Drill or Overseed??

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazyacre

Reaction score
I am wanting to plant some rye and ryegrass on mostly bahai pastures. Which is best...no-till pasture drill or broadcast overseed? Follow up question...what rate of each would you recommend? I have found some information that gave the rates in bushels per acre but nowhere can I find how much a bushel of rye or ryegrass weighs.

I think no till drill is the best way to go but I don't have one. I have an order of rye grass coming next week and will just overseed and maybe roll it.

flaboy+":3gm1i0ib said:
I think no till drill is the best way to go but I don't have one. I have an order of rye grass coming next week and will just overseed and maybe roll it.
And like everything else, Rye has gone up pretty good.Guess it's because it's mostly grown in Oregon, and has that haul bill east.I've had good luck sowing Rye without a drill.

If your ground is sandy, you can lightly disk (turn the blades straight) to scratch the surface. Then you can use a regular grain drill. This preparation is also works well for broadcasting ryegrass. Rye needs to be drilled because it is a larger seed and must be covered up.

Plant 80 to 100 lbs. rye with 25 lbs. ryegrass. Makes excellent winter and early spring pasture.

Ryegrass seed is up about $5.00 per bag here in East Texas due to a short crop in Oregon. Talked to a grower in Oregon a couple of eeks ago and he said that they made a 60% crop.

if you have access to a non till drill id do that.if not then id use a seeder. scott

If you overseed behiagrass please make sure that the summer stand is cut or grazed low and almost stopped growing or it will hurt your rye and rye grass stand. I think a drill is best but I don't have one. A disk with little or no pitch in the blades will scratch it enough to get "SEED TO SOIL CONTACT." I run my cattle in the over seed until it starts to come up to. I think it helps pack the seed to the soil but pull the cattle off as soon as you see it starting to come up.

Crowderfarms":1vuc1821 said:
flaboy+":1vuc1821 said:
And like everything else, Rye has gone up pretty good.Guess it's because it's mostly grown in Oregon, and has that haul bill east.I've had good luck sowing Rye without a drill.

So what's your feeling on Oregon Rye? I have heard several folks down here say "stay away from it". I will be getting either Marshall or Gulf Rye. Any opinions? Maybe it just a FL thing.

flaboy+":168kmow8 said:
Crowderfarms":168kmow8 said:
flaboy+":168kmow8 said:

So what's your feeling on Oregon Rye? I have heard several folks down here say "stay away from it". I will be getting either Marshall or Gulf Rye. Any opinions? Maybe it just a FL thing.
Flaboy, Rye is mostly grown in Oregon for seed. Even the Gulf and Marshall.

I think thats ryegrass yall are talking about. I know gulf and marshall is ryegrass. Elbon rye is all we can get here. I dont know where its grown at.

So what's your feeling on Oregon Rye? I have heard several folks down here say "stay away from it". I will be getting either Marshall or Gulf Rye. Any opinions? Maybe it just a FL thing

Are you asking about Linn perennial rye?
I've heard that there are much better newer varieties, I believe Marshall is one of them, but I'm from the Pacific NW, so don't think the Gulf does well herre, because I haven't heard of it.

Is anyone else confused by all the different 'rye' grasses and grains? why can't they give them a different name or something....?
Susie

Rye is a cereal grain like wheat and oats. Ryegrass is just a cool season annual bunch grass(marshall, gulf, and many more name brands).

We just leased a poor pasture from a neighbor and disced it a few weeks ago and again this past week after rain and warm weather. Over seeded it with brome/orchardgrass mixture will roll it next week before it rains again...hopefully the weather will hold for another month before it turns really cold....

Crowderfarms":wibpnpu6 said:
Flaboy, Rye is mostly grown in Oregon for seed. Even the Gulf and Marshall.

Yeah, hence my original question. They were telling me that a lot of the Oregon rye is just for lawns. I would think Gulf or Marshall would work for me regardless of if it was from Oregon or not. I wonder what type of "Oregon" rye they were referring to? This label, "Oregon" rye is just showing up down here. My rye has always come from Johnson before and never had a Oregon label before.

One tractor supply has Oregon Gulf rye for $19.98/50 and another is $24.95/50. My feed store guy is getting me Marshall from Johnson for $19/50.