Drones to locate new calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bernard

Reaction score
A lot of my pastures are primarily Old World Bluestem, about mid-thigh tall and pretty thick. It is sure hard to find new calves laying down in the stuff. Walking any distance is sure enough a chore, plus you almost have to step on one to see it, and you sure don't want to be trying to drive through any of that thick stuff that might hold a hidden calf. Has anyone ever used, or know of anyone who has used one of those drones to locate calves hid out in the grass? Sometimes you need to check on one that's been missing for awhile and you don't have time for momma to decide it's time to gather up her baby - or, she's acting like SHE doesn't know where the calf is and is bawling and looking hard herself. I guess they're pretty noisy and might do as much harm as good, but to be able to look straight down into that grass might be very useful.

They really ain't as loud as they were, quieter than many trucks and any all terrain vehicle. I'd try it out, hell, it's not such a bad idea in general, you can use it to look for any critters you have. Can check for storm damage and such as well.

My neighbor got one a couple years ago. Thought they could use it to search for MIA cows on the range land. All I know is it didn't work like planned. I think it was because of the size of the search area (10,000's acres), rough terrain, and line of sight issues. One could be useful in smaller areas with a good line of sight.

I saw someone use a drone last weekend to gather cattle and herd them to the corral. He used to do that, at least. They are used to it, and won't move off away from it any more. Now he just flies it out to the herd, flies it right up to face of a lead cow, and she starts trying to get it. He just flies it back to where he wants them to go, a little bit over head high on her, and she chases it and the rest of the herd chases after her.

My neighbor works for the highway department. He inspects bridges and has his UAV pilot cert. He brings it home on weekends and he's flown over my place, mostly just taking pictures for me. Haven't had him search for calves or MIA cattle yet, but unless they were laying in the open, not sure it would find them. However, you could quickly eliminate where they're not at

I've thought about one too. We live next to an orchard and if a calf gets out its difficult to find anything. We almost lost one this year that way. The trees are trellised which makes it hard to cross. The other advantage is not trampling grass with checkups. But when I see the price for something with the range I back down. I don't have Brkhill's money.

ETA is the word Br00khill banned? I noticed others spelling and then the editor changed what I wrote when published.

We just bought the DJI Mini for that purpose. I'll let you know how it goes in February. Our cows calve on a pasture that has lots of hiding places, but grass is short in Feb. The pasture is quite steep but cows tend to calve in the little flat hidden bench areas. We were hoping to be able to look at some of the most popular calving spots, without having to climb and hike every inch of it. I have my doubts on how this will work, but my husband is excited to play with it. We will see. I'm afraid we will lose it or crash it into a tree before we ever find a calf. There favorite spots are always in the trees or brush.

I thought about getting one to look for cows out on the desert, but I think it would need to have an inferred camera on it.

It is tough (impossible) to find much when there is brush cover. Especially when there are leaves. Much like searching from an airplane, it's awful tough until very late fall. I like the infrared idea though.
Also, if you do get a drone get the upgrade for the controller so you can use an iPad or similar tablet. It doesn't take long staring into a smart phone screen looking for cows to make your eyes feel like they're being pulled out of your head.

I think a good idea but the learning curve for drones can get expensive. I have had a couple, by the time was getting halfway good at flying they were junk

I think a good idea but the learning curve for drones can get expensive. I have had a couple, by the time was getting halfway good at flying they were junk
Did you have a newer one? I didn't have to learn anything to fly it, it just goes where I tell it to. If it thinks the battery is too low it just comes home and lands.

We just bought the DJI Mini for that purpose. I'll let you know how it goes in February. Our cows calve on a pasture that has lots of hiding places, but grass is short in Feb. The pasture is quite steep but cows tend to calve in the little flat hidden bench areas. We were hoping to be able to look at some of the most popular calving spots, without having to climb and hike every inch of it. I have my doubts on how this will work, but my husband is excited to play with it. We will see. I'm afraid we will lose it or crash it into a tree before we ever find a calf. There favorite spots are always in the trees or brush.
Trees are my biggest worry if I were to buy one. I used to fly radio controlled model aeroplanes and I spent many an hour walking through bush looking for my crashed plane. They didn't last long in my hands.

Ken