Tire drag

Help Support CattleToday:

Use a hole saw take your holes.
That works but is a pita to get the cutout part out of the hole saw if the tires are steel belted.
I used a .270 to shoot holes thru about 2 dozen to make a gap in a low spot but had to drive the bolts thru the holes, since they pretty much closed right up. (Pretty hard to find the holes too.) A vee tire drag makes a pretty good tool to control grass fire if it isn't high grass and wind driven.)

I use rear tractor tires most are not steel belted. Just take a chainsaw and cut a hole in it and pull till your heart is content. I took an old 3 point hutch 6 row tool bar and welded eyes on it and chained 4 tires to it and it works fine

I use rear tractor tires most are not steel belted. Just take a chainsaw and cut a hole in it and pull till your heart is content. I took an old 3 point hutch 6 row tool bar and welded eyes on it and chained 4 tires to it and it works fine
After watching the tires I used I could see the tractor tires working good. The extra weight would help, imo.

Do you have a picture of that for those of us who are verbally challenged?

I am not sure a tire drag is the best for that operation. They work great for manure but in my experience they gather to much loose dirt and the dump it it piles around the field when it gets to full. They also flex a lot so you get almost a wave effect. I have a cheap version I built with a couple cattle panels sandwiched between oak boards then used tractor tires for weight on top. It works well for what it is. Always wanted to build one with an iron frame and a good steel screen of rebar or the like but haven't been that industrious yet. Got a couple hours and about $100 in the one I have and it has made it several years of light use. Just my $.02, I am sure there are plenty on here who have turned a lot more dirt than me. They may have even more to offer.
I agree, they work really good for manure on hard ground, but on plowed ground they will just go down in the low spots and not level it out, I made one out of I beam it fills in the lower spots a lot better than my tire drag.

Latest posts