Drag chains or press wheels on drill

Help Support CattleToday:

JH_cattle_co

Reaction score
I am looking at two different drills, both JD 450's, one 12' with press wheels, one 10' with drag chains. I will be using for planting oats in tilled ground and overseeding coastal on sandy ground. I would prefer a 10' with press wheels but I cant find one, so I am willing to compromise. I am leaning towards the 10', I'm just not sure how it will do overseeding. What are your preferences or recommedations?

Thanks

In bare tilled ground the chains work fine. Other then that the press wheels are better. Press wheels will work in either one so I would go with them.

In my opinion, press wheels will give you a much better seed to soil contact, Id go with press wheels. Chains help on conventional tilled ground vs nothing. You may consider getting a cultipacker and going over it after you have seeded. This would work real good too.
Jenna

cowgirl_jenna":2sme3psy said:
You may consider getting a cultipacker and going over it after you have seeded. This would work real good too.
Jenna

Do you see any difference between using the old style cultipacker and the new style steel drum packers?

Do you see any difference between using the old style cultipacker and the new style steel drum packers?

we always used the older brillion cultipacker. It worked good, last year our neighbor got a smooth drum type roller and did custom rolling. We had him roll our seeding last summer. It worked really good, and I think we got better seed to soil contact with that one. The only thing I would be afraid of with that is if you get a big rain, there may be some errosion. With the older brillion it left the ground a little rougher, but I dont know it may not be a issue either and the drum sure made a nice smooth field. Either way, I would dedfinatly roll it with something.
Jenna

I just purchased a vintage 14' 3 piece cultipacker with oak bearing blocks, and I still have a 12' cement filled culvert my Grandfather made.
Some day I will cash out and become a wealthy man because my machinery line is very collectable!

Latest posts