Drought Observations

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you guys put the cattle in a sacrifice lot and feed hay during a drought or are they out eating what's left to the dirt? Here if we let them eat it down to the dirt we would not only need rain but a lot of time for the pastures to recover.

chaded... Mine are out eating the low grass. There is not enough hay around to start putting it out now. They continue to rotate through the nine pasture regardless of the conditions. . There is presently not much ahead of them but moving them spreads out he manure and they are optimistic things will be better in the next pasture. Whom am I tell them they are wrong?
I honestly don't think it matters much to the grass at this point. We have been dry since last spring. In 2011 our grass was grazed to the dirt. It didn't matter much once it started raining. Mother nature has done this longer than I an knows what it takes for grass to recover. In the meantime, we do what we have to to survive.

Last edited:
Do you guys put the cattle in a sacrifice lot and feed hay during a drought or are they out eating what's left to the dirt? Here if we let them eat it down to the dirt we would not only need rain but a lot of time for the pastures to recover.
Neither. I'm not going to let cattle take a pasture to dirt nor will I feed up all my feed. If it's get to that point it's too late.

I'm always thinking if ways to explain this with an analogy. Best I have come up with is our pasture is like our checking account. The cows eating is like our bills every month. In STX it's like being self employed... (or even worse, seasonal work lol). The revenue (rain) comes in spurts. You have to keep a healthy amount of money (grass) in the checking account to stay operating until the next check. If at any point your bills start out running your revenue you have to make cuts. Waiting until the checking account is at zero, is too late the make a change. You dang sure can't live on the savings account (the hay).

Hope is not a plan, IMO. LoL

Neither. Sell pairs while you still have grass. You should never run out (of grass).

Hay got high enough here last year, that it would have been cheaper to shoot old commercial cows rather than feed them thru a long winter.

Neither. I'm not going to let cattle take a pasture to dirt nor will I feed up all my feed. If it's get to that point it's too late.

I'm always thinking if ways to explain this with an analogy. Best I have come up with is our pasture is like our checking account. The cows eating is like our bills every month. In STX it's like being self employed... (or even worse, seasonal work lol). The revenue (rain) comes in spurts. You have to keep a healthy amount of money (grass) in the checking account to stay operating until the next check. If at any point your bills start out running your revenue you have to make cuts. Waiting until the checking account is at zero, is too late the make a change. You dang sure can't live on the savings account (the hay).

Hope is not a plan, IMO. LoL
Like that way of thinking

Neither. Sell pairs while you still have grass. You should never run out (of grass).

Hay got high enough here last year, that it would have been cheaper to shoot old commercial cows rather than feed them thru a long winter.
People are bailing every thing in sight around my house. Pastures with brush and trash and kinds of stuff. Round bale starts at $80 and goes up from there.

I had a person call me out of the blue that sells hay because we have a place off a main highway. Apparently some one gave him my contact. He offered $10 a bale to take off baling pastures, rows, where ever he could get.

That was a first for sure.

He said... why do yall have some much grass?

I said... because we don't bale hay. LoL That's my winter grazing.

He kind of seemed confused. 😄

We've baled over 10,000 bales this summer and it all sold. People come to us, we didnt have to work at it.. We sold to locals first for a fair price. I'd love to get some of the prices people are asking, but, we'd never do that to people we know. The last bits sold for more, only because there aint gonna be no more and it was second cutting and pretty darn good hay. And if we have to replace it, we'll be paying way more for it. I think there is more to be cut, this summer will never end...

Cowgirl-- This place has nine pastures that I rotate through and each one has a stock tank (pond). This kind of takes the pressure off of some of them. They are all very low and some are dangerous for bog downs. Most of the cows I have left have been here a while so they know spots to avoid. This first pic is one that was enlarged before i bought the place. The second pic is a pond I had dug four years ago. It was not a government paid pond but was dug like they make you do and are considered permanent water. For our area that means the bowl is at lest 10' This one was 12'. Considering we have not had a run off rain since March, they have held up very well.

20221004_145052.jpg

20220817_182041.jpg

Latest posts