke brisket henceforth. :tiphat:

jltrent said:
Can you still get parts for than drum?

I can it's only a year old. But it doesn't matter how new you are when you hit a stump going fast enough. I've been ordering parts from sweet farm equipment in mundelford Kentucky.
A really first class outfit that the guy who answers the phone knows what he's talking about. We mainly use the little cutter to cut rough and dirty fields. I used it yesterday without the drum and I never missed it. Except for the ungodly vibration it was creating

bball said:
Well, the results are simply delightful!
My wife (who only has 3 teeth) paused from her plate just long enough to remark , "you don't need no teef to eat this beef!"
There is rumor in Memphis of a social movement that desires to change the name of the beloved Elvis classic, "Love me Tender" to "Callmefence's Brisket" .I may or may not be involved 8)

Seriously, thanks for the input Fence and know this is the ONLY way I will smoke brisket henceforth. :tiphat:

Wife managed a pit BBQ joint for several years.
The real beauty by slow cooking at the desired internal temp, and finishing in foil ( known as the Texas crutch) is you can pull it anywhere from around 18 hours to 28 and still get good results. It works best with the biggest , fattest brisket you can get.

callmefence said:
jltrent said:

I can it's only a year old. But it doesn't matter how new you are when you hit a stump going fast enough. I've been ordering parts from sweet farm equipment in mundelford Kentucky.
A really first class outfit that the guy who answers the phone knows what he's talking about. We mainly use the little cutter to cut rough and dirty fields. I used it yesterday without the drum and I never missed it. Except for the ungodly vibration it was creating

There only about an hour and half from my house. I'm wanting to run a second cutter this year. You getting good use out of your drum mower? I have a Kuhn, and I assume it's indestrucable. The price on them is about double the tar river though.

Bigfoot said:
callmefence said:
jltrent said:

There only about an hour and half from my house. I'm wanting to run a second cutter this year. You getting good use out of your drum mower? I have a Kuhn, and I assume it's indestrucable. The price on them is about double the tar river though.

Yes and we beat on it pretty good. Saving our mowco for the expensive hybrid Sudan crops.
I've had no failures that I couldn't attribute to pretty excessive abuse. The guys at sweet have been amazing. Your fortunate to have a dealer that does what they say when they say.

I am on my second. On being made for the tough jobs, not so sure but my problem with the first could have been self induced. I did knock out a door and side window glass with it to the tune of $1k on my Branson 6530. I bought an '88 Ford 3910 to run the mower and put a plexiglass (Lowe's sheet) shield on the right fender to protect me from flying debris like what whacked the cab tractor.

On wrapping, I agree with JL.

I was working some neighbor's really rough stuff with mine several days ago. You should have seen it wiggle on/over mature fire ant mounds in a field that hadn't seen steel in over 40 years.

Mounds were as much as 10" tall and 24" or so in diameter. These are in Houston Black Clay and had long been abandoned. Were not only a hump in the ground but hard as rocks, not soft and easy to go through with a drum blade. Mounds were everywhere.

I didn't want to tear it up but initially thought it best suited because of it's side cutting feature....saving the Ford 3910 from head on abuse. Being more conservative, I am coming back, maybe this afternoon, to finish the field or work more of it and will be running my 6' medium duty rotary. I bought the drum last year but the rotary mower is 15 years old, costing ⅓ the price of the drum and figure it better suited to who knows what I'll encounter even though the tractor has to buck the tall dead vegetation whereas the drum saves the tractor....but the 3000 Ford is a 1965 diesel and cost what I just paid for the new drum some 30 years ago.

Texasmark said:
I am on my second. On being made for the tough jobs, not so sure but my problem with the first could have been self induced. I did knock out a door and side window glass with it to the tune of $1k on my Branson 6530. I bought an '88 Ford 3910 to run the mower and put a plexiglass (Lowe's sheet) shield on the right fender to protect me from flying debris like what whacked the cab tractor.

I was working some neighbor's really rough stuff with mine several days ago. You should have seen it wiggle on/over mature fire ant mounds in a field that hadn't seen steel in over 40 years.

Mounds were as much as 10" tall and 24" or so in diameter. These are in Houston Black Clay and had long been abandoned. Were not only a hump in the ground but hard as rocks, not soft and easy to go through with a drum blade. Mounds were everywhere.

I didn't want to tear it up but initially thought it best suited because of it's side cutting feature....saving the Ford 3910 from head on abuse. Being more conservative, I am coming back, maybe this afternoon, to finish the field or work more of it and will be running my 6' medium duty rotary. I bought the drum last year but the rotary mower is 15 years old, costing ⅓ the price of the drum and figure it better suited to who knows what I'll encounter even though the tractor has to buck the tall dead vegetation whereas the drum saves the tractor....but the 3000 Ford is a 1965 diesel and cost what I just paid for the new drum some 30 years ago.

Try to keep mark we're talking bout smoking brisket in here
;-) :D

callmefence said:
Texasmark said:

Try to keep mark we're talking bout smoking brisket in here
;-) :D

I spent 4 ½ hours in the field with my little Ford 3000 and the 6' med. duty shredder yesterday. Some of the dry matter was shoulder high on the tractor. Not only did the mower do a perfect job, clean as a whistle on the grass/weeds/Locust sprouts and what have you, it also leveled the fire ant mounds, all in one pass, without grunting. Did have to run in #3 of 8 gears however, as hitting a fire ant mound could shoot you out of the seat. Chop was on the order of 6" long and laid flat on the ground, didn't have to come back with the disc to bury the clippings like were left by the drum. Comparing the two sections of this field, side by side, results support my earlier convictions that the drum does best, on tall crops, cutting hay. Use the rotary for the rough stuff.

On the "Smokin Brisket" sidetrack, I use Mesquite Chips, sometimes adding some Apple for sweetness, or Hickory with beef (Lowe's) and a 4 slot "Smoke Hollow" wood smoker I picked up from ASC. Hard to beat that baby. I really like the way you can cut the heat to a low thermostatically controlled level and let her smoke all day. Well worth the money.

Latest posts