Draxxin for foot rot?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I have used it on open females with foot before but not on one that could be pregnant. It is a heifer that has only been exposed a couple months. When I have used it I got better response that with LA 300 but the label worries me:

"The effects of DRAXXIN on bovine reproductive performance, pregnancy, and lactation have not been determined. Subcutaneous injection can cause a transient local tissue reaction that may result in trim loss of edible tissue at slaughter."

Tom,
For pinkeye and footrot, oxytetracyline works for me. I always make sure I get the dose right and maybe go over a couple mL. My vet also has provided a supporting statement that oxytetracyline is effective. I know Draxxin is effective but also expensive. I prefer LA 300.

inyati13":14tl2dzl said:
Tom,
For pinkeye and footrot, oxytetracyline works for me. I always make sure I get the dose right and maybe go over a couple mL. My vet also has provided a supporting statement that oxytetracyline is effective. I know Draxxin is effective but also expensive. I prefer LA 300.

Agreed. A lot of people around here will use Draxxin or Zeupriveo because they need fewer cc/ml cause they are using a dart gun. Some also think it does the job quicker. Thats just an opinion.

Im no vet, but Id say its probably been given to a pregnant cow. Your going to have a percentage of abortions. Did Draxxin cause it or how big of a chance will it cause an issue IDK.

I generally use LA300 but also in conjunction with Sustain boluses if I don't have Draxxin available & it's a fairly bad case. That said, out vet treated one of our bred cows with Draxxin & we followed up with a 2nd dose. She was pretty bad, most likely the bone was infected, and we were going to cull her shortly after the withdrawal period but I'll be darned if she didn't have her calf (vet preg checked her but she's unbelievably fat & even he couldn't get an accurate due date - oops, waaaay earlier than anticipated!)

Macrolides like Thularomizin might elevate ruminal motility, cause acidosis, ruminal atony, mammary edema, and there is some reports of ketosis.
I would follow label directions.

For what it's worth... the label on Baytril also says "...the effects of enrofloxacin on cattle or swine reproductive performance, pregnancy, and lactation have not been adequately determined."

The label on Resflor says, "Not for use in animals intended for breeding purposes. The effects of florfenicol on bovine reproductive performance, pregnancy, and lactation have not been determined. "

It's a CYA statement that means they didn't cough up the extra couple million to run a safety study in pregnant cattle. Does not mean it's safe. Does not mean it's not safe however.....

I've given draxxin to 3 pregnant cows in the last year 2,6, and 7 month breds and they all had a live calf. So it wouldn't worry me to use it again.

We have used baytril, nuflor, resflor, and draxxin all on one pregnant cow over a month and a half when she just kept getting sick. She was 4-5 months bred at the time of these treatments and had a good calf right on time. Have used pretty much all antibiotics on a bred cow over the years and haven't noticed that any specifically caused abortions. Had some cows abort after giving them but that was likely due to the fact that they were already sick. Just don't ever give Dexamethasone.

I guess that comment on the label worried me. I have used Draxxin mostly in calves but did use it once on an open cow with foot rot with good results. This cow had foot rot in the past and LA 3000 seemed to be slow to work but this year with Draxxin she seem to improve quicker. We went ahead and gave this heifer LA300 and if it doesn't improve will follow up with Draxxin.

sulfur pills used to be the top thing for hoof rot, plain penicillin or la always work for me, why use something you need a script for & costs more