Drinking water

Help Support CattleToday:

Is that wire hot?
Yes. It is run by a solar battery charger. Only maybe 100 feet of fence on that charger. An assortment of sale yard calves from rangeland ranches. I am sure none were hot wire trained. They did a good job of tearing it down one time but seem to be hot wire trained now.

Yes. It is run by a solar battery charger. Only maybe 100 feet of fence on that charger. An assortment of sale yard calves from rangeland ranches. I am sure none were hot wire trained. They did a good job of tearing it down one time but seem to be hot wire trained now.
If they touch it while standing in that water they will learn quick!

This morning at -7 the river was froze about 15 feet out from the bank. The ice was thick enough I couldn't break it with a shovel. I had to get an ax. I chopped a hole for them to drink. Once the sun hits and warms up a bit I will put on the hip boots and clear ice out both up and down stream.

This morning at -7 the river was froze about 15 feet out from the bank. The ice was thick enough I couldn't break it with a shovel. I had to get an ax. I chopped a hole for them to drink. Once the sun hits and warms up a bit I will put on the hip boots and clear ice out both up and down stream.
Dad talks about when he work out on the Sweetwater near Jeffrey City Wyoming, then called Home on the Range. They would chop troughs out on the ice, carry dirt and sand in their chaps so the cows could walk on the ice, then punch a hole in the ice to let the water in the trough they chopped. I think that was 58 or 59.

That sounds like more fun than I wanna deal with Dave!
Even with hip boots, I bet that water is still very cold!
Bless your heart..
I sure wouldn't want to go swimming today but the water never made my toes cold. I was in the water for 20/30 minutes. The water is only about knee deep at best. The real issue is the soft ball to bowling ball size rocks on the bottom all covered with slime. A person wouldn't want to slip and fall. That would not be fun at 10 degrees.

If they touch it while standing in that water they will learn quick!
Yep. I posted this before. The white bull had just swam that canal to mix it up with the beefmaster bull behind a barbed and hot wire fence. , hind hooves still in the water when he hit the hot wire and came back sincerely humbled. A quick learner he was. I could almost hear the beefmaster laughing.

peewee.jpg

Latest posts