Newborn with droopy ear

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Had a cow calf and it has one ear droop. Someone mentioned it could be mycoplasma. Can they be born with it? Seems to act fine. Should I treat? 2 weeks old now. Resized_20220415_185940.jpeg

Calf looks okay, could be it was just born with a droopy ear. It happens. When in doubt, take its temp first and go from there. Especially since you haven't noticed any other symptoms of possible sickness.

Had a cow calf and it has one ear droop. Someone mentioned it could be mycoplasma. Can they be born with it? Seems to act fine. Should I treat? 2 weeks old now. View attachment 16235
The calf most likely has a damaged nerve. It can be damaged from the birth process as it comes through the pelvis or it can be one of those very infrequent development issues. Either way it might but probably won't heal and become normal. But it doesn't hurt the calf.

There might be other explanations but I've seen it a few times in all kinds of mammals.

I would say nerve related. I have a similar situation. Had a heifer calf born a year or two ago, and her tail must have gotten cockeyed in the uterus. She was born with a kink in her tail. She still has that kink!