Tire drag

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have been saving up my tires to make a drag. In a post a couple years ago I though some one said they couldn't hardly drill through the tires? Thought they said to heat up a metal rod and punch it though?

Any tips would be appreciated. Going to do some light disking this year and would like to have a good drag to smooth it out.

When I make my feed troughs that are mounted on old tires I use a heated up rod. I have a piece of 1/2 inch rebar that I ground a bit of a point on. Use the torch to heat it red hot. Push it through. I am going through the sidewall and it still takes a good hard push.

Use an auger bit and drill through the side wall go a couple sizes bigger then you want the hole to be, worst thing you can do is push hard on the drill . Go slow let the drill do the work.
Drill a few inches down the side wall so you will be below the reinforcement the put at the corners

I'm going to have to put holes through the tread to bolt them together if I'm thinking about it right. Planning in doing a row of 5 then a row of 4, offset, with them all bolted together. The disk runs a little shy of 13' to ther outside and each tire is around 34" diameter.

I am not sure a tire drag is the best for that operation. They work great for manure but in my experience they gather to much loose dirt and the dump it it piles around the field when it gets to full. They also flex a lot so you get almost a wave effect. I have a cheap version I built with a couple cattle panels sandwiched between oak boards then used tractor tires for weight on top. It works well for what it is. Always wanted to build one with a iron frame and a good steel screen of rebar or the like but haven't been that industrious yet. Got a couple hours and about $100 in the one I have and it has made it several years of light use. Just my $.02, I am sure there are plenty on here who have turned a lot more dirt than me. They may have even more to offer.

Well shoot. I've done the cattle panel deal but they get busted up pretty quick.

I have a big i-beam that I pull behind it but it's rigid and only knocks the highs down at best. In loose soil it's too heavy and I can't use it.

I have two projects coming up if the weather cooperates. The first one is to lightly disk some pasture that is rough as heck. Going to run over it and hopefully bust up the highs. Not trying to go deep and roll it. The second will be in a couple months. On that one I will roll it a little more to prep it for planting B Dahl or Klein or some thing of that nature.

Not sure if the tire drag is good for this or if I should just buy a chain harrow?

We needed a drag so we took 2 pcs of pipe and fastened chain link between them then we fastened 2 tires at the end of that. Best drag I have ever used. Neighbors $1200 chain harrow does not do as good as my throw together with what we had laying around on does.

Well shoot. I've done the cattle panel deal but they get busted up pretty quick.

I have a big i-beam that I pull behind it but it's rigid and only knocks the highs down at best. In loose soil it's too heavy and I can't use it.

I have two projects coming up if the weather cooperates. The first one is to lightly disk some pasture that is rough as heck. Going to run over it and hopefully bust up the highs. Not trying to go deep and roll it. The second will be in a couple months. On that one I will roll it a little more to prep it for planting B Dahl or Klein or some thing of that nature.

Not sure if the tire drag is good for this or if I should just buy a chain harrow?
Yeah panels are short term for sure. A pulvamulcher is the best for that deal but not always easy to come by. If you had 2 big tractor tires they would work better IMO than the small tires you have planned. I have done that with fair results. Not perfect but bearable. Chain harrows aren't any better than a tire drag in loose dirt, again just my opinion/ experience.

We got a new cylinder and a rebuilt cylinder put on the disk last week. It's amazing how good they work when they are new. 😄

I started disking on one of the projects Friday, then my son took it over this weekend. My dad is running it today. We had an inch of rain 2 weeks ago so it doing pretty good. We are hoping to get one pass across it before tomorrow since there is a pretty good chance of rain.

It's fairly black ground so we are running the railroad rail on the first pass hitting the highs.

Trying to make a plan for the second pass. Have both old truck tires and tractor tires. Can't decide what to drag. May put a few behind the cam am and see how they work on a little test area.

This is the first time I have gotten to do any dirt work with the 6120. It is nice. That seems to be the perfect tractor for that disk.

20230122_105131.jpg

I'm not sure what tires you are planning on using. Ours is made with 22.5 truck tires, sliced down the middle. Bias plies are far easier to cut if you can find them.

Ours is bolted together but I have also made them simply by wrapping the chain around the tire and either welding or using a connecting link. The tires are flexible enough that the backside will cover any groove made by the chain.

I'm not sure what tires you are planning on using. Ours is made with 22.5 truck tires, sliced down the middle. Bias plies are far easier to cut if you can find them.

Ours is bolted together but I have also made them simply by wrapping the chain around the tire and either welding or using a connecting link. The tires are flexible enough that the backside will cover any groove made by the chain.
The truck tires are off my truck. They are 35x12, 10ply, Nitto Mud Terrains. They are pretty heavy.

I found that the Dewalt cobalt brad point bits from Lowes will cut through the tread of semi tires with no problem. Have to use a 1/2 inch bit and a heavy hammer to get a 3/8 bolt through the hole or you can thread it in if you are lucky. I bought some clevis end turn buckles to use with short chains to fasten them together. We put a piece of angle across the front with welded I bolts to chain to. We drilled holes in one side of the sidewall and put a bunch of 3 1/2 by 3/8 bolts with big washers through to cover seed. You can flip it over to smooth things out. Will try to get pix tomorrow. My kids call it the Turd Terminator.

i made a drag by chaining tires together in a v pattern..works great on cow piles and against fences and gates..will kick off them if you hit a post...have used it on disked ground and it will pick up some dirt..but seems to make it work better

i made a drag by chaining tires together in a v pattern..works great on cow piles and against fences and gates..will kick off them if you hit a post...have used it on disked ground and it will pick up some dirt..but seems to make it work better
Dirt got on the inside of tires and added a little weight?

That's what worries me about tractor tires.

Latest posts