Big Square bales

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Feeding the big squares works out fine. Except the top bales got a little wet. In this sub zero weather that side of the bale freezes mighty solid. I set the bales on edge with the frozen side out. The twine on what was the bottom of the bale is fine. But the ends and the top side the twine is froze to the bale. I literally have to use a pick to break and pry loose a flake or two at a time. So yesterday I was trying to get the first flake or two off a bale. About 6-8 inches finally breaks loose and falls off the truck. The trouble is the twine is still firmly frozen into bother ends and I am in the middle. 40 or 50 pounds of falling hay and the twine caught me. Darn near took my ear off. Are we having fun yet?

Twine can definitely get you. I've had cows walk in it then walk around me and I end up in it. Or, they have one side and I have the other and all the sudden it feels like a fish on line.

I have watched people basically make slip knots around their hands to pull the strings out, also. 🙄

Latest posts