Don't You Just...

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Hate it when...

We brought the main herd of cows home this morning. Brought the bred heifers in and then spent a good part of the day sorting heavy, dry and bad eyes etc out of the other 250 head. Got them all sorted and turned them into the Calving pen with the heifers. Turned the rest of the herd out and fed them (away from the newly sorted cows). Just got the first 2 bales rolled out, turned around to go get more and here come 42 out of the 49 head we had just separated. Someone jumped on the plank fence and broke the top plank. If I ever figure out who it was they won't be around here much longer.... Now we gotta get them all back in tomorrow and do it all over again...

Cows start calving about Mar 1, but we had a preemie last night. He didn't make it, even though it wasn't that cold out. I don't really think he came out alive. So the start off isn't so good. We have probably 20 or so head that are showing pretty good already though, I don't really think they will all make it to Mar 1.

Yes....I hate it when that sort of thing happens. I hav had similar experiences.

Sorry to hear about that 1st calf. with any luck that will be the worst thing you ahve to deal with this season.

Katherine

fence pushers and jumpers aint worth the trouble . Ifyou figure it out I'd sacrifice one for the good of many. :mrgreen:

I'm sure we will figure out which one she is. Sooner or later she will make a mistake.....

We got them all in and sorted this morning. Glad we did cause the weather sure is nasty now!!

Yes I do hate it - but I have one that is even better.

About 10 - 12 years ago - sorted 400 calves off cows to be weaned.

Went to bed to the lovely sound of cows and calves singing in the breeze.

Woke up to dead silence at around 0300 give or take.

I did not even get up and go out to look - I knew what had happened - they were back together.

One full day of work turned into a full day of fence fixing and pen fixing and then another day of sorting again.

The way it goes I suppose. LOL

Be safe and be happy.

Bez

We had a cow once that got in the habit of jumping fences, much like a deer. She went where she wanted when she wanted until one day she went in our barn and I closed the gate (and shut the door). Backed the trailer up and then she went where I wanted her to go. BYE BYE...

Good luck on your calving season!!

Bez, that is pretty bad. Back in our learning days, we had a fun experience one time at weaning too. The cows and calves had been about 1/2 mile from home, kitty corner across the main grid road, on a half section. We brought them home and weaned and sold the calves. The cows spent the next 3-4 days making a big circle. They crashed the gate on the home quarter, took out the gate kitty corner on the half section, walked/grazed etc their way down to the far end, crashed that gate and then took the grid road home again. We were lucky, no one ran into a cow and nothing major happened, but that sure wasn't good! That was the time we learned to bring the cows home the night before if we wanted them to stay there...

Jenna and Kerley, once we figure out which one she is, she'll be at the next sale.

First thing I do is check every gate. Not just a look but rather go up and test the chains. To many times some fool didn't chain it back correctly. Then I check perimiter fencing and panels. Oil the cut gates and chain latches.

No hooting and hollering from anyone. No running. That's a hard one for kiddoes but I allow my grandkiddoes to come along. It is the only way they'll learn. Same as I did.

With all the precautions, there are still train wrecks.

An ounce of medicine............

Latest posts