Dr Oz didn't speak well of grain fed beef today

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
I don't watch Dr Oz but I saw today the featured story would be on beef , not realizing it would be negative on grain fed beef.
The quest ( who they honored him for being a whistle blower on grain fed beef) was Will Harris who owns White Oak Pastures of Bluffton Georgia. He talked about all the unhealthy additives , medicines, growth hormones and corn with GMO's that that is fed feed lot cattle, and all the benefits of grass fed feed.
I think all he was doing was promoting his own ranch which raises grass fed beef, the audience ate it up with both ears, clapping when anything negative was mentioned.

Can't believe you actually watched that moron. I get sick just listening to his voice. He is one of those people I hope gets a dose of irony in the form of a bus.

This sort of thing really aggravates me. We cattle producers, as a whole with very very few exceptions, take raising cattle seriously and with pride. We know that we have to give them quality feeds, mineral, veterinary care, and humane treatment, in order for them to produce and perform well. I know that may be a bit off topic of grass fed vs corn fed, but those shows tend to highlight all the negative views that some folks have of animal agriculture. I see a lot of grass fed marketing, and I'm ok with that, but I do think some go too far when trying to promote their product by running down other methods. I prefer grain fed beef myself. I think that there are certainly opportunities for niche marketing of grass fed beef. I just don't think that it is possible to have large scale forage finished beef production.

Is he the one that the US Senate reamed out last year about his "Miracle weight loss supplements" and Columbia Univ doctors called for his ouster?

Two unrelated observations:

1) Dr. Oz is a quack.

2) In the blind beef-tastings we've run on our farm for years, the top picks (and bottom picks) are almost always "100% grass-fed-only beef" and the ones in the middle (in terms of taste / juiciness / overall palatability) are grain finished. The results from the American Royal blind taste testing each year would back this up -- the very highest (and lowest) scores go to "100% grass-fed-only" ribeyes, with the more consistent scores to the grain fed options. So, for those of you who prefer grain fed beef, I would suspect you've never had a really (!) good grass-only steak.

cowboy43":17fnse2v said:
I don't watch Dr Oz but I saw today the featured story would be on beef , not realizing it would be negative on grain fed beef.
The quest ( who they honored him for being a whistle blower on grain fed beef) was Will Harris who owns White Oak Pastures of Bluffton Georgia. He talked about all the unhealthy additives , medicines, growth hormones and corn with GMO's that that is fed feed lot cattle, and all the benefits of grass fed feed.
I think all he was doing was promoting his own ranch which raises grass fed beef, the audience ate it up with both ears, clapping when anything negative was mentioned.

Hmmmm, you'd think there would be some type of data and medical expert they could speak with about the effects of all this. Instead, they pull any Yahoo with cracker Jack box created credentials and tell the story they want to tell, and people believe it.

One of my wife's good friend is a PA, her husband a pretty successful money manager, we took a few steaks over one day, they had all kinds of misinformation from the media. By the end of the meal, he was ready to buy a whole steroid riddled grain fed beef that actually had flavor and tenderness vs the "organic" stuff they had been subjecting their children to.

Healthy or unhealthy, I prefer grain fed beef. Just my :2cents:

Maybe someday I will get the chance to eat a "good grass fed" steak. I'm certainly not opposed to trying another one. I'm a "beef" eater. Even a sorry piece is better than a chicken.

Dr. Oz does one thing well: Scare the public into watching his show. Ex: I'm a rad tech (I take x-rays). I had an 84 y/o woman who came in complaining of wrist pain for a couple of months. No trauma, it's swollen, but otherwise nondescript. She tells me that she's been watching the Dr. Oz and she's pretty convinced she's 'got the bone cancer.'

I won't even begin on what he's told everyone about getting an x-ray.

cowboy43":1d9tbbk2 said:
Will Harris who owns White Oak Pastures of Bluffton Georgia. He talked about all the unhealthy additives , medicines, growth hormones and corn with GMO's that that is fed feed lot cattle, and all the benefits of grass fed feed.

Its amazing how he can supply beef all the way out to the Whole Foods store in Dallas and consistently have such pretty white marbling year round with just a couple hundred head of cattle. Just sounds to good to be true doesn't it?

I have no time for people or politicians that promote their views by badmouthing the opposite view.
I have respect for people that promote their product or view purely by telling of its attributes.
Ken

wbvs58":1m6toarg said:
I have no time for people or politicians that promote their views by badmouthing the opposite view.
I have respect for people that promote their product or view purely by telling of its attributes.
Ken

I agree. In a free market quality sells itself and demands a higher price due to limited supply so when a producer resorts to negative marketing and lies to sell their wares at inflated prices it should tell you something about both the producer and their product. Sadly the smell of unicorn farts and dreams of colorful rainbows blur some people's reasoning and decision making.

Coincidentally, the other day when I didn't make a new friend, this fella too was quoting Dr. Oz as his source for why farmer's and cattlemen were so bad.

dun":12gdhl9n said:
Is he like the wizard of oz? Never heard of him before this

I think his show airs during working hours. Never seen it myself just heard people talking about him. I think its customary to drink Kool Aide while watching his show.

Jogeephus":1x0s486t said:
dun":1x0s486t said:

I think his show airs during working hours. Never seen it myself just heard people talking about him. I think its customary to drink Kool Aide while watching his show.
From the sounds of it, seems like you have to mainline the koolaide rather than drink it

TexasBred":12fb789i said:
Wait until he starts on "Pork". You do know he is a smooth shaved "Muslim"??????

His operation was also subsidized by with your tax dollars from the Tobacco Lawsuit. I was told he got $5M.

Jogeephus":3mwxtf9y said:
dun":3mwxtf9y said:

Key phrase --- "...his show airs during working hours..."

The only people who watch him are people who don't have anything better to do.

Latest posts