Don't run your mouth.

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a heifer show up lame a few weeks ago. I knew she was getting close to calving. She ended up with what the vet calls hip lock and was dragging her right rear leg. Had to drag her out of a pond that she managed to get into. Unfortunately, I found the calf and the coyotes beat me to it. I have a feeling she couldn't get up to defend it. got her penned up and some anti-inflammatory from the vet and she is up and fine now.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Any update?

She was up wobbling around feeding with the herd this morning and is now in the shade with the herd but hasn't laid down yet. I was hoping someone might buy her as a nurse cow, but she's to wobbly to load.

TG hate too see that. All of us who have been around livestock knows that the bad comes with the good. It comes in cycles sometimes. Last year I got hot hard it seemed. This year overall had been good till this month. Lost a 400# calf to coccidious then Monday found the young Angus bull with a cut hind foot. He had been with the cows ten days. Took him to the vet. At least not severe but he wrapped it and said too keep him off the cows for a week. I hesitate to ever say how well things are going. Hope things turn around for you.

elkwc said:
TG hate too see that. All of us who have been around livestock knows that the bad comes with the good. It comes in cycles sometimes. Last year I got hot hard it seemed. This year overall had been good till this month. Lost a 400# calf to coccidious then Monday found the young Angus bull with a cut hind foot. He had been with the cows ten days. Took him to the vet. At least not severe but he wrapped it and said too keep him off the cows for a week. I hesitate to ever say how well things are going. Hope things turn around for you.

My bull cut his front foot the 2nd day with the cows, looks like he found some barbed wire... doesn't seem to hurt his mobility.. Put some iodine on it and it seems to be alright.

Nesikep said:
elkwc said:

My bull cut his front foot the 2nd day with the cows, looks like he found some barbed wire... doesn't seem to hurt his mobility.. Put some iodine on it and it seems to be alright.

Normally that is what I would of done. In this case we are very muddy, it was his left hind foot and we just bought him in March so decided it best to take him to the vet. He was still breeding cows. Hopefully he will be ready to turn vack out next week

elkwc said:
Nesikep said:
elkwc said:

Normally that is what I would of done. In this case we are very muddy, it was his left hind foot and we just bought him in March so decided it best to take him to the vet. He was still breeding cows. Hopefully he will be ready to turn vack out next week
Good call.. better to miss a week than to have bigger problems. I was NEARLY able to bandage it but he was too interested in cows to stand still for me.

It's always an unpleasant view. Can feel that feel of the heart sinking...
Remember last year was keeping a pretty close eye on one small heifer due to calve. That day checked her in the morning- nothing. After a couple hours have found her separated from the herd lieing on her side with her head and back being abit lower than her legs and bottom... She managed to calve a live big calf herself, had a prolapse and was very bloated. When we found her, she was already almost gone, just having her last couple breaths... When you have more cattle it's just a matter of time, when you'll loose a life, but even knowing that it never gets easier.

alisonb said:
This is all wrong...the calf is almost as big as her. Feed her TGF, feed the poor little girl!

That's a 4 letter word around here. Grass and some new growth is available for those that want to hustle, the cattle that can't do their job get to feed the world.

True Grit Farms said:
alisonb said:
This is all wrong...the calf is almost as big as her. Feed her TGF, feed the poor little girl!

That's a 4 letter word around here. Grass and some new growth is available for those that want to hustle, the cattle that can't do their job get to feed the world.
The world will starve if that is the case.

alisonb said:
True Grit Farms said:
alisonb said:

The world will starve if that is the case.

45% of the beef sold in the US of A is hamburger, my cows are full of that.

Latest posts