Droopy ear on heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

TLM1988

Reaction score
Came home from work to put some feed out for my calves and noticed one of my heifers was slow to come up.. when she finally came up (about 1-2 min after the others) I noticed she had one ear droopy compared to the other.. she pushed right up to the bunk and ate.. I've always heard you can tell a lot about the health of a calf by there ears... she's a weaned calf will weigh around 400#'s.. I didn't notice this on her this morning when I checked them.. any advice would be appreciated as this is my first set of feeders

I would get her in and take her temp. Droopy ears is often the first sign. Also look at her eyes. if they appear dull, maybe sunken looking.

Dave":33mgp6o9 said:
I would get her in and take her temp. Droopy ears is often the first sign.
Also look at her eyes, if they appear dull, maybe sunken looking.
As this is TML's first go round with feeders, I'll add sweat beads on nose is another 1st sign of cattle in distress.
Especially fly weights (under 450 lbs) sweat beads on nose as a 1st sign of onset of respiratory problems.

p.s.
For newbies, my Vet loves inforce 3 and hits all purchased cattle with unknown vaccination history with it.
He routinely uses it so much I've accused him of owning shares in the company. :)

This is when a dart gun comes in handy. I would give her a couple days if no change for the better dart her with Draxxin.

Dart gun/rifles are handy for taking temps and diagnosing the actual cause/problem?
Cattle chute with head gate would be handier to me than willy-nilly shooting of 400 lb slow moving feeder calves.

Son of Butch":3efi6c0j said:
Dart gun/rifles are handy for taking temps and diagnosing the actual cause/problem?
Cattle chute with head gate would be handier to me than willy-nilly shooting of 400 lb slow moving feeder calves.

I've never used one but wonder the accuracy of giving sub cu injections ( as Draxxin is to be used) with a dart gun.

Today she seemed like a different calf... first one to the bunk this morning with no droopy ear.. we did get about 2 inches of rain yesterday (forgot to mention that). Still not sold that it was "water in her ear".. cane home and watched her pretty close this afternoon and she was still ears up and alert.. she hangs back from the other calves (all steers) but eventually comes to the bunk like she owns it.. I've got a squeeze chute but it's an older one and still under repairs... gonna keep a close eye on her and work her soon as chute is ready... thanks for all the advice!!!!

I have a dart gun and it comes in handy on occasions. This isn't one of those occasions. On a 4 weight heifer I am not waiting a couple days. I want to deal with it right away if need be. On the other hand we had a droopy ear calf this spring. He is healthy as a horse but to this day his ears droop. Get the calf in and check the temp. If it is high shot her with draxxin (while she is in the chute).

I gave several calves Resflor with the dart gun this spring when we had a little respiratory issue for a few days. The calves were up on high ground about a mile from the closest chute. The nice part is you can get them at first indication of the problem, no stress, no chasing around. Sub cu needles are available, can't verify absolute accuracy of the injection but never had to treat a calf a second time.

Got a dart gun last fall, have some cattle in fields with no working facilities. Was having some respiratory issues with some calves and it worked pretty well. Still like to get them in the chute if possible, but the dart gun is a good way to treat illnesses quickly and not have to stress them out by getting up.

Son of Butch":34wan4gh said:

I agree that getting the calf up would be the best thing. I guess I always just assume people have a schedule like I do and so that isn't always possible. 2 days with droopy ears and coming up last to eat is getting a feeder a shot of Draxxin at my place. I've had the same group of feeders since last November and gave one shot, if that's what you call "willy-nilly".

Willy-nilly is giving a shot before knowing the problem. I didn't intend to make any feel it was directed at them.
One ear drooping on a feeder that pushed right up to the bunk to eat made me think TC might be right about ticks
or other non-illness related problem.

First off - welcome to the board.
Sometimes, even just a bug/fly/tick can crawl up in their ear. Many reasons for 1 to be drooped. But - you are right, you should observe their ears.
It is really good that you observed her "different" look and behavior. That is what makes a good cattle person.
I would suggest that you worked on your chute - sooner rather than later.
Cattle get sick and/or get injured. It is dangerous for you, people around, and the cattle if you don't have proper facilities.
When it was suggested that you don't want to go willy-nilly shooting cattle, basically meant you need to analyze more than one symptom. A thermometer is a real, real cheap investment, and it is the BEST indication that something is wrong.
We sometimes have a rowdy group, but we enjoy helping "newbies".

Couldn't agree more that a thermometer is one of the best investments on a farm/ranch! Also a rope, halter & gloves.

I may have misunderstood your original post when you referred to her as "one of your heifers" but then in your update you said (all steers). Is it possible she's getting a little knocked around if she's the only heifer and it's nothing more than a bruised ear? Also why she tends to hang back? That said, I'd still watch her, take her temp, check her ears and then proceed accordingly.

need a chute to work cattle , I don't think so, its nice and I am sure glad I have one. but if you have a calf that needs doctored a rope and a post will work. a 400 lb. is not that big growing up Grand pa did not care if they were 200 lbs. or 1500 lbs. we roped them and snub them to a snubbing post. Been there and done it, not the best way but it will work.

Latest posts