Drones to locate new calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks to all for the input. Lots of stuff to consider, for sure. Like 50/50 Farms mentioned, trees aren't a big problem on my place. The next tree I find here will make '1'. I THINK I could find a calf looking down into the tall grass, but no way to know until I try it. I'd also think the 'locate drone' feature some models have would be mandatory in my situation. Walking up an itty-bitty downed drone would be a lot harder than walking up a calf.

Funny story about drones. The neighbor who got one is basically across the valley and up on the hill a bit from my bone yard. So one morning at the crack of dawn I was slipping up on the bone yard hoping to shoot a coyote. A strange flashing red light was headed towards me. By this time I had already decided there was no coyotes this morning. The flashing light stopped right over the bone yard. Turned this way and that way for a minute. Then turned and headed straight towards the neighbors. About this time the neighbor's wife called our house and told my wife that our dog was at the bone yard. My wife told them that I was out there too looking for a coyote. That is when the drone headed for home. Before I shot it out of the sky. I wouldn't shoot it but I was looking through the scope trying to figure out what the heck it was.

Wife had a DJI drone that she used, frequently, to check cows during calving season... paddocks at the far end of the farm were a mile from the house, and over a hill, so you couldn't see from the house/barn. There was only a 40-ft wide swath of woods that they had access to along the upper side of the north end pasture, so she could usually see every cow, wherever they were.
It was strong enough for her to send a bottle of water back to me when I was bush-hogging back there. Had about a 4-mile signal range, and 20-30 minute battery life when flying.

Last time she used it, shortly before we dispersed the herd, it just crashed for no reason. Took her a while to find it... it was pretty messed up, and without cows, she hasn't bothered to get it repaired.
My BIL, who's a realtor, bought one to film properties he was listing for sale.

A lot of my pastures are primarily Old World Bluestem, about mid-thigh tall and pretty thick. It is sure hard to find new calves laying down in the stuff. Walking any distance is sure enough a chore, plus you almost have to step on one to see it, and you sure don't want to be trying to drive through any of that thick stuff that might hold a hidden calf. Has anyone ever used, or know of anyone who has used one of those drones to locate calves hid out in the grass? Sometimes you need to check on one that's been missing for awhile and you don't have time for momma to decide it's time to gather up her baby - or, she's acting like SHE doesn't know where the calf is and is bawling and looking hard herself. I guess they're pretty noisy and might do as much harm as good, but to be able to look straight down into that grass might be very useful.
I use a drone to check on the herd. during summer leaf on conditions its a toss up if I can find them or not since most of the time they are in the thick brush or under the trees and the drone cant see through leaves. for locating new born calves I locate the heifer that isn't by the other cattle and near good hiding areas like brush, etc. then I go take a look. Drones are weather sensitive, wind rain, cold, etc.

I've lived a mile back off any public road the majority of my life. You can't just drive up to my house. So I'm probably a little weird about my privacy. People got to flying drones around out here. Nosey people wanting to know what was behind the gate up on the hill I guess.
I finally had one of my employees post on the town Facebook page that I was fully aware it was illegal to shoot down drones and I don't care. I will shoot down your drone and face the consequences. Keep your toys on your on land.
So far so good. I hope it stays that way.

I've lived a mile back off any public road the majority of my life. You can't just drive up to my house. So I'm probably a little weird about my privacy. People got to flying drones around out here. Nosey people wanting to know what was behind the gate up on the hill I guess.
I finally had one of my employees post on the town Facebook page that I was fully aware it was illegal to shoot down drones and I don't care. I will shoot down your drone and face the consequences. Keep your toys on your on land.
So far so good. I hope it stays that way.
Good idea to post that. Anyone around there now knows, that if they'd like a new drone, just fly it over your place, and after you get bonded out you will buy them a new one!!!!

I think without an expensive thermal imager on them they'd have limited efficiency.. and I'd be scared to know what the price of that imager is since a FLIR E6 (which is about what you'd need) is close to $1k

Unless your calving area is like a golf course,drones will have its limitations. Cows will pick the thickest, gnarly-est places they can get to to calve, or hide them after words. You just can't beat horseback for finding cattle in rough , or thick, terrain.
I'll drive my Polaris to the base of the woods, get out and walk. Or hike. Sometimes face-plant. Basically, killing 2 birds with one stone: looking for a calf and getting a better workout than I would at a gym.

How about some advice sstterry, what would be the thoughts on shooting a drone that someone was flying over your private property? Let's include it being posted as private property, no trespassing.

I understand, but is that 10ft, 30ft. 100ft or what.
My understanding is that drones are allowed to fly over your property. Not hover. There's also something to expected privacy. That can be different to someone who lives in the road frontage and someone who lives back out of sight. Around here it's pretty well understood that if you go snooping around with one of those things and it gets lost your not going to get much help from law enforcement. They do after all have to go through a process to come on your property to collect evidence. You could certainly get in trouble but at the same time sometimes that's what it takes. Drone operators are no different than those idiots in spandex riding bicycles down the highway. Someone gave them right of way and it went straight to their head.

Latest posts