Drinking water temperature

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
Didn't to hijack the "Electric cost to heat water" topic, but gonzo said "amen SR stock should have water at 40 degrees they'll drink some if it's colder but they don't get what they should"

I've wondered about this, and keep forgeting to ask or research. So, is there an ideal temp range for the water? Obviously the temp is going to be warmer in summer, cooler in winter, but is there a risk of water being to warm or to cold for different seasons?

I think it was on this sight that I read that. since that I keep my heat er plugged in , I used .to only have it on when it got real cold now it's on all winter. I noticed they look better as they drink more.

Ouachita":1l3w2r1k said:
Didn't to hijack the "Electric cost to heat water" topic, but gonzo said "amen SR stock should have water at 40 degrees they'll drink some if it's colder but they don't get what they should"

I've wondered about this, and keep forgeting to ask or research. So, is there an ideal temp range for the water? Obviously the temp is going to be warmer in summer, cooler in winter, but is there a risk of water being to warm or to cold for different seasons?
40 to 65 degrees F....obviously in hot climates maintaining this temp. in summer is impossible but a thirsty cow could care less about water tem. when it's hot.

TexasBred":3ky1p0jn said:
Ouachita":3ky1p0jn said:

40 to 65 degrees F....obviously in hot climates maintaining this temp. in summer is impossible but a thirsty cow could care less about water tem. when it's hot.

Makes a pretty good case for automatic water fountains though doesn't it TB? We have a couple in use now and I'm pushing hard to install some more.

TennesseeTuxedo":37wv9u5v said:
TexasBred":37wv9u5v said:
Ouachita":37wv9u5v said:

Makes a pretty good case for automatic water fountains though doesn't it TB? We have a couple in use now and I'm pushing hard to install some more.
Yeah especially if it's coming from deep down. Last year even the cold tap in the shower felt hot so didn't make much difference to the cows. Main thing anytime is to just make sure they have an adequate supply of water.

All I've ever worried abourt is the quantity. As for temp, anything between solid and steam seems to work for me.

dun":1qisavpt said:
All I've ever worried abourt is the quantity. As for temp, anything between solid and steam seems to work for me.
That say's it any clean water is better than dust . :!:

dun":xh839top said:

I think I've read about you using HDPE pipe laid on top of the ground. You don't ever find the water too hot? It gets hot enough here that you can't hold your hand in it long.

gberry":1s9a6ijz said:
dun":1s9a6ijz said:

I think I've read about you using HDPE pipe laid on top of the ground. You don't ever find the water too hot? It gets hot enough here that you can't hold your hand in it long.
It gets buried in the tall grass and isn;t exposed to the sun very much.

I read an article a farmer in the northwest suggested his cows used less hay than his neighbor because he heated the water in the winter. The theory is that in cold weather cows expend more energy to stay warm and warmer water helps reduce energy needs. Sort of made sense to me.

Douglas":229344fm said:
I read an article a farmer in the northwest suggested his cows used less hay than his neighbor because he heated the water in the winter. The theory is that in cold weather cows expend more energy to stay warm and warmer water helps reduce energy needs. Sort of made sense to me.

It does take energy to heat water up, but I don't know how economical it would actually be to provide heated water.

You could figure the energy required pretty easily for a fixed amount of daily water intake to see how much energy would be required to raise the water the difference between averages of non-heated water to the averages of the heated water.

dun":3l8t6sy5 said:
Is there anything to be said about the quality? I just started putting a float on a water trough and by the house and I've noticed the cows will come from across the pasture passing 2 ponds to come drink out of the trough.. surely there's something to be said for "clean" water?? Ive always just relied on ponds till now...

there's been studies done showing that cattle will drink more of water offered from a trough than from a creek, even if it's the same water, and improved weight gains were achieved as a result.

As for clean water - yes it's important also. More so for lactating/growing cattle. My cows seem able to produce on very poor quality water whereas the farmer who leased this farm last year told me his cows dried up because of the unpalatable water - he brought his cows in-milk whereas mine got used to drinking it before calving, I think that's the difference. Of course, it could have been the poor quality grass or something else that dried his cows up but I don't doubt for a minute that they did dry up very shortly after arriving on this farm (I saw one of his milk collection dockets).
My cows drink from the trough and very rarely from the creeks - their milk will drop if the trough is empty and they have access to a running creek - and it is the same water.

as for drinking from the troughs - they're also choosy about which troughs, the two on the track closest to the shed are most used and one evening I watched one of the milkers taste every trough and move on, for about seven troughs on the way home till she got to the one second from the shed. I suppose the water tasted fresher.

Cold or hot water will hydrate cattle. A water temperature under a cows core body temperature would have a cooling effect.Even 95 degree water can help cool cattle. A water temperature above a cows body temperature would help in warming the animal I would think.

B&M Farms":1haijbdb said:
Cold or hot water will hydrate cattle. A water temperature under a cows core body temperature would have a cooling effect.Even 95 degree water can help cool cattle. A water temperature above a cows body temperature would help in warming the animal I would think.
Only for a very very short time if at all.....without it she dies.

Any drink is a good thing this year anywhere in the U.S. My well is under 40-f they stay awayfrom it when I first fill'm . Idon't think it ever gets too hot here nights are cooler .In the winter we gotta heat it the top will freeze 6 inches thick in just a few hours at night. :bang:

B&M Farms":1wq4nthu said:

Would not then the cooler the water the faster/better the cooling of the cattle.

Latest posts