Disinfecting Water Tank

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi, I had my Stock tank under a mulberry tree and racoons or oppossums pooped in it. And I'm wondering what to disinfect it with?

I don't remember the exact numbers but I drive around with clorox and put one ozarka water bottle per 500g in troughs. It does pretty good keeping the algae at bay.
I buy some feeder goldfish at a pet store and put a couple or three in each tank. They keep the algae down and eat the mosquito larvae too. If the tank gets drained or freezes solid they had a better life than being fed to a bigger fish.

I buy some feeder goldfish at a pet store and put a couple or three in each tank. They keep the algae down and eat the mosquito larvae too. If the tank gets drained or freezes solid they had a better life than being fed to a bigger fish.
We use to have some in troughs but birds would show up and clean them out. Do you have problems with that?

We use to have some in troughs but birds would show up and clean them out. Do you have problems with that?
I've had racoons get them... I think. Coon tracks around the tank. I've always kept a wide chunk of floating wood in the tank for them to hide under. Sometimes the fish are gone and the wood is on the ground, so I've always thought racoons. But I suppose a bird might get them too. They are cheap enough to replace.

Edit: I see Ebenezer suggested a cinder block. Surprised I never thought of that...

UV is chlorine's enemy.
It will take only about 8 hrs of sunlight for all the chlorine from the bleach to be dissipated.
That's true. Chlorine is a gas where delivered in liquid or solid form, hence it "boils off".
I supply 9 water troughs from a water well and unlike the system water that is chlorine injected my water is free of chlorine. I buy small Clorox pool tablets and keep one in each trough. They are expensive but last a couple of weeks. They don't give off too much chlorine and you can't taste it in the water. I've tested the water in my troughs and it has less chlorine than my system water to my house. The reason it controls algae is the tablet is constantly giving up gas unlike chlorine injected water where the chlorine boils off. I haven't had to scrub a trough in 5 years.

That's true. Chlorine is a gas where delivered in liquid or solid form, hence it "boils off".
I supply 9 water troughs from a water well and unlike the system water that is chlorine injected my water is free of chlorine. I buy small Clorox pool tablets and keep one in each trough. They are expensive but last a couple of weeks. They don't give off too much chlorine and you can't taste it in the water. I've tested the water in my troughs and it has less chlorine than my system water to my house. The reason it controls algae is the tablet is constantly giving up gas unlike chlorine injected water where the chlorine boils off. I haven't had to scrub a trough in 5 years.
tabs often have stabilizer and or algeacides in them, depends on the formulation, but can also add a lot of calcium if that is a concern. personally I have no hesitation using bleach to clean/disinfect but wouldn't use any form long term for drinking without good testing and some chemistry knowledge.

Latest posts