Big rubber tire water tanks

Help Support CattleToday:

Along the same line jedstivers told me last year to take a few one gallon jugs and pour a cup of salt in each. Then fill 1/4 to 1/3 with water. Place them in open tire or concrete tanks to keep from freezing. I done 6 orange juice jugs and never had to break ice all winter. But we did have a mild winter compared to many on here. I am a believer. They are still in the tire tank

i went to a junk yard and they had tons of them .. they were very happy I came to pick them up.

kenny thomas":t6rfi0kv said:
Along the same line jedstivers told me last year to take a few one gallon jugs and pour a cup of salt in each. Then fill 1/4 to 1/3 with water. Place them in open tire or concrete tanks to keep from freezing. I done 6 orange juice jugs and never had to break ice all winter. But we did have a mild winter compared to many on here. I am a believer. They are still in the tire tank

What kind of valves do you use Kenny? I believe Jed recommended Jobe; the kind with the float tied down to the valve on the bottom with a string.

Do you tie the salt water jug to the same string, something else in the bottom of the tank, or just let it float around?

My float is a remote that's 20ft from the tire. A cow could get in the tank and not mess anything up. Not sure the brand now.
Just let the,jugs float around.

I use them, and use to could find all the tires I wanted free but now I am having a hard time finding tires that do not have steel belting. Steel belted might work but don't know how to cut them.

kenny thomas":384t9rer said:
My float is a remote that's 20ft from the tire. A cow could get in the tank and not mess anything up. Not sure the brand now.

Don't go to much trouble but if you think of the brand of your float please let me know. I had a farm visit this morning and am thinking tire tanks due to cost. Local Extension guy prefers Jobe but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

J&D Cattle":1lkczric said:
kenny thomas":1lkczric said:

Don't go to much trouble but if you think of the brand of your float please let me know. I had a farm visit this morning and am thinking tire tanks due to cost. Local Extension guy prefers Jobe but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

i would also suggest Jobe.

J&D Cattle":fhjs8fhb said:
kenny thomas":fhjs8fhb said:

No trouble at all. Will check tomorrow. I will take a picture if I remember and have someone post it.

I use combine tires. Plenty of them here and no mining equipment tires.
I use Jobe floats
Doesn't matter about steel. You cut the sidewall out. No wire there.
Use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. Don't hold up on the part your cutting.
Lay tire in its side and cut the sidewall on the top side. Just let it fall into the tire as you cut. If you don't you will bind your blade.
Don't have to turn tire inside out.
Once you pore the concert inside put 2-4" of water on top of it. If you don't the concret can pull away from the tire as it dries.
Concret will cure underwater just fine.

I've got about a dozen of them around the farm. Some are a little bit too small to function as well as I'd like 'em to.
Been using A.Y. McDonald float assemblies - http://m.aymcdonald.com/en-US/products/ ... loat+Valve
But... really interested in your 'remote' float, KT, because the cows or horses are all the time either breaking the float arm or actually breaking the entire float assembly and riser off.

NRCS folks here would not support or advise putting them in - mandated big concrete tanks if they were doing cost-share... but I knew NRCS had cost-shared on hundreds of them just a few counties east of here - and had touted their benefits!... but depending on who's running the show, they may not allow them... so I just did 'em on my own dime. That was the last time I bothered with chasing any of those 'government' dollars.

Lucky_P":3i4g6hws said:
I've got about a dozen of them around the farm. Some are a little bit too small to function as well as I'd like 'em to.
Been using A.Y. McDonald float assemblies - http://m.aymcdonald.com/en-US/products/ ... loat+Valve
But... really interested in your 'remote' float, KT, because the cows or horses are all the time either breaking the float arm or actually breaking the entire float assembly and riser off.

NRCS folks here would not support or advise putting them in - mandated big concrete tanks if they were doing cost-share... but I knew NRCS had cost-shared on hundreds of them just a few counties east of here - and had touted their benefits!... but depending on who's running the show, they may not allow them... so I just did 'em on my own dime. That was the last time I bothered with chasing any of those 'government' dollars.

you can buy jobe valves with just a ball floating on top... nothing to break.

I've had the same one feeding my animals for like 7 years now.

jedstivers":3dyq9sqn said:
Doesn't matter about steel. You cut the sidewall out. No wire there. Use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. Don't hold up on the part your cutting
a few months back there was a tread about this and some one was having trouble cutting them due to steel belting, I understood in side wall. I posted I had cut several with a chainsaw, easy to cut. I have even split them with a chain saw. After that thread I went to the place I got mine from several years ago to get some more. The man ask me how I cut them I said chain saw and he said '' you may have been able to cut them old ones like that but you wont cut the newer tires like that due to steel belts.'' I told him I was only cutting the side walls but my understanding was the belting is in side walls also. I may have miss understood him I have been known to do that, will be finding out, I could use a couple more my self.

I have 4 of the big tanks. They each hold 1800 gallons of water. Local Co-op sells them but they won't deliver. 3 are on floats with a solar. One is at a windmill. We put a riser pipe in the center of that tank and trenched the overflow out about 85' away so there's no standing water around the tank. These are new tires that didn't pass inspection. They are cut before I get them. We use a grinder to try to smooth off the exposed wires around the top. I've also brushed some silicone over the lip to cover anything that might poke a neck. These 1800 gallon tires cost me just a little over $1,000 each. I was told the life expectancy of each tire tank is 2,600 years!!!!!!

Waterers here are gravity-fed from ponds. How well do the Jobe valves handle algae, moss, duckweed, the occasional tadpole, salamander, or small-fry fish?
The Hudson valves we used to use had to be pulled off and their screens cleaned out several times daily, back when...

BRYANT":3mvtnsjc said:
jedstivers":3mvtnsjc said:
Doesn't matter about steel. You cut the sidewall out. No wire there. Use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. Don't hold up on the part your cutting
a few months back there was a tread about this and some one was having trouble cutting them due to steel belting, I understood in side wall. I posted I had cut several with a chainsaw, easy to cut. I have even split them with a chain saw. After that thread I went to the place I got mine from several years ago to get some more. The man ask me how I cut them I said chain saw and he said '' you may have been able to cut them old ones like that but you wont cut the newer tires like that due to steel belts.'' I told him I was only cutting the side walls but my understanding was the belting is in side walls also. I may have miss understood him I have been known to do that, will be finding out, I could use a couple more my self.
I cut brand new tires as well. Course I'm talking comebine and tractor tires. New ones cut like 25 year old ones. Easy as can be.
The Michelin agribib has double the side wall any of the others do too.
I've cut probably 100 of them.

Latest posts